Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Rules succession game

Silly Rules succession game

In looking at the recent succession games, we see a number of self imposed constraints designed to bring additional challenge, consistent story line, opportunities for humor, and whatnot. With this in mind, I propose that we start yet another such game shooting for three out of the above four (consistent storyline is optional).

Each player may offer a rule. In fact each player MUST propose a rule, and a silly rule is recommended.

For example, in ancient Roman times, Romulus & Remus were twins -- would the empire have been better served if two cities were laid down instead of just one? Thus the rule -- in a turn where a city is to be founded, a second city must also be founded -- twin cities (not necessarily close to each other.)

As for me, I’ve decided that my silly rule will be to honor the Teamsters -- together with other members of the Labor Movement (those folks who invented the weekend, by the way) deserve credit where credit is due. Since trucks face West (actually southwest, but west will do), Trucks will be required to only drive West. The may make minor turns up to 90 degrees either way (i.e. go due north or south) but not drive backwards at any time -- it is against Union Rules! Freight may be loaded onto ships which can do whatever ships want to do, or airlifted of course, but the trucks drive (predominately) WEST, over terrain, road or rail. Trucks may disembark from a boat in any direction into a final destination, but if driving onto a boat, it must embark by driving West.

At this time, level of play, size of map and starting rotation are available discussion; it would be best if rules did not conflict with one another, so as game suggester, I reserve the right to adjudicate silliness where appropriate. If a future player wants to sign up but can’t think of any potential rules, let me know -- there are more available.

Game is scheduled to start April 1
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Me, me!!

*STYOM has lots of deviously silly rules in mind already*

I suspect this game could wind up being the hardest succession game of all.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Oh - and if you want to get a lot of interest here, Deity/large map/raging hordes is the way to go, IMO. Also, since it's your game, O&S, you get to decide whether it's MGE or 2.42.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
        Oh - and if you want to get a lot of interest here, Deity/large map/raging hordes is the way to go, IMO. Also, since it's your game, O&S, you get to decide whether it's MGE or 2.42.
        I'd prefer if you made it 2.42, since I can't handle MGE.

RJM at Sleepers
        Last edited by rjmatsleepers; April 10, 2003, 01:34.
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

BTW Do we declare our silly rules in advance or when it is our turn? IIRC the idea was introducing the new rule at the start of the turn.

RJM at Sleepers

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            We few Mac players are locked into MGE only. But feel free to go 2.42. I do just fine in Lurk Mode as well.

I assume that by "trucks" you mean camels, freights, or both. Means we'll have to circumnavigate the globe to deliver freight to eastern cities...
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

although i am keen to become involved in one of the succession games, my pending future plans prohibit this for the next six weeks or so, therefore, if anyone is interested or remotely gives a rats..... my own rule would that you could only build wonders in one city.
              "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
              "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

I would go the other way -- no more than one WoW per city.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

hmm must put some thought into that game concept....

Comment

Unless we hear otherwise, Deity, Large map & Raging hordes will do.

Trucks mean freight only -- we don’t care about camels (RL no comment) besides, they face the wrong direction.

We can always start in 2.4.2 & shift over to MGE -- I don’t think we’ll be able to shift back though. So far we have a vote for each -- majority will carry it.

Atomant -- if you want in, we can put you last on the list -- maybe even skip your first turn -- it might take a while for a large group to cycle through.

If the players want to post their silly rules ahead of time, then they can affect the play ahead of them; if they want to wait, then…that’s OK too.

Hmm all the WoW’s in one city; only one WoW per city -- if we play both, then we only get to build one WoW…Hmmm that helps make for a discussion -- what are the odds that we’d wait for a modern WoW?

So far we have:

Old n Slow
                    STYOM
                    rjmatsleepers or Jrabbit
                    and after six weeks,
                    atomant
                    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Ideas... I gots ideas!

Lots of silly rules...

Sciences must be researched in alphabetical order after the discovery of Alphabet;

One may only build wonders that start with a letter contained in one's username;

and silliest of all.. following the advice of the various advisors is mandatory

Comment

Alphabetical research choices = VERY silly.
                        Could be applied to infrastructure, WoW choices, etc.

Comment

put me last on whatever list.....

but be warned muhahahahahaha silly rules are my game...

Comment

I'll join if Civ2ToT is compadible with whatever we're going to use.
                            Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

My proposed silly rule is that you can only initiate a revolution on a turn where you complete a new palace - so that the new government is able to begin life in a new capital without any hangovers from the previous administration.

RJM at Sleepers

Comment

Working...
                              X