Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've started a war with my lowly workers!

I think there's an unintended bug with the partisans. If a rival partisan is within your country's borders, and lets say for the moment that the partisan is located on a railroad tile, if you move a worker in the path of the hidden partisan..whammo!!! The partisan kills your worker and you go to war instantly with the rival nation...even if they're ally!!! In summary, that sucks! Any solutions?

-Hollywood

Comment

• I also encountered this bug once. The only solution I found is reloading the auto-save and turning off worker automation for a turn or two.
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• leader not performing

I had gotten one leader early in the game to save it for a 'special occasion' and the time has come. I want to hurry building the Sistine Chapel and it tells me the leader cannot hurry the Sistine chapel.

If I try to hurry anything else it needs money? Isn't the leader supposed to be able to hurry a great wonder? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Michael

Comment

• Korn,

Why are you so keen on not allowing bombers onto carriers? Who would want a carrier with just fighters on it? The only good thing about fighters is that they defend against bombers, so are best based inland. But I guess that won't matter if the enemy can't even bomb you. This tweak has UNBALANCED the game. Carriers are useless. Bombers are useless unless in a pangea or fighting a same-continent foe. Fighters are practically useless unless in a pangea. Air power means nothing. American SU becomes useless. Stealth technology becomes useless, as do the units that come with it. If you think that in "real life" only fighters do the bombing, think again. B2 stealth bombers are loaded onto carriers occasionally, as were bombers in world war 2 during the Dooley raids. (The brave american bombings of mainland Japan.)

As for the museum thing, make a new tech called Archaeology. Make it optional and put it in the early industrial age after nationalism or something like that. If you want to take it further; make a wonder called "L'Ouvre" or "British Museum". If you want to take it even further make a city improvement available at Genetics called "Museum of Science"

One more thing, if you feel you have finished everything else off. Change the civilopedia (if you can) to accurately reflect new units and unit tweaks. And change the tech tree some more by adding new pictures of the improvements and units that become available. Finally, add graphics to the improvements to show in the city view screen.
          Don't have a cow man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tridotan1
            As for the museum thing, make a new tech called Archaeology. Make it optional and put it in the early industrial age after nationalism or something like that.
            I had about the same idea, with the new tech being called 'historiography'. However, IMO we should only start tinkering with the tech tree after Firaxis has eliminated the crash bug associated with tech icons and more than 82 techs (hopefully, this will happen in the next patch).

One more thing, if you feel you have finished everything else off. Change the civilopedia (if you can) to accurately reflect new units and unit tweaks. And change the tech tree some more by adding new pictures of the improvements and units that become available.
            Good idea, but you're asking a lot of korn.

Finally, add graphics to the improvements to show in the city view screen.
            And now you're asking too much, IMO.

BTW, korn, any news regarding beta8?
            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• BTW, korn, any news regarding beta8?
              i have a crazy job, until two weeks ago i was getting about 4 hours a week, which was enough for me to get by on with my savings, but where i bought a new car (i got a 99 chevy cavalier with with 30k miles on it for 5,100 dollars, not to bad at all right?) that took a huge chunck out of my savings and the work load is seasonal and has increase quite a bit so i'm back to putting in 40 hours weeks along with going to school and trying to get in shape so i can join the army reserve i haven't had any spare time to spend on the blitz mod, also my mom bought a new house and i promised i'd help her move on the weekends and i'm on my way there now, i don't have that much more to do to finish it up, but then again i don't have any time to do even that, tommorrow evening hopefully, i'm sorry for the inconvience but i hope you can understand

Why are you so keen on not allowing bombers onto carriers?
              for the flavor of realism

Who would want a carrier with just fighters on it?
              the US Navy for one

Carriers are useless.
              Tridotan1
              well one carrier full of fighters right now can do about as much damage as what two carriers full of bombers could do in 1.17f...

