New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowThinker
    My civilopedia says horsemen has movement 5. I thougth civilopedia reads values directly from rules.txt?
    Grrr. Another Civ2 stupidity. Rather than display the "move-per-unit" number listed under the "units" section of rules.xt, the civilopedia factors it by the road multiplier and then divides by three. In this case that would be (4x4)/3 = 5.33 (which is then rounded down for display in the civilopedia). Idiocy.
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Harharu's reigh, that has lasted for 47 years has been most prosperous. Many cities have grown beyond the wildest expectations, birth rates have been unprecedented. No less then seven cities have reached popolation sizes that equal the capital Nineveh. Investments in infrastructure and buildings have been most effectfull and prosperous. The Assyrian people mourned for a full moon when the news of Harharu's death was proclamed throughout the Empire.
      His death had come at a most incovinient moment, as far as deaths ever come at the right time and place. Assyria found itself at a precarious situation. Other Empires had emerged at its borders, and many foreign scouts and warriors roamed its lands. As Harharu's only son had passed away at a young age, his many grandsons and nephews, descendents of Harharu's brother Tudiya, claimed the throne of Assyria.

The clans from the north and west, governed by Tudiya and his sons for many suns now, frontier cities to the Hatte empire and living with Hatte troops in their surroundings in a more or less permanent way, soon gained the upper hand over the clans of the south and east, who had been living in tranquility and wealth with their Babylonian and Persian neighbours, who's appearance was nothing more then a faint myth from tales long ago.
      When the news arrived in Nineveh of the founding of Tarsus by Hatte settlers, right on the river Seyhun that run along Ishkandaroun's city limits, a power struggle erupted among the many nobles at the Royal Court.

It was Harharu's eldest grandson, Mandaru, who was crowned King of Assyria, seven moons after Harharu's death. Mandaru vowed to continue on the path of wealth and prosperity his father and father's father's had taken, yet he acknoledged the threat the Hatte were posing to Assyria. So it was Mandaru who was to be the cental figure among the people of Assyria could rally for the times to come.

Aware of the devide that was growing in his empire, Mandaru issued two distinct orders. The southern tribes received Royal funds for their economic and scientific projects, while the northern tribes were appeased by stern action that was to be taken against the Hatte pirates that caused so much trouble to them.

War
      Assyrian armed forces entered the settlement of Tarsus, and razed the place to the ground.
      Gold and secret documents were taken as booty to Nineveh by the victors.
      In the Assyrian desert, Hatte scouts were ambushed and butchered to the last men.
      A few Assyrian soldiers twisted their wrists while beheading their captives.

Assyrian troops, of various formations, have been ordered to intercept and destroy the Hatte intruders currently roaming the Assyrian countryside. Scouts have been send along the river banks of the Seyhun river to intercept any auxilary forces to the Hatte settlers that so foolishly choose to defy the Assyrian borders. Frontier cities have received extensive funding for militairy infrastructure, and the construction of a militairy training camp has been ordered at an undisclosed location.
      Assyria will counter the Hatte intrusion of Assyrian lands with all means at its disposal.

other news
      The Assyrain army announced the capture and enslavement of yet another Barbarian group of Warriors.

to Egypt
      Is there any reason why Egypt has ventured into Assyria with a fully armed Chariot? From the archive stored in the Palace of Nineveh, clay tablets have been retreived that speak clearly on matters of Egyptian and Assyrian spheres of influence. You can expect a messanger from Assyria via the normal (PM) diplomatic channels.
      Attached Files
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• This was an UNPROVOKED attack on civilians. You could have given me some PRIOR NOTICE, I thought we were on good terms. You had actually insisted in an open border policy (no fixed borders yet). You DECEIVED me in to trusting you and then attacked, from within my territory. There are actually Assyrian scouts within range of my capital, so your pleadings are IRRELEVANT. You found the UNPROTECTED city and marched right in. Expect me to fight back. And what you think of diplomatic channels is clearly visible...
        "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
        -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
        "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
        "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• Originally posted by tanelorn
          This was an UNPROVOKED attack on civilians. You could have given me some PRIOR NOTICE, I thought we were on good terms. You had actually insisted in an open border policy (no fixed borders yet). You DECEIVED me in to trusting you and then attacked, from within my territory.
          Originally posted by Germanos

Hittite Farmers have been spotted near the north-western city limits of the Assyrian city of Ishkanderoun. We assume they will work the fields of Iconion, as local roumors tell us this Hittite city is near. They are asked to respect the city limits of Iskanderun however, which are defined as the southernmost region downstream of the Seyhan river.
          This is prior notice, as far as we as Assyria is conceirned.
          We also thought we were supposed to be on good terms. So what the hell is the city of Tarsus doing in the delta of the Seyhan river ?

