CivII On X.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your processor like?
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

400 mhz G4...
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I have 192Mb in my Lombard (G3/400) and it pages fairly regularly. The more fragmented your hard drive, the more you are going to notice it (mine is badly fragmented, but that's a different headache) I haven't decided if I should add memory, or replace the machine... but selling older hardware is always such a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash

That sucks that you can't use your current router though. What browser are you trying to get to it in? I remember trying to use Safari to get to my cousin's and it didn't work at all.
          I've got 3 browsers:

1. Safari, as with you, didn't work at all. It wouldn't even take me to the password login. I typed in the address, hit the return key, and nothing happened. Safari's great, it's my browser of choice, but does have its quirks, I've found.

2. Mozilla takes me to the password login, which I fill in, but it won't take me any further.

3. IE - my desperate last resort - gets me past the password login but takes me straight to the error message that says "Protected Area" (or similar).
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
            I have 192Mb in my Lombard (G3/400) and it pages fairly regularly. The more fragmented your hard drive, the more you are going to notice it (mine is badly fragmented, but that's a different headache) I haven't decided if I should add memory, or replace the machine... but selling older hardware is always such a pain.
            Yet again my computer ignorance is being exposed. I've had this computer about 6 weeks. Can the HD already be fragmented?

The telling thing with my Civ problem, though, is that it runs even slower if I have any other apps open. If I shut everything else down, it's better. Nowhere near as good as it ran when I only had 9.2, but better.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

It is unlikely that your drive is fragmented after only 6 weeks, but nothing is impossible.

As with OS 9, the more things you have running, the more memory you are going to use. Under OS 9, you could only open as many applications as you had memory for. Under OS X, you have an effectively unlimited Virtual Memory swapfile. As you open more applications, more stuff gets pushed into the swapfile. The more contention you have for the physical memory, the more thrashing you get.

Don't forget that OS X is based on UNIX. There are a lot of things running under the covers that you don't see too. Note the information below (cut from the "top" command). I have 5 applications running (including the finder), but behind the scenes there are 45 processes running.

Processes: 45 total, 2 running, 43 sleeping... 106 threads 08:42:49
              Load Avg: 1.33, 0.86, 0.76 CPU usage: 35.7% user, 14.3% sys, 50.0% idl
              SharedLibs: num = 92, resident = 20.0M code, 1.79M data, 5.73M LinkEdit
              MemRegions: num = 2899, resident = 53.8M + 5.78M private, 49.1M shared
              PhysMem: 28.4M wired, 104M active, 56.9M inactive, 190M used, 2.39M free
              VM: 1.06G + 52.7M 7493(0) pageins, 2720(0) pageouts

Some of these processes are probably in the swapfile, some in RAM, and some are probably timed tasks which get paged into RAM when they need to run.

To summarize, the less you have running the better, but in the end you're still at the whim of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

3. IE - my desperate last resort - gets me past the password login but takes me straight to the error message that says "Protected Area" (or similar).
                Now that's strange... when my cousin loaned me his... my IE was all that would do it... have you changed the password on it at all accidentally?

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
                  It is unlikely that your drive is fragmented after only 6 weeks, but nothing is impossible.

As with OS 9, the more things you have running, the more memory you are going to use. Under OS 9, you could only open as many applications as you had memory for. Under OS X, you have an effectively unlimited Virtual Memory swapfile. As you open more applications, more stuff gets pushed into the swapfile. The more contention you have for the physical memory, the more thrashing you get.

Don't forget that OS X is based on UNIX. There are a lot of things running under the covers that you don't see too. Note the information below (cut from the "top" command). I have 5 applications running (including the finder), but behind the scenes there are 45 processes running.

Processes: 45 total, 2 running, 43 sleeping... 106 threads 08:42:49
                  Load Avg: 1.33, 0.86, 0.76 CPU usage: 35.7% user, 14.3% sys, 50.0% idl
                  SharedLibs: num = 92, resident = 20.0M code, 1.79M data, 5.73M LinkEdit
                  MemRegions: num = 2899, resident = 53.8M + 5.78M private, 49.1M shared
                  PhysMem: 28.4M wired, 104M active, 56.9M inactive, 190M used, 2.39M free
                  VM: 1.06G + 52.7M 7493(0) pageins, 2720(0) pageouts

Some of these processes are probably in the swapfile, some in RAM, and some are probably timed tasks which get paged into RAM when they need to run.

To summarize, the less you have running the better, but in the end you're still at the whim of the system.
                  All that information is truly terrifying! In the sense that I'm truly terrified that I know nothing about it!

All I do know is that, regardless of whatever problems I have with Civ running slowly, I wouldn't touch a PC with a bargepole!

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash

Now that's strange... when my cousin loaned me his... my IE was all that would do it... have you changed the password on it at all accidentally?
                    No, my failed attempts to talk to the router were the first time I'd ever tried it. What's really annoying me is that I can't find any reference to the problem anywhere on the 'net. And, as you'd know, you can usually find a reference to just about anything somewhere on the 'net.

Comment

I guess it is an old router that needs some help... ?

Comment

As I was saying before the server so rudely interrupted me - Yes!

Edit. Mmmmm. No smilies or messages icons yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X