B2 stealth bombers are loaded onto carriers occasionally,
              when? they are based in Missouri, and from what i've read it takes about 100 hours of service for every hour of flight time, also there are very few facility able to service them, and carriers are not one of them, also as far as i know they are not designed to land on a carrier, and i'm fairly sure the catapult wouldn't get them airborne

there's a picture of B-2's on a carrier, but it's faked

check out this site for more

as were bombers in world war 2 during the Dooley raids. (The brave american bombings of mainland Japan.)
              the Doolittle raids were nothing more than propaganda and had no real impact on japanese wartime production, and it wasn't until the US started getting bases closer to japan that US bombing really began to take its toll

This tweak has UNBALANCED the game.
              i'm going to do slightly more tweaking on bomber and fighter stats, i'll also look at incorporating the air base mod into the blitz mod, but if that doesn't work i'll once again allow bombers to land on carriers if the consenus is that airpower is too weak, but in all seriousness (i was joking around with you above) i'll try my very best to make sure it isn't unbalanced when i'm finished tweaking, and if something doesn't work i'll go back to the original setting, i just usually have to try every possible tweak first

As for the museum thing, make a new tech called Archaeology.
              adding and changing techs will be the last thing i do

One more thing, if you feel you have finished everything else off. Change the civilopedia (if you can) to accurately reflect new units and unit tweaks.
              i have been doing that on a limited basis already
              and when i fit the definitive 1.06 this will be completely finished

micokeman

are you trying to hurry with the hurry button in the city screen or with the leader's hurry command? the leader's hurry command should function as normal, but trying to use the hurry command from the city screen in a city that has a leader in it has no effect in the blitz mod or civ3 1.17f

hollywooddchi

that is technically a civ3 bug and not a blitz mod bug and hopefully they will fix it
              Last edited by korn469; April 6, 2002, 12:52.

Comment

• congratulations to the modmaker

Comment

• but it wasn't me lockstep

Comment

• The powers of editing a post, eh Korn.

I know exactly how you feel about having limiting time...going to school (about 7 hours, five days a week), working 30 hours a week, homework, trying to maintain a social life outside of school, having free time for yourself, and a few other things that I haven't mentioned is quite a difficult task to balance. Usually in the process of doing it, too, sleep gets dropped from the whole mix (3-4 hours of sleep a night) So I completely understand how you feel.

Well, since this modmaker is going to start doing playtesting here soon I bet that the next patch release should be in the next few weeks.
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Tridotan1
                      Korn,

This tweak has UNBALANCED the game. Carriers are useless. im playing a monarchy game as america and my f-15's are dominating the skies. with blitz attacks i get 3 bombarments per jet per turn and with 3 carriers full of jets im ripping up my enemies territory with ease. i created a airbase to allow baseing bombers away from home but you need a ROP agreement if you dont want to start another war. i didnt like the f-15 before i got this mod but now ,look out germany.

Comment

• Ive been lurking in the shadows too long. I have installed the mod and it looks great so far. Except one thing. I can beat the regular game on Emperor level. With this mod I cant. I'm playing Zulu and Im being beaten like a red-headed step child!!!! Im very behind in the tech race and my cities are now being overrun by my neighbors culture......ARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!! Looks like I have no chance to get a wonder built too........any suggestions?

Comment

• Hi ,
                          it was posted on civfanatics forum, as the thread is moved from there I came here

quote:
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally posted by korn469
                          Antex

as you said there isn't a button to make buildings obsolete, and i used the normal editor and made it a prereq for factories, but i think i flagged it with the powerplant disappearing flag...

hope that helps
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korn, thanx for your tips, but I still need some help: my idea is to make coloseum obsolete with discovering of electricity; fitrst I read a post about BIC format, then i 'went' to apriopriate position ('rendered obsolete by') using hex editor but I don't know what value I should put here I looked into civ. advances format but it doesn't contain any value which I can put in colosseum data section. I looked to some obsoleting wonders data but they have here values like -1 or 255, I can't find how advances are coded into those values

Thanx in advance,
                          Antex

Comment

• Even though, there hasn't been much playing of Civ3 lately by me (bought an X-Box recently ), I still have aspirations of playing of the game once the next patch comes out. That is only if the changes/additions/features of v1.21f are appealing enough to get me to play again.

Well, the actual reason why I'm posting this is because I've come up with an idea.