Originally posted by tanelorn
          There are actually Assyrian scouts within range of my capital, so your pleadings are IRRELEVANT. You found the UNPROTECTED city and marched right in. Expect me to fight back. And what you think of diplomatic channels is clearly visible...
          You can hardly blame Assyria for leaving the city of Tarsus defenseless.
          You willingly settled in Assyrian territory. Assyria will not tolerate your incursions any longer. Assyria's army is more then ready to expell all Hittite forces from its lands.
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by germanos
            War
            Assyrian armed forces entered the settlement of Tarsus, and razed the place to the ground.
            Gold and secret documents were taken as booty to Nineveh by the victors.
            In the Assyrian desert, Hatte scouts were ambushed and butchered to the last men.
            A few Assyrian soldiers twisted their wrists while beheading their captives.
            A most unfortunate turn of events. Pharoah requests abeyance of the 48 hour rule such that he might assemble his councilors and diplomats. My brothers in Hattusas and Nineveh are invited to develop their respective Terms of an Agreement by which this regrettable state of affairs can be quickly resolved, and to send forth to Memphis, emissaries empowered to broker a Peace Treaty.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• The Minoan people are peaceful sailors and fishers, but the sneak attack against the Hittite city of Tarsus has been considered shocking by almost anyone here.
              So have the words of the treacherous Assyrian leader mentioning other heads to cut.
              Our help has been required by our quiet neighbours, the Hittites, and we have decided to ally with them in order to repel this unprovoked aggression.
              Nevertheless, we strongly hope that the peaceloving words of the Egyptian leader will be heard and that a peace treaty will be signed very soon ... and not broken afterwards.
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• Originally posted by tanelorn
                BTW, what are pre-worked settlers?
                Maybe I should be more concrete: there is a thread named 'Info: Settler and Engineers' in the Great Library. But it is a long reading
                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Mandaru, you foolish child.

I was well within the limmits of the no fixed border agreement you proposed and insisted in. When it fits you you keep it, when it doesn't, you twist it to your needs? You were contradicting your self by asking a border line. I had proposed a fixed borderline in the area and it was you who rejected it, remember?
                  As for Seyhan, where did you include the river itself? You only said downstream, that is vague at least.
                  THERE WAS NO MENTION OF CASUS BELI WHATSOEVER.
                  I acted peacefully & came unarmed. I trusted you. Never again.

It is funny how you think it is ok for you to send your scouts into other people's lands with impunity, and start threatening once theirs even get close to your lands. That is a fact, Mandaru, hypocrit.

Even if there was a hint of contention in Cilicia, why did you attack my scouts in the middle of the arabian desert, miles from any lands you claim as yours? You own the desert too? Probably because you had swordsmen roaming about...

You are the kind of coward that attacks weak and unprotected non-beligerents.
                  Mandaru, you are a disgrace to good old Harharu, you bring shame to your dynasty. Harharu ought to have slapped some sense into you, boy.

Might doesn't make right.

Thank you, Minoa for your kind words and assistance.
                  Egypt, your kind efforts are trully appreciated.
                  "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                  -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                  "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                  "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• The Greeks are irrelevant in all of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Clark
                      The Greeks are irrelevant in all of this.
                      As was historically true - at least in this era. They bided their time and let the great powers slug it out for millenia and then swept in to gather up the pieces......

Comment

• Originally posted by La Fayette
                        The Minoan people are peaceful sailors and fishers, but the sneak attack against the Hittite city of Tarsus has been considered shocking by almost anyone here.
                        So have the words of the treacherous Assyrian leader mentioning other heads to cut.
                        Our help has been required by our quiet neighbours, the Hittites, and we have decided to ally with them in order to repel this unprovoked aggression.
                        Nevertheless, we strongly hope that the peaceloving words of the Egyptian leader will be heard and that a peace treaty will be signed very soon ... and not broken afterwards.
                        Hunter-gatherers around the Seyhun basin speak of foreign armies knitting their fate with those of the Hatte pirates. It is romoured these people travel the great lake in the west. Assyrian armed forces in the northwest and all along the shores of the great lake have been instructed to guard their rear to the lakeside as well.

Comment

• Re: Mandaru, you foolish child.

Originally posted by tanelorn
                          As for Seyhan, where did you include the river itself? You only said downstream, that is vague at least.
                          Assyria apologizes if the concept of 'up' and 'down' has proven to be to complicated to grasp for the Hatte. Your ignorance must be immeasurable. The fate of the Hatte people doesn't look too bright considering this, and the settlers of Tarsus can attest to this.

As for borders: if the Hatte assume Assyria will allow for foreign forces to enter and stay within city-limits of Assyrian settlements, eat there food, exploit their resources and deprive the citizens to work the fields as they choose, they are mistaken, as they have now found out the hard way.

Assyrian diplomats have traveled to Egypt, and met Egyptian diplomats who will attempt to broker an agreement with the Hatte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Clark
                            The Greeks are irrelevant in all of this.
                            The Greeds needn't be so modest. They are romoured to be wise, vigilant and analytical

Originally posted by Steve Clark

Got a Harbor built. Just staying well away from all of the rumoured excitement in the middle of the map.

Comment

• The Great King of Persia, having heard of turmoils not too far of his borders is very concerned. Scouts are ordered to go further west than ever before to contact the rumoured Hittites and get an idea of what things are like.
                              Follow the masses!
                              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• Peace Negotiations

Pharoah is pleased to announce that emissaries from the Hittites and Assyria are gathered now in the Egyptian capital of Memphis. It seems that peace is desired by both sides, and opening offers have been received.

For it's part, Egypt has weighed the desires of each party and presented a proposal that Pharoah believes to be fair and reasonable and accomodating to both sides. Standing by......

Comment

Working...
                                X