New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds almost like.......

"Microsoft Windows did not detect a keyboard attached to your computer, please press any key to continue."

/me
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• smart guy......

(I was speaking to Zedd's comments about getting SoG up-and-running)
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I suspected as much , but it did remind me of the Microsoft message when I read that you wanted him to send a message if he was having computer problems.

I remember calling a tech line one time because I couldn't connect to the internet and one of the first questions I was asked was if I had tried their website for help before calling.

I am still watching this thread, but would rather not have to do a 'control n' at this critical stage, but let me know if it is needed

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• I remember Zedd reported he wouldn't have access on weekends and so to come out with a time limit now doesn't sound well
          I am impatient too but still Zedd is a new player and should obtain more time IMO.

Zedd, I would like to remind you are asked to say if we shall elaborate peace terms. If peace terms that would deprive Assyria of some cities and territory are unconceivable for you then say simply no.
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• ST - Zedd is not new to this PBEM, only to the Assyrian position. He has had time to scan this thread, and to PM us for info. I think that by Monday night, he should give a clear answer, which allows Kull to play his turn, or allows us to proceed towards realistic peace talks.

Zedd - If you still haven't looked at the save by Monday night, please explain in more detail what is going on, and how much time you need. If it is just a file transfer problem, I imagine you can DL with almost any PC, and then save the files onto floppy disks... no?

Sparrowhawk - Thanks for your offer to help. I don't think this needs a Ctrl-N, though.

Comment

• King Zedanu,

The Alliance of Six has been discussing Terms of Settlement, and has agreed on the following "Six Principles for Peace" - map, cities, units, gold, security, & retreat:

1) Map - Assyrian Map is necessary for the Alliance to determine final status.
              2) Cities - Six Cities to be gifted to the Alliance.
              3) Units - All units killed by Assyria to be replaced.
              4) Gold - Assyria must provide recompense for lost caravans and other expenses.
              5) Security - Certain actions will be required to enhance future security (gifts of forts, agreements on borders, etc.)
              6) Retreat - Assyrian units must retreat to the new Assyrian borders (TBD).

These terms are eminently fair, and far superior to anything (if anything) that Assyria might be granted should she fight.

If Assyria agrees to accept the "Six Principles", please so indicate.

Ramesses II

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Doesn't look like we'll need any Ctrl-N, Sparrowhawk. We're just delaying the next player (Kull) so we can either negotiate or resume the war with the new Assyrian leader.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Apologies for holding things up, I hadn't realized Kull was holding for my decision.

As it is, it looks as if the "big Six" have already made up their minds that Assyria will be conquered. If that is to be so then it will not be willingly.

I regret that the alliance should be so set against us, I had faint hopes of converting a military empire into a more populous and prosperous state by re-invigorating Trade.

As the river of time flows only the foolish will try to paddle up-stream.....

Wizards sixth rule:
                  "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                  Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• No more scrolls....

With a heavy heart, Pharoah turned away from the clay tablet. Perhaps it was the translation, but this message seemed as inscrutable as the rest. Perhaps Zedanu was trying to buy time, or perhaps he simply couldn't grasp the concept of Assyria versus the World. Well, be that as it may - the time of scribes and messengers and diplomats was over. Well, almost - there was one more scroll yet to send.....

And far off in the distant Jordan Valley, General Mekret - the recipient of that message - grinned to see the words he'd been praying to receive for over a fortnight, "Go, take thy chariots and grind Assyria into the dust". And with a wave of his hand, the chariots surged forth, turning Pharoah's words into reality, and soon the city of Amman, high on it's hill, lay charred beneath the fires of retribution.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

• And thus it came to pass, despite the efforts of men-of-good-will, Assyria stands alone against the World!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Perseat is grateful to Pharaoh for taking the lead in the war against the Bloody Assyrians (and for his offer of a loan, for moving so quickly, etc).

Help Please - I got a unit this turn thru a civ2dip barter, and am not sure how this works. The program generated a new file, which I am supposed to apply at the beginning of my NEXT turn, correct?

I am a little concerned because most barter files appear to be 1KB and are labelled "MPL Data Files" on my PC, but the new one is 0KB and is just a "File". Is this normal, or should I try applying the 2830 barter again?

Comment

• Yep, I would get a clean copy of the save and try the barter again. Assuming the barter had no actions other than transfer of unit(s) the "new" barter should be exactly the same size as the original barter. It should be a couple hundred bytes minimum.

(And, yes, I wish Yaraslav would change Civ2Dip so that the barter files had a unique extension, ".btr" perhaps.)
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Thanks, Straybow. I have created a new copy of the new barter file, which looks OK. I have already played part of my turn, and assume there is no need to replay.

In hindsight, I think the 1st attempt probably worked. After refreshing the window, the file appears to have the same size as the others, 1KB. And I neglected to add ".dat" to the file name, assuming civ2dip would take care of the extension.

Comment

• Babylonian refugees poring across the Zagros mountains were shocked to hear that the war has spread to the entire known world, including Persia. Persian generals have positioned their troops to defend every mountain, river and plain. They anxiously await promised reinforcements, but they are already moving to push Assyrian borders back to Ninevah.

Persian wives grieve over the brave horsemen ambushed in the unclaimed lands north of Karekmish, which had been considered friendly ground. Also, two units of Persian charioteers lost their lives in a recent raid on the barbarian mountain fortress of Bat' umi. But the fierce Persian infantry pressed on, almost to the last man. The badly wounded captain of the surviving Persian skirmishers, Sinbad, became an instant hero to the people. He brought back a large chest of gold, which was used to pay long-standing debts to Persian masons, farmers and soldiers. Perseat ordered an extravagant parade in his honor, and only Lord Cyrus did not seem pleased.

By checking the bodies closely, the slain barbarians were determined not to be Assyrian. But Persian traders are still grateful that they are gone from the Kur valley. Perseat hopes that removing this threat will encourage foreign merchants to send more goods to Persia.

Persian priests were a bit disappointed that the burial of
                              Achaemenes was not well-attended by other Kings, but it is understandable in these perilous days. They have claimed a major breakthrough in their attempt to solve the Mystery of the Spheres, and they predict total success within their lifetimes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I will be away from home up to monday 3rd April approximately. Please wait with my turn if needed.
                                Again I won't be able to download and upload files probably but will be able to answer, although not very fast. In case of opportunity I could send instructions for SparrowHawk, but I prefer to play by myself.
                                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Working...
                                X