Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would ancient Civ II strategy threads interest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would ancient Civ II strategy threads interest you?

Just curious.

During Apolyton's first year (and later as well) the Civ II strategy forum ruled. It was, in fact, almost as lively as the off-topic forum today... Imagine the same buzz, but all about Civ II strategy...

New threads by the minute, posts quickly building up within them... Tips, questions, debate... This was before "the scientific approach" to analyzing the game had fully developed... Most advice was experience-based (as opposed to experiment-based, even though much testing was conducted concerning, for example, the Civ II battle engine) and discussions were lively and fun...

I guess many printed the threads and archived them, at least that's what I did. The collection quickly grew out of control and started to take up lots of space in my small student room...

So a few years later, when my Civ and Apolyton addiction had losened their grip somewhat (and the old strategies were hopelessly outdated), I decided to throw it all away, something I regret today...

My question is this: would it interest you to read the old strategy threads?

Carolus

You can find threads going back to Nov of 99 just by selecting view all threads from the beginning in the Civ II Strategy Forum
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

True, but that's post - OCC as well as after MP was released, both changing strategy a lot. The first year (and more) is gone...

Carolus

Comment

Did they get deleted in an upgrade?

Comment

I think they were part of the UBB archives, which IIRC were never converted to vBB.
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

That is correct
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, the real early ones would be more good for amusement than good stratagy advice. Our early ignorance of the game made for some entertaining advice.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Would ancient Civ II strategy threads interest you?

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

My question is this: would it interest you to read the old strategy threads?

Carolus
                Only if they contain pictures of large-breasted women...

Comment

Actually, I must confess it would be amusing to read some of the early false steps and strategic musings of today's acclaimed Civ2 masters...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Did anyone pull all the stats together in one place for CivII? Anything like what Vel did for SMAC? That would be worth reading.
                    I never looked at any of the CivII threads as I had already stopped play it by the time I found this site.

Comment

I would have liked to see that. Post in the Civ 2 forum by the minute. Amazing

On a side note, Carolus: Why post this, when your transcripts are clearly not available? To taunt us ??

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I would be interested, just to see people's thought processes.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Re: Would ancient Civ II strategy threads interest you?

Originally posted by Feephi

Only if they contain pictures of large-breasted women...
                          That's a no then...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                            Actually, I must confess it would be amusing to read some of the early false steps and strategic musings of today's acclaimed Civ2 masters...
                            Exactly my thought! Not only that, but to feel the novelty of the game again...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

On a side note, Carolus: Why post this, when your transcripts are clearly not available? To taunt us ??
                              Heh, heh.

No, I just felt a tad of nostalgia yesterday and wanted to know if someone else occasionally long to the days when the Civ II fora were the core of Apolyton...

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                              X