No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If LF replays he plays fast and omits something...
    I wanted to say he omits something like checking supply and demand.

I would have another work for SparrowHawk: to load the minoan save and to do everything possible - press all hot keys, invoke all menus ... except F11.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker
      I would have another work for SparrowHawk: to load the minoan save and to do everything possible - press all hot keys, invoke all menus ... except F11.
      Done, and I opened and checked everything I could, without actually changing anything permanents (though I did adjust without making changes......Tax Rate move up and down but left in same position as started for instance).

If there is a change I will post the detailed list of what I opened, as I kept track, but if it doesn't make a difference I won't bother posting it as it will be useless.

Someone please let me know if anything has changed.

/me
      Attached Files
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• clean

I guess La Fayette indeed presses F11 in his sleep
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Kull
          How do you happen to know that I have been very good friends with some of my secretaries?
          Unfortunately, I am 66 now, and retired last year
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• Babylon is OK in the SparrowHawk's save.

Comment

• Rumors abound that an earthquake in Knossos has caused disturbances in lands far away. Others say that the powerful sneeze of the little-known Minoan god La Fayette was the cause. Who is to know?

I had 2 lucky partial moves, one that required a save/reload to duplicate. One unlucky partial move was duplicated with a "space" once the unit reached the terrain change. Ctrl-N dutifully performed at end of turn.
              Attached Files
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• bab 2880

Situation between Assyria and Babylon is not clear now.
                First Assyrian leader announced that he doesn't accept Babylonian borders (except land in perimeter of Bab cities) and that Assyrian units passed over the disputable border. Babylon protested, because its claim is backed up by old agreements between Assyria and Babylon. A debate followed but ended up in freezing trade between both nations (since Babylon conditioned trade by guaranteening a large non-weapon area between existing Babylonian and Assyrian cities). Talks about borders, neutral areas and cease fire (we are formally in war after the incident of a mass throw of spears) are not finished yet.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I am new to PBEM's and am having some trouble sorting out the diplomacy and ethics -

1) My foreign minister screen tells me I am at peace with some kingdoms, but only have contact with others. Does this "peace" actually mean anything?

2) Suppose player A and B make a deal, and B breaks it to gain advantage. Is this to be expected? That is, does it have implications outside the game (it means B was dishonest), or not (it just means B was more clever)? Or does everybody decide this for themselves?

I asked Sparrowhawk - is this more of a party or a competition (or both)?

(Edit) BTW - I was writing this when ST posted. My questiion has nothing to do with either of those fine kingdoms. It is purely hypothetical (for now).

Comment

• I decide for myself what to think of it

I asked Sparrowhawk - is this more of a party or a competition (or both)?

What do you mean by this?
                    The game is just a game, I play to have fun.
                    I have the best fun if I win though, so the game certainly is also a competition to me.
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• I think the game is of a real life. You are a leader of an empire. That's all. It is supposed you want it prospers... but you may act in any way.

1) The real relationships are essential. The info of foreign minister may indicate something, but it may also indicate players forgot to establish peace.

2) Read a difference between "barters" and "agreements" in house rules.
                      Any agreement may be broken. You can look at such a breach any way you want: something bad or something clever...
                      For example X breaks an agreement with Y then Y can complain publicly so that credibility of X is decreased, but X can say it is X who broke an agreement... You can lie any way.

Comment

• In any game my order of importance is
                        1. to have a fun of playing
                        2. to win (in a 7-player game I may have also some lower goal than to be 1st)

Therefore I don't cheat very much , only if I need 3 Wows in one turn
                        (an old history, Peaster )

To be clear: lying in diplomacy is allowed, but cheating is not (see house rules). Of course it is not supposed anybody would cheat, because primarily he would lost his own entertainment of a game.

Comment

• Minos salutes the new Assyrian leader (though none of his "sissie" skirmishers have met any Assyrian citizen yet).
                          It is highly advisable for Assyria to stay at peace with Babylon (since Babylon is the only civ able to build 3 wonders in one turn ).
                          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• Thanks, that helps. So, the foreign minister screen is pretty meaningless and lying is part of the game (though people could still react badly to it).

@germanos - by "is this more of a party or a competition (or both)?" I was wondering whether we are mainly trying to have fun (peacefully), or trying to win. I was not trying to make a point or to be sarcastic. Skimming over the previous 50 pages, it was just hard to tell. Kull apparently gave away tech for free, and the only "war" I noticed involved just one city, and it was later settled in court.

Comment

• Originally posted by La Fayette
                              Minos salutes the new Assyrian leader (though none of his "sissie" skirmishers have met any Assyrian citizen yet).
                              It is highly advisable for Assyria to stay at peace with Babylon (since Babylon is the only civ able to build 3 wonders in one turn ).
                              Well, seeing that Babylon has been unable to garrison half of his cities for the last two centuries, I'm inclined to have some reservations towards his claims

Comment

• assyrian turn

Assyria enjoyed a very quiet decade.

The Ammonite capitol has been razed to the ground and large column of Ammonites and Moabites have taken to the hills overlooking the valley. Grounds are being cleared to accommodate new housing and a new palace for the Ammonite king. Assyrian scouts have boarded sails and left Canaanite shores.

In the no-mans-land south of the Assyrian border all is quiet.

Ish-Mandaroun is becoming a busy port and local taverns are full of merchants. Shipwrights are making good money and a shipbuilding frenzy has broken out now that traders bound for Babylon are expected to travel north instead.
                                The news of the closure of the Babylonian markets for Assyrian goods has led to a few brawls, as prices for various goods are expected to plummet and prices for transportation are rising.

In Ekallatte a magnificent temple was build for Uraš, benefactor of commerce. It’s drawing large crowds, but very few look happy.

A 10% solidarity tax has been introduced to cover for the expenses made to relocate the Ammonite capital.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X