No announcement yet.

OktoberFist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote allow it. I have always used it - not because of the bug (only found out about that recently) but because I find it very convenient ...
    Team 'Poly

Comment

I vote to allow it. I'm with Misotu on this one. I also find it useful and just found out about the bug.
      "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "That which does not kill me, missed." -- Anonymous war gamer
      "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

Stockpiling in the Building Cue?

Bug?

I am afraid I am unfamilier with either at this point :-)! Would someone care to fill me in on this one before we all start using it?

I would be MOST appreciative.

Any other bug's I should know about? I do not know of any as I spend little time online researching SMAC or SMAX, I just play like a fool :-)!

Thanks and Sorry again for the delay's with the turns, there will be no more. This is my first PBEM SMAX game so I'm learning as I go. Don't hesitate to yell at me if I mess something up as that's the only way I shall learn.

Regards,
        DaRanger
        Lone Protector of the Grove
        DaRanger,
        Sole Proprietor!
        "DaRangers Deep Space Spice and Fungus Grove"
        Place your order today. We deliver via missile payloads!

Comment

Hi DaRanger!

The stockpiling thing is as follows (hope I get this right!)

The game does not calculate energy correctly under the following circumstances:

a) When you build a base facility, and there is nothing after it in the queue
          b) When you build a unit, and place "stockpile energy" in the queue after it.

Under these two circumstances, you receive extra energy. It used to be the equivalent of half the number of minerals generated by the base - I think - but I believe that one of the patches changed this so it's now a bit less.

Now the reason why this is a bummer is that there are people like me who like to put stockpile energy in the queue after a unit, because otherwise your base just keeps building the same unit over and over. With the stockpile entry, I can ensure that I don't slip up and build more units than I want.

Apolyton addresses this situation by forbidding people to put stockpile energy in the queue after a unit

ACOL addresses it by informing everyone about the bug, and then letting them play the game the way they want.

The latter is my preference, not just because it mirrors how I play anyway, but also because I get a little tired of being forbidden to use facilities in the game simply because something doesn't work quite right or people have arbitrarily decided that they don't like the way it works (design workshop upgrades, for example. classic case). After all, there are loads of things in SMAC/X that don't work quite right
          Team 'Poly

Comment

I've always put a fac after a unit in a build queue to stop repeat building, rather than stockpile. But I don't really care what other people do...it can't make that much of a difference can it (am ready to eat my words)

Comment

I don't necessarily know what facility I might want after the unit. It can take a few turns to build a unit, and by then I might be heading somewhere completely different ...

Yeah, unfortunately, it does make a difference what you put in the queue. Read the above Over the length of a game, if I use stockpile energy I will make a load more energy than you for free, I'm afraid. Maybe not the decider, sure. But it will certainly make a difference over time ...
              Team 'Poly

Comment

MY2182 to Forman Gopher

I don't see a problem with the stockpile bug, as long as everyone agrees to allow it. You can never have enough energy
                "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

DaBug

Cool, thanks for the info.

I guess I am lazy, Unless I am at war I let the
                  gov. do most of the building. I will run production
                  on a base for the first 25 - 40 years to get what I
                  need for that particular base and then I turn it over
                  to DaGov. He's alway's been reliable for me and it
                  seems that later in the game I am REALLY glad he
                  took care of things!

DaRanger,
                  Sole Proprietor
                  DaRangers Deep Space
                  Spice and Fungus Grove
                  DaRanger,
                  Sole Proprietor!
                  "DaRangers Deep Space Spice and Fungus Grove"
                  Place your order today. We deliver via missile payloads!

Comment

turn sent to XWaste
                    "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

2182 to jschwab

Comment

2183 sent to Misotu.

Stockpile is fine with me... It's there, I tend to ignore it since I do not use the queues anyway. Guess I am just a hands on kind of guy...

JSchwab

Comment

Nothing much to report, 2183 sent to Googlie at ireland.com

So ... what's the concensus on Workshop upgrades?

As far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong - you can upgrade more cheaply unit by unit. But if you use the workshop, you don't lose a move (and I believe some damage is healed, too).

Apolyton says this is unfair. I say this is part of the game design. I propose we allow workshop upgrades at any point in the turn ... ??
                          Team 'Poly

Comment

I agree

Comment

I also agree. Workshop upgrades can really save your bacon

Comment

2183 sent on to DaRanger

Comment

Working...
                                X