• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old n Slow -- Trucks go west
    STYOM -- Research techs in order
    atawa -- Must change government every four years
    Straybow -- Happiness is giving blood
    rjmatsleepers or Jrabbit (classic or MGE)
    La Fayette -- Move like a drunk
    and after six weeks,
    atomant -- Build units with a defensive attitude

Maybe grigor (needs a compatable version of civ II)
    (patashu confirmed lurker)
    (Bloody Monk confirmed lurker)

Jrabbit -- We can build muskets & fanatics, but not rifles -- triremes are OK, but I think we may have a problem with caravels.

La Fayette -- iirc, the drunken moves limits land movement to only half the spaces available -- thus the need for boats VERY early. (Move a unit onto the boat, shift over one space & move the unit off the boat -- now the “white bishop is a black bishop effect”) -- Of course, this also limits our selection of city sites until we get a boat and affects our popping of huts. But thanks to atomant, we won’t be building any two move units until dragoons anyway. Recommend to all that we don't try to move wounded boats...

When this is all over we’ll need to vote as to which was the most restrictive rule…but the truth may be that the combination of rules added additional restrictions...
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
      La Fayette -- iirc, the drunken moves limits land movement to only half the spaces available -- thus the need for boats VERY early. (Move a unit onto the boat, shift over one space & move the unit off the boat -- now the “white bishop is a black bishop effect”) -- Of course, this also limits our selection of city sites until we get a boat and affects our popping of huts. But thanks to atomant, we won’t be building any two move units until dragoons anyway. Recommend to all that we don't try to move wounded boats...

When this is all over we’ll need to vote as to which was the most restrictive rule…but the truth may be that the combination of rules added additional restrictions...
      don't forget that we won't get boats before seafaring (caraval 1 a, 1 d) since triremes have 0 defense. and we'll not get pikemen anytime soon (warrior code) so we're going to be stuck building warriors and settlers only for a long (diplo's are 0/0 but need writing).

mark me down as a confirmed lurker as well
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Originally posted by SCG
        since triremes have 0 defense.
        How do you get these?
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
          quote:
          Originally posted by SCG
          since triremes have 0 defense.

How do you get these?
          by playing Civ I of course there was a thread about starting a Civ I succession game, so i reloaded my Civ I, and triremes have 1 attack and 0 defense in that game

Civ II does have 1 defense triremes
          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Someone should make a rule that forbids making rules and removes all those that have already been placed.
            Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

The good fairy has waved her magic wand and caused MGE to appear on my computer.

(I now have three different folders with different game versions - am I addicted?)

Anyway the rabbit and I can now both play.

RJM at Sleepers
              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

You got it JR.... ... That should really cramp the style of some players....
                "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

and eliminate the standard super clad strategy
                  "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                  "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Another gov't rule??!!

I would propose staying in each governmentt for, say, 5-10 turns(at least), but it seems atawa beat me to it.
                    Therefore I say this: we must cycle through the govs in the order Civ has them...(despot, monarch, commie, fundy, repub, demo)
                    This should be a fun game
                    April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                    Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

Re: Another gov't rule??!!

Originally posted by Bob_Smurf42

I would propose staying in each governmentt for, say, 5-10 turns(at least), but it seems atawa beat me to it.
                      Sorry about that

Therefore I say this: we must cycle through the govs in the order Civ has them...(despot, monarch, commie, fundy, repub, demo)
                      This should be a fun game
                      That should be desp/mon/rep/demo/commie/fundi should it?

Comment

grumble grumble

This is supposed to be Silly Rules, not friggin' Mission Impossible. We don't want to suck all the fun out of it.

Errr, not directed at anyone in particular, but if the rules were more limited in scope, especially so they don't overlap effects...

Edit: I'm going to amend the Human Sacrifice Rule again to be not quite so extreme on the Happiness Wonders. Only one sacrifice per 70 shields cost should be required, rounded up. So,

200 = 3
                        300 = 5
                        400 = 6
                        600 = 9

This amounts to one sacrifice paired with each camel/freight worth of investment.

[edit: change image links to Settler II]
                        Last edited by Straybow; July 7, 2003, 21:40.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The "rank" of each gov't type, as described in the Rules.txt is

1 Despotism
                          2 Monarchy
                          3 Communism
                          4 Fundamentalism
                          5 Republic
                          6 Democracy
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Thanks for the info, didnt know that.

Only problem then is we have to switch between Despo and Mon untill we have commie

Comment

My, what a twisted bunch of people you are! I love the ideas in this thread.

I'll try some of the best ones, or maybe the lot of them, in my next game - they migth breathe some new life into civ. I'll keep a close eye on your progress, as I'm quite curious as to how some of these rules will work out in real life. They sound like a lot of fun to me!

Count me in as an official lurker as well...
                              Hasdrubal's Home.
                              Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

One day left until we start.

We’re in MGE, with deity, large map, & raging hordes-- any thoughts or cares about world conditions? Otherwise I’ll lean toward middle of the road most everything else, maybe 5B years for the most varied terrain.

We have:

Old n Slow -- Trucks drive west
                                STYOM -- Research techs in order
                                atawa -- Must change government every four years
                                Straybow -- Sacrifice a builder with each happiness improvement, and a builder per camel for each happiness wonder
                                rjmatsleepers -- Move the capitol with every government change
                                Jrabbit -- Rule TBD
                                La Fayette -- units with move=1 move vert/horizontally, units with move = 2 or 3 on the diagonal
                                BobSmurf42 -- Cycle through the governments when changing
                                and after six weeks,
                                atomant -- Build units with a defensive attitude until Leadership (no Horse, Cat, Char, Ele, Knight, and Cruc, (Cannons delayed))

With a cast of many lurkers and commentators.

Grigor -- I tried three times with your save (unwzipped with Winzip) and failed three times. No luck yet, but we’ll save a space should this work out later.

Any final thoughts or recommendations for our opening strategy?
                                Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Working...
                                X