No announcement yet.

Petition for the owners to ban leet speak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's possible to post a reply in a foreign language so long as you provide a translation.

Lafayette and I prefer to use his French if possible.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Well as for leet being understood by english speaking people...

It really depends on what language you use as the base for your leet, doesn't it?

Technically, leet can be based on any language.

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean
        Technically, leet can be based on any language.
        I've never seen leet being based on anything other than English, though, hence my assumption that English-speaking people should be able to understand it. In fact, I am fairly confident that leet is an English-based phenomenon. From what I understand, the thing took start around the same time as automatic censors appeared. So that the people would essentially be able to circumvent the censors by changing their a's to @'s, i's to 1's, etc, so as to not be kicked from a chat room, or banned from the forums, and such. And seeing how back then the Internet was mostly a US thing (well, I can't speak for western Europe, but in Russia, where I lived till recently, from all of my friends, only one or two had an Internet connection up till a couple years ago), I still think it is a fair assumption that leet is based on english. Though I suppose it is true, that any latin alphabet-based language can technically be a base for leet.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

• Originally posted by vovansim

I've never seen leet being based on anything other than English
          Neither have I, but technically it could be

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• I got a new question. Most languages can be spoken, right? Can one actually talk in 1337 (except for reading the numbers out)? I have a hard time to call 1337 a language myself. It's like misspelled words. You can still understand it (some times easier other times harder), but that doesn't mean it's actually a language, foreign or non foreign.
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Hmmm isn't spoken 1337 English?
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• If you use a very loose definition of English.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• In the 8/16-bit era crackers & demo groups tried to do their best to come up with coherent and readable sentences in english. Maybe those classic text adventures had something to do with it. How else would you be able to play Zork?

Leet (1337) - speak certainly didn't originate from the hacker scene, more from the outer fringes surrounding it. The wannabees/beginners were often called "lame" or "lamers" a popular definition at the time.
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• Originally posted by vovansim
                    Right, so, pretty much, as I guessed in one of the above posts. Then I wonder, if leet speek qualifies as foreign language. I suppose not, since the english-speaking people can actually understand it, normally.
                    There's a reading test you can perform. try to scramble the letters in every word except for the first and the last letter and see if you can still understand it. We tend recognize words by the first and last letter even when the rest is garbled up.

The sentence listed above would become:
                    Trehe's a tset you can prerofm. try to scmlrbae the ltertes in erevy wrod epcext for the frist and the last lteetr and see if you can sltil usnertdand it.

Now try it with leet-speak.
                    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• Originally posted by CapTVK
                      Trehe's a tset you can prerofm. try to scmlrbae the ltertes in erevy wrod epcext for the frist and the last lteetr and see if you can sltil usnertdand it.
                      ']['|2343'$ 4 7537 j00 k4|/| pr3r0ph|\/|. 7|2y 07 $cm1rb43 t3h 173|273zz 1|\| 3r3vee '//|20d 3pc3><7 4 73h 1 & te|-| 1@$7 17347r & c if u c@n 517i1 u$|/|3r7dA|\|d ti!!!1! j00 n00b

Sweet.

CapTVK, I certainly didn't say leet speek originated from the hacker scene. It originated from the kids that wanted to swear and not be kicked off from the chats. At least that's the impression I got.
                      XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

• CapTVK,

To paraphrase Big Cruch, Captain Cnut will not like to have his name scrambled the way you suggested
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• What's happening here? Has Ming lost his key or something?!?!?
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• I am surprised as well.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X