No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to take over the greeks, for one reason: It seems optimal placed in time scheduling for me, since Stefan moves before me (in the afternoon / early evening I suppose from some posts?) and La Fayette moves after me in the late evening. Please tell if I thought wrong (I would have no problem with playing the Hittites alternatively).

Sparrowhawk: I am sorry to hear you will not participate, but believe me, I understand your reasons. Nevertheless I hope you will think over it again

Comment

• Either Greek or Hittite, in both cases you are welcome as my new neighbour
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• I tried out the scenario last night, as the Greeks, and I think I missed something in the instructions

The firts tech I researched (and it defaulted to this) was Advanced Flight, enabling me to build Bombers. My first city started with a spy and a legion, neither of which I was able to build, and all the units and techs were the same as I am used to in Vanilla Civ.

Obviously I missed something essential to playing scenarios and though I could probably find it if I tried hard enough, I don't see what I did wrong (I put the game in a seperate scenario folder, but must have missed a file somewhere).

Regardless of my mistake, it was interesting to play, as many more huts then I am used to resulted in Barbs, and when the Barbs started coming, they were coming fast (Muskateer and Cannon barbs against my Archer defenders ). I would try this out again though, if someone can tell me what I did wrong, so that i can try it as a true test.

Edit: I realize that the game obviously does not get to a point of Bombers/Advanced Flight or Spies/Espionage, and that these advances & units have been replaced in the scenario with different units and advances, I just obviously was missing a file, so the help I am looking for is what file was a missing, how do I get it, and in what folder do I put it? Thanks for your help.
        Last edited by Sparrowhawk; September 27, 2003, 14:04.
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
          I tried out the scenario last night, as the Greeks, and I think I missed something in the instructions

The first tech I researched (and it defaulted to this) was Advanced Flight, enabling me to build Bombers....

Not laughing at you, I just think that's hilarious......yes, this scenario would be VERY strange if the tech tree and units default to "vanilla civ".

Some key pieces of info are necessary to fix your problem:

1) What version of civ do you have? Versions of this scenario will work with every civ version since "Fantastic Worlds", but not with 2.42 (original) or "Conflicts in Civilization" (the first add-on)

2) The Readme file in the download will describe exactly how to install the scenario, but the key points are:
          - You must create a subfolder called "ae3500b"
          - Place this folder in a folder called "scenario" that resides in your default civ directory.
          - Unzip all the files into this directory.
          - If you want to use the sounds (recommended), place another folder called "sound" under this one, and put all the sound files in there.

Follow these intructions and you shouldn't have any more bomber problems!
          To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull

A suggestion for Sparrowhawk and Kengel: Take a day or so and try the single-player version of this scenario. If you are like most people, you'll find it's very easy to learn and will soon get hooked - it's almost as addictive as "regular" civ!
            Okay, between your instructions above and what St. Leo helped me out with, I was able to get the proper game loaded. Thanks for the help, and if it made you laugh, it can't be all bad

On further question though, what I quoted above refers to "the single player version of this scenario"...and I am not sure how that is different from what I have downloaded?
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Go here for the complete set of SoG downloads:

We are playing the 1.4 version (PBEM), but I don't recommend it for single play. Try v1.2 instead, since that lets you customize the game for whichever civ you choose to play (which means that every time you start with a new civ, you get a completely different set of events). This does require that you run the included .bat file before starting a new game - which may not work if you are using NT, Win2000, or WinXP. All is not lost however download this file:

and place it in your Windows System32 subdirectory. Problem solved.
              To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
                - Place this folder in a folder called "scenario" that resides in your default civ directory.
                This is not necessary on my system.
                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Persian turn?

Comment

• No new leader for the Hittites yet?
                    Shall I go on asking my friends?

Comment

• Indee the Hittites are still up for grabs.

I asked Techumseh, since he had expressed some interest on page one, but alas he cannot commit to more PBEM's

So by all means, try to get a Hittite player on board.
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Bump

for Stephan!

Let's not dissappoint Kengel too much
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Oh.
                          Attached Files
                          Follow the masses!
                          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• Ah... it is going on...
                            One thought though:
                            I could now play the greek, download the turn, post it here, and then we do not go on because we have no Hittite player...
                            How do we go on? We could wait for a new player joining, then it would make sense to wait with the greek turn, so that we can flexible decide who is taking over which civ (whenever this will be...).
                            Another alternative would be that someone of us subs the Hittites preliminary till a durable player is found; in my other PBEM this is still practized. Of course there is the unavoidable problem of getting knowledge from the Hittite civ. What do you think?
                            Another question: Did I understand right that the only game goal is to control the described cities from the other civs? Or is there another game goal (role playing, or to play like real history happened)?

Comment

• Originally posted by kengel
                              How do we go on? We could wait for a new player joining, then it would make sense to wait with the greek turn, so that we can flexible decide who is taking over which civ (whenever this will be...).
                              Another alternative would be that someone of us subs the Hittites preliminary till a durable player is found;
                              Maybe Steve Clark or even better tanelorn could play a couple of turns of Hittites.
                              Or is there any new player on the skyline? (La Fayette?)

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker

Maybe Steve Clark or even better tanelorn could play a couple of turns of Hittites.
                                Or is there any new player on the skyline? (La Fayette?)
                                I have been in contact with several more friends.
                                No 'yes' reply at the moment, but I can be a sub for the Hittite leader, in order to keep the game going (would be better than let the AI rule, I suppose ).
                                Of course, if tanelorn was willing to play a few more turns, until we find a successor, it would be even much better than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X