IIRC, Korn, you increased the disappearance ratio of resources and kept the appearance ratio the same. Either way, though, it doesn't matter. IMO, Firaxis had the intentions of making resources fairly difficult to come by, and just quite enough difficult that trades would have to be made in order to get certain resources. However, IMO, that didn't turn out the way Firaxis had intended it to. Instead players were irritated with the way resources were sparatic and if every Civ had a certain resource except themselves. It does seem unfair that by random chance you were placed in a land that doesn't contain the resources you would like to have. Although, net very often would you not be able to get a required resource, so the strategic realm of resources was lost. Typically most Civs were able to get the resources they needed, therefore, the need for trading of resources was diminished. If resources were a lot less than common, then not as many Civs would be able to have a particular resource. With less Civs having a particular resource, then the chance of trade will increase as long as other Civs have an excess of the resource. However, another problem arises in that resources disappear fairly quickly. If a Civ had the oppurtunity to have control over a particular resource for a longer amount of time it would give the effect of a certain Civ dominating a particular resource. In turn more strategy will be added to the game by less Civs having a resource and those Civs having those resources for a longer amount of time.

Here are the new values I suggest for resources: Decrease each appearance ratio on each strategic resource by 40, then decrease the disappearance ratio down from 900 to 500 on all of them. Except on horses the 'd ratio' should be decreased down to 400. How is it that horses can disappear? I guess for game purposes even a low 'd ratio' is needed.

With the changes made to all of the units the effect should not be to devasting to Civs who lack resources to the point that there is no chance of winning for them. One era that could use another 'no resource' unit is the Ancient era. Under Mysticism the Raider unit should be added, and should have be 3|1|1 3. *If you don't like my resource idea, then you could add the Raider unit in a differen way: Make the Raider unit have hidden nationality and would be 1|1|2 3.* The Middle Ages could use another 'no resource' unit around Military Tradition or so, but I can't think of any myself. Then for the rest of the game the units are pretty well balanced for the most part in terms of 'no resource' units (this is considering the units to be added into beta 8).

Btw, how is beta 8 coming along anyways? I know you've been busy, which is fine, but do you still plan on supporting this mod? I'm sure the answer will be a 'yes', but I'm just curious. Come Wednesday we will find out if any new additions have been implemented into the editor.
                            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• Antex

as i stated at civfanatics, the use of the word obsolete by me was really a misnomer, and with the tools we currently have there is no way (that i know of at least) to obsolete buildings, however gramphos might be able to give you help, i think he is on vaction right now and not very active but he should be back soon

techwins

i have a question, do you want a low chance of resources disappearing? if so, then high disapparence ratios from what i understand mean low chances of resources disappearing, basically 900 means on average a resource node disappears every 900 years

Btw, how is beta 8 coming along anyways? I know you've been busy, which is fine, but do you still plan on supporting this mod? I'm sure the answer will be a 'yes', but I'm just curious.
                              yes is the short answer,

the longer answer is work has gotten even more hectic than ever and i'm getting in 60+ hours a week counting the commute (though i'm hoping to get a job with sprint which is about 50% better in terms of hourly wage and about half of the hours), then there is school, trying to run at least a mile, helping my mom move all of her stuff (she's a pack rat i told her it looked like i was moving in sanford and son) on sundays (but we about have it finished around 20 or 30 more hours so a few more sundays), then i have a girlfriend (2 years 7 months and counting) who demands and expects to have me for the greatest majority on saturdays which is the one day we both have off, then all of the other little things

all i need is a day or two off so i can get everything together, but i'm going to wait to incorporate what's in the patch i have my fingers crossed, i really hope they throw us a bone on some of the things we've asked for

so start hoping with me i get the job at sprint, as it is now, on weekdays i barely have time to do anything

ps this quick reply feature is awsome!

Comment

• Korn

Well, that makes sense about disappearing resources. So yes, that the number should be increased to lower the disappearance of resources. *This idea is only preliminary and has not been tested the least bit*

Yes, well don't pressure yourself in getting beta8 done in a hurry (eevn though it seemed like I was getting anxious), because I completely understand your hectic schedule. Hey just last night I was only able to get two hours of sleep (I usually get around 4-5 hours of sleep a night), so I know exactly how you feel. Good luck on getting that Sprint job, keeping your girl happy and helping your mom move.

I couldn't agree more that the quick reply feature is great, but for some reason I always forget to use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X