CivII On X.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 1.7MB.

I don't think it's a problem with a lack of the intermediate patches - those between the original game and the last v1.1.1. I think there were about 5 patches in all - 1.1b1-2-3-4 and then 1.1.1. I recall that each new patch contained everything that had come before - so to speak - thus any of them upgraded the original game to that point.

I've got 128MB RAM. I was going to increase it anyway. I'll see if that makes a difference.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

That might... I've got 640...
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

But it should run perfectly well on 128!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Though how many extenstions do you still have running when Classic starts up? I remember OS 9, when I ran that, native, would eat about 75MB just because I had way too many extensions and crap.

Comment

I've tried it with absolutely nothing else running. It's still creaky. I think you're probably right, though, it's Classic chewing up capacity. I'll crank up the RAM.

Jeez, I find this Classic/0S 10 structure cumbersome! Everything was so much simpler in 9.2!

Comment

True... Though how many times would 9.2 lock up on you and then you be forced to restart your entire system?

I love the stability of X over 9.2. What's strange to me is the fact that you have a 700MHz machine and mine seems to be having better luck with 9.2 and X.2 running together... do you think all it is is the extra RAM?

((Though I wouldn't be surprised if your comp could still kick my comp ))

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                True... Though how many times would 9.2 lock up on you and then you be forced to restart your entire system?
                I had very few freeze problems. Eventually. The problem with 9.2 was that it - obviously - came with a lot of stuff designed to run with 10. I spent a bit of time haunting the the Mac OS9 user forums where the real Mac expert users hang out and there were plenty of solutions offered for 9.2 stability problems. There were at least three 9.2 extensions that were exclusively 10-oriented and could be trashed. Lo and behold, they made 9.2 a lot more stable.

What's strange to me is the fact that you have a 700MHz machine and mine seems to be having better luck with 9.2 and X.2 running together... do you think all it is is the extra RAM?

((Though I wouldn't be surprised if your comp could still kick my comp ))
                I just find the combo cumbersome. How do you - for example - adjust memory allocation in one of the 9.2 applications without rebooting in OS9.2? You can't do it from OS10. I've tried. Unless there's a way I don't know about.

Civ is the only app that I've found to be affected in speed terms. And I really do think it's a RAM problem.

Other than that, I think the Emac is terrific. My wife bought one of the new iMac desklamp models. I went out to get one, too, but discovered the Emac offered identical capabilities - apart from the design and the flat screen - for $OZ 2000 less.

Comment

I've never needed to adjust memory allocation... maybe that's part of the problem... I'm slowly converting all of my programs to X... finally picked up Office V.X and GoLive, now I just need Photoshop and I'll be almost 9.2 free (except for Civ II, CtP, and SMAX of course.)

I would suppose that you've already tried starting in 9.2, increasing RAM in Civ II and then restarting in X, right?

Model probably doesn't have anything to do with it... be sure to let us know when you do get a RAM upgrade... I'm really curious as to what caused the problem.

Comment

I've never needed to adjust memory allocation... maybe that's part of the problem... I'm slowly converting all of my programs to X... finally picked up Office V.X and GoLive, now I just need Photoshop and I'll be almost 9.2 free (except for Civ II, CtP, and SMAX of course.)
                    Yes, but what happens when, as has been announced, future OSs won't support OS9 apps? Presumably none of us will upgrade.

I would suppose that you've already tried starting in 9.2, increasing RAM in Civ II and then restarting in X, right?
                    Yep.

Model probably doesn't have anything to do with it... be sure to let us know when you do get a RAM upgrade... I'm really curious as to what caused the problem.
                    I'm sure it's RAM. I've run a few experiments - running Civ with other apps running and it slows down even further.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Yes, but what happens when, as has been announced, future OSs won't support OS9 apps? Presumably none of us will upgrade.
                      /me shudders...

More than likely, you're right... I know I'd never switch to an OS that outdated some of my favorite games and made them unplayable.

What OS version is possibly going to do that?

I'm sure it's RAM. I've run a few experiments - running Civ with other apps running and it slows down even further.

Glad to know that's all it probably is.

Comment

* FlameFlash shudders...

More than likely, you're right... I know I'd never switch to an OS that outdated some of my favorite games and made them unplayable.

What OS version is possibly going to do that?
                        Not entirely sure, but from what I can gather, the system that follows Jaguar - called, I think, Pinot - might not have Classic bundled. Apple basically wants to shift everyone to OS10 ASAP. They've already put the pressure on the third-party developers to abandon OS9 and develop for OS10.

Comment

Ah, Panther.

Yes, but they do still provide OS 9 on CD to buy seperately from the Apple Store... it's buried on the site, but I remember stumbling across it recently. Of course, I don't know how long they'll keep it up. But that's why I'm wanting to switch over as much as I can as soon as I can just to make sure prices don't increase once developers know that you have to use the updated software.

Comment

Yeah well, I won't be upgrading beyond what I've got. I have a few apps - apart from Civ - that I use all the time that are OS9.

Comment

/me shrugs.

I'll just probably copy my HD contents whenever I get a new comp and then upgrade to Panther or whatever feline jungle animal X happens to be running as by the time I can finally get a new tower.

Comment

Good grief. I haven't even got Jaguar yet and now Apple is coming out with Panther? Where does that OS fall in the 10.x.x numerical system?

Gatekeeper
                                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X