No announcement yet.

CivII On X.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't know yet. Either 10.3 or 10.2.5... it'll probably be 10.3 but it's as of yet unknown.

www.macosrumors.com has some info on it and the G5.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

They oughta rename it "Cheetah."
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Especially since it'll probably beat the 2GHz barrier.

Comment

Hey listen. I'm running my cable through a router and I can't host games unless I bypass it. But I can, can't I? If I do some configuring? Anyone know what or how?
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

ugh... I have no clue... is it a firewall problem that is keeping you from giving out your IP or what?

Comment

Mmmm. Now you're really exposing my IT ignorance. I run my wife's and my computer off a router which is connected to the cable. It's not a firewall, per se, but the router has its own address, which is not my computer's address. If I set up a game, the IP I get is the router's IP. If I give out the router's address for a Civ game, no one is able to connect because all they're getting is the router.

If, OTOH, I bypass the router and plug my computer straight into the cable, I get my computer's IP and other players can connect.

I gather there's some way of (as it were) giving the router my computer's IP, thus letting other players connect with the game through the router.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Actually I have done somethign similar, I can play civ from behind my firewall by giving the IP of the firewall when hosting. All civ traffic is then redirected to my other, civ playing computer.
                I'd love to tell you how this was done but I have no idea, my dad set it all up a few years ago. ;o

Not sure how helpfull this was,oh well
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Yes, there is. Part of the problem though is at least here in the States if you want more IP addresses, you have to pay for them. If you and your wife are wanting to play a game, I would recommend disconnecting from the 'net entirely and just using local IP addresses via AppleTalk. If you're wanting both your and your wife's computer to be online at the same time while you host a game and she hosts another one (or could have the ability to do so) you need to set up the router to assign IP addresses. I'm not exactly sure how to do it myself (it's different with different routers) so you'll need to read the instructions to yours... but I would also for sure ask your ISP because if they find out that you're hosting more IP adresses than they've sold you, you could get into serious trouble (here I've heard of them banning you from their network but continuing to pay their monthly charges for a little while... read your ISP agreement.)

I hope that helped... I'm tired and a little out of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                    Actually I have done somethign similar, I can play civ from behind my firewall by giving the IP of the firewall when hosting. All civ traffic is then redirected to my other, civ playing computer.
                    I'd love to tell you how this was done but I have no idea, my dad set it all up a few years ago. ;o

Not sure how helpfull this was,oh well
                    The router has an address but it's not an IP address. It's a few numbers short. Anyone who tries to connect with it gets thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                      Yes, there is. Part of the problem though is at least here in the States if you want more IP addresses, you have to pay for them. If you and your wife are wanting to play a game, I would recommend disconnecting from the 'net entirely and just using local IP addresses via AppleTalk.
                      No, the two computers aren't used together for games. Mrs finbar only plays those silly Tetris-type games.

If you're wanting both your and your wife's computer to be online at the same time while you host a game and she hosts another one (or could have the ability to do so) you need to set up the router to assign IP addresses. I'm not exactly sure how to do it myself (it's different with different routers) so you'll need to read the instructions to yours...
                      It's not even that complicated. I just want to give the router an IP address so that other players can connect with my hosted game via the router. If that's possible.

but I would also for sure ask your ISP because if they find out that you're hosting more IP adresses than they've sold you, you could get into serious trouble (here I've heard of them banning you from their network but continuing to pay their monthly charges for a little while... read your ISP agreement.)
                      The extra address isn't a problem. With my account, I'm allowed two.

Comment

I would think your router's instructions would have a way to do it then... how do you manage your router? There may be something in there that would clue you in.

Comment

Finbar... first of all (to go back a couple of pages)

128 Mb simply is not enough to run OS X. If your trying to run Classic as well... even worse. What you are seeing is the system swapping in and out of your swapfile constantly.

You should really buy some memory... it's pretty inexpensive these days. I'd shoot for no less than 512Mb if possible.

As for your router issue... From your description it sounds like your 2 machines have individual addresses, both obtained from your provider, and your cable modem is sort of "transparent"? In that scenario it sounds like you should be able to host games (unless your router is blocking ports for some reason.

A more common scenario would be the modem (with a valid IP address) connected to a hub/switch/router of some sort which is acting as a firewall/VPN serving DHCP. In this case you would need to tell it to forward the appropriate port to the server machine (as was noted above).
                          Last edited by Insane; April 12, 2003, 19:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
                            128 Mb simply is not enough to run OS X. If your trying to run Classic as well... even worse. What you are seeing is the system swapping in and out of your swapfile constantly.

You should really buy some memory... it's pretty inexpensive these days. I'd shoot for no less than 512Mb if possible.
                            Yeah, I kind of figured the memory was the problem. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to load it up. It's ridiculous that Apple are selling computers with OS X with so little memory installed. As you say, it's not that expensive anymore, so it can hardly be that they're wanting to make zillions out of selling extra RAM.

A more common scenario would be the modem (with a valid IP address) connected to a hub/switch/router of some sort which is acting as a firewall/VPN serving DHCP. In this case you would need to tell it to forward the appropriate port to the server machine (as was noted above).
                            I think this is the situation rather than the first one you suggested. From checking around, I gather I should be able to tell the router exactly what you say. I should be able to access the router via a browser. Except when I try to, I get blocked with a message telling me I've run into a "Protected Object". I've tried to track down this problem on the 'net but with no luck.

I gather from tech websites that the Netgear RT311 is pretty obsolete these days anyway, so I think I'll lash out for something more sophisticated when I get the extra RAM.

Comment

That sucks that you can't use your current router though. What browser are you trying to get to it in? I remember trying to use Safari to get to my cousin's and it didn't work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
                                Finbar... first of all (to go back a couple of pages)

I just got OS X a few days ago and I run civ perfectly well on my 128mbs ram computer (with several OS x apps and a few os 9 apps running at the same time).
                                Don't get too much swapping either...
                                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Working...
                                X