Petition for the owners to ban leet speak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition for the owners to ban leet speak

So, at the risk at making myself stand out as an old geezer, I really think it is time that this issue came up.

More and more posters are using leet in more and more posts. I (obviously) don't like this, and I'll give you a couple of reasons why:

1) It kills English. The language is getting raped by youngsters who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They may think it is cool and funny, but really all they are doing is kill the language. Some may argue that the language is evolving. I say no. It is getting stomped by barbarians.

2) It is plain ugly. There is no way around it. Leet looks hideous. It is revolting.

So I would really like to see Apolyton take a stance on this issue, and say NO to leet. Other forums have done this. Let Apolyton be the next.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

STFU n00b!!!1
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Seriously, this is one of the most stupid threads I've ever read, and that's really saying something.

If somebody repeatedly uses leet-speak and it annoys you then PUT THEM ON IGNORE! That's what it is there for, for christ's sake.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, FP.

I knew I was sticking my neck out with this. And I only did it because this is something that I care about.

BUT THERE WAS NO NEED TO GET PERSONAL, OKAY FP!!!!!!!

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I'd rather see soem filters that replace common 'leet speak' phrases with more interesting things.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Nah, don't ban it, but make it ok to personally abuse anyone that uses it in the most strong terms without restraint, pouring scorn on thier family, venom on thier personal hygiene habits and generally boiling thier head in acid.

I imagine that would have the desired effect, apart from a few leet-using masoschists.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

So, my temper has calmed a bit after that load of crap from FP.

Calmed enough for me to adress his second point: Using ignore.

Just because a poster has a tendancy to use leet, doesn't mean that he/she cannot have valid points. I am not about to cut myself off from a large part of the posts here, only because of leet.

And yeah...I can live with leet. It wont kill me. But it makes sad that language is being raped by people who only want to show off. Which is also why I raised this issue. I know that the chances of a leet ban here on 'poly is nought. But the debate would perhaps do us good.

Asmodean

Comment

This is an English Language site. If somebody abuses the use of leet, they will be treated as anybody else that does the same with any other non English language.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Leet is abominable. Burn the heretics that use it.

Comment

Leet cannot be used to communicate the same depth of ideas that real English can. If one is puposefully trying to communicate in a language that is defined by its spam potential and not by its ability to clearly transfer ideas then it becomes nothing but spam. Leet should not be used on 'poly, but since it is a type of freedom of expression it is good to see that it is not banned. It is equally good that it will be well moderated.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      This is an English Language site. If somebody abuses the use of leet, they will be treated as anybody else that does the same with any other non English language.
                      That is good enough for me

Glad to know that the owners/mods do not consider leet to be English

Asmodean

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        Good point, the Spanish got a Spanish forum and the Finnish got a place to type Finnish posts.

Any chance of the Leetiots getting a Leet Forum so they don't annoy the rest of us?

Comment

Why on earth would you wan to ban leet speek? There isn't anything offensive about it. Maybe there is- and maybe I should also get mad a the Spanish/Swedish/whatever other language threads, cause I don't understand them either...

Leet is English, just using oddly shaped characters to form words. People here don't talk in l337 all the time, I've only seen it used to make a point or for humor.
                          cIV list: cheats
                          Now watch this drive!

Comment

Many of the times leet is used... it's soley for spam purposes... so it's treated like normal spam. If it's used occasionally to make a point of humor... or not as spam... and not overused by a poster, I've not had a problem with it.

And I really don't think we will be seing a leet forum
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And I really don't think we will be seing a leet forum

As long as leet is used for comical purposes I don't really have a problem with it, I can remember a couple of posts in the civ3 strat forum that were bloody annoying though.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X