No announcement yet.

Petition for the owners to ban leet speak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see what's so wrong with leet-speak, to be honest. Sure it's ugly, incomprehensible, irritating, boring, unfunny and 3 years out of fashion, but so are most of us.

Let he who is without 51|\| cast the first 570|\|e.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

1'd r47h3r b4n +1 7hr34d5 my53|f.

[translation]
      I putting myself forward to be made into an example of what happens to people who over use leet.
      [/translation]
      American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
      I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
      Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
      XGalaga.

Comment

I think this is not about the use of leet speak as such, but rather the attitude. Have you noticed how any time someone posts anything about what they don't like in these forums, the very first response will be like that, just because.

Asmodean says he doesn't like leet speek, the thread becomes instantly full of it.

Someone before posted they didn't like it when people used underlines, the very first response was fully underlined.

Even earlier, someone said it was rude to use all caps... Sure enough, all of the responses were all caps...

If I said that it hurts my eyes to read colored text, I'll bet some original character would post something in red, or better yet, in every color of the rainbow.

I think it just tells you a little something about the people that post here. Used every now and then, such approach may be funny, or would actually make a good point. But seriously, the way people do it here is just being rude and stupid, IMO.

[/rant off]

Now, as far as leet speek itself goes... I don't much like it and in fact normally get a very bad impression about the persons using it, but if it is not abused and only used for a joke's purpose every now and then, I'm fine with. Of course, like the saying goes: "A joke told once is funny; a joke told twice is boring; a joke told three times is stupid." Same goes for leet speek, I think. Sure, it's funny every now and then, but when everybody becomes a copycat, it gets unoriginal, boring, and often times quite annoying.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Does doing this make me rude and stupid, or just lazy because I couldn't be bothered to do it in every colour of the rainbow?

Comment

Asmodean says he doesn't like leet speek, the thread becomes instantly full of it.

Someone before posted they didn't like it when people used underlines, the very first response was fully underlined.

Even earlier, someone said it was rude to use all caps... Sure enough, all of the responses were all caps...

Maybe it's because some people don't like whingers who try and dictate the manner in which other people should express themselves?

Comment

All three at once?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                All three at once?
                You might have something there.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Where did I get personal?
                  I was going to post this too but then reread your answer and I thing he means the fact that you called his post stupid.

Maybe it's because some people don't like whingers who try and dictate the manner in which other people should express themselves?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, it's not because they don't like the whiners. It's because they don't have the common curtesy or willingness to make the community pleasant for everybody. Imagine in real life: you are studying for a test. And I am your roommate. I turn up some Metallica. You tell me to turn it down, because you can't concentrate. What do I respond? "You whiner!" And turn the music up even louder.

Acceptable? Maybe. Good practice? Nope, because next time you find something annoying on these forums, I will take every opportunity to make you see it as often as possible.
                    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
                      No, it's not because they don't like the whiners. It's because they don't have the common curtesy or willingness to make the community pleasant for everybody. Imagine in real life: you are studying for a test. And I am your roommate. I turn up some Metallica. You tell me to turn it down, because you can't concentrate. What do I respond? "You whiner!" And turn the music up even louder.

Acceptable? Maybe. Good practice? Nope, because next time you find something annoying on these forums, I will take every opportunity to make you see it as often as possible.

Comment

So Vov, what if he's a punker and his mohawk disturbs you, should he get a haircut too?
                        (well he should, but that's beside the point )

-
                        Don't get me wrong, as I said before I really don't like Leet speak.
                        There is actually quite a lot I don't like (in general), can't ban them all, just accept it as a fast of life or hide in a cave somewhere with a mirror as your compagnon.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Well, I don't think leet speek should be banned either. That wasn't really my point. I just wanted to point out the tendency to do things that annoy people on purpose as we have seen in this thread.
                          Spore page

Comment

Let's ban American while we're at it.

So, at the risk at making myself stand out as an old geezer, I really think it is time that this issue came up.

More and more posters are using American in more and more posts. I (obviously) don't like this, and I'll give you a couple of reasons why:

1) It kills English. The language is getting raped by Americans who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They may think it is cool and funny, but really all they are doing is kill the language. Some may argue that the language is evolving. I say no. It is getting stomped by barbarians.

2) It is plain ugly. There is no way around it. American looks hideous. It is revolting.

So I would really like to see Apolyton take a stance on this issue, and say NO to American. Other forums have done this. Let Apolyton be the next.

Tassadar
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

What about Aussie speak!!

Nicely put Tass

Comment

Gee, aren't we taking things out of proportion

Asmodean's belief is perfectly valid. He abhores leet speak, and wishes to make a point about it to the moderators. Leet speak is spam. Spam spam, bloody spam.

If you want to look like a f**king prat, go ahead. I care not a jot for these people, being the English language nazi that I am.

And, quite frankly, what does American English have to do with it. Threads on "American English sucks arse" are few and far between, and doesn't annoy people as much as:

j00 15 p\/\/n3d! c0/\/\/\/\()n15/\/\ r0xx0rz!

Comment

Working...
                                X