X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And i don't think we ever did put a pic of SNC Pegasus up:
    Attached Files

Comment

• Very well. As commander of the new impact rover unit commissioned at Santigo Citadel, I am exercising my rights and naming it. This is the first rover unit constructed in this new era of Spartan nationalism, with the Modo doctrine coming into full force in young Spartan minds and the Command Nexus looming on the horizon. They will get their name from one of the mythical heroes in Spartan (greek actually) mythology, the twins Castor and Pollux, also known as the Dioscuri (also starring in the Gemini constellation). They are said to have been Spartas patrons and protectors. Castor was a skilled horseman and Pollux a skilled boxer, and with this unit being a rover unit, it is only fitting that it is named after Castor. So let it be know that the unit be called the Castor Horsemen!

With some photoshop-abuse, I whipped up this emblem:

Their motto is "Si Sparta pro nobis, quis contra nos?" which is latin for "If Sparta is with us, who is against us?". The traditional spartan black and orange colors is complemented by a small blue stripe to symbolize the River Eurotas by which the soldiers were trained.

Now I hope the Horsemen get to see some action soon!

Comment

• Googlie, but the problem is, a Captain rank is a ship commander. It's a lower rank that the other Captains you mentioned, if you consider how many vehicles this person has under control (namely one). The ranks are divided between air, sea, and land forces ecactly for this reason. See the point?
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• A Lt. Commander can be the Captain of a ship. 'Captain' can mean both the literal rank of a person and their position on the ship. A Lieutenant, a Commander or an Admiral are Captains if they are in charge of a ship; they are Captains of their ship.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

And thanks for the official rank btw.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Googlie
              Hmm - that seems a bit high (we are all trying to keep our ranks below Colonel, or its equivalent (in deference to Colonel Santiago)
              If we wanted to, we could of course break with this tradition and start giving higher ranks, using our fundamentalist doctrine and stress on leadership as the roleplay-reason.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• I was browsing Lybia, esp Col. Moamar al Gaddafi - seems that right after the coup his top 3 officrs were a General (army), another Colonel (AirForce) and a Major (armed forces Inspector, and i/c of navy)

A couple of years later, these were all dismissed in an ascetic purge, and now the highest rank is Colonel. The CDC voted to give Gaddafi the title Major General, but while he accepted the honorific, said that he would continue to be known as Colonel. As a result, it is still the highest rank in the Lybian armed forces

Comment

• Re the Modo Doctrine - I presume that we'll wait until we formally complete the MCC before announcing it (coincides with our extra 2 mps, giving our cruiser patrols 8 tiles range (9 if Elite)

Comment

• Originally posted by Googlie
                    As a result, it is still the highest rank in the Lybian armed forces
                    Ah cool. I didn't know there was a real-life precedent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                      A Lt. Commander can be the Captain of a ship. 'Captain' can mean both the literal rank of a person and their position on the ship. A Lieutenant, a Commander or an Admiral are Captains if they are in charge of a ship; they are Captains of their ship.
                      you are correct sir (I'm former navy btw)

Usually it's a captain, but on smaller ships or submarines you will find lower ranking officers as CO. CO stands for commanding officer, but they are also called captain.

Comment

• Diss !!!!

You're back

Comment

• Great to see you Dissident!

Inspired by Snoddasmannen great emblem for the Castor Horsemen, I was thinking about a possible emblem for the Spartan Killer Elite Laconians (Kel). Therefore I was wondering: Googlie, is this emblem still free? I can't remember where and why you posted it before, but in case it's free, I thought it could fit well with the Killer reputation of the Kel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• testing something... ignore...

Comment

• It's free (I used it once in the main 'poly forum in a strategy thread about obliterating bases, but it's not in use in this ACDG as a logo)

Comment

• Re the Modo Doctrine:

We should announce it next turn, concurrent with our getting the MCC

And if we have captured 2 bases - and if Zak has submitted to us, we should include North Arcadia in the no-go zone as well

Comment

Working...
                                X