Aeterna Civitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Exile

Nope, deffinately 100% not there. It just appears! I have reveled the map in the cheat menu and in scenario perameters and it is deffinately not there!!!

The only thing I can think of is that there was once a Macedonian unit there an that I deleted it and changed ownership to Barbarians using CivCity and the game somehow remembers the unit was there!?

Regarding the trick of placing units in a cit. If for example I placed a Macedonian spearmen in each of the barbarian cities in Magna Graecia, would the Macedonian player be able to move these units or would they be immobile?

Also how do you place them? I just tried to add a unit and it does not seem to have appeared in the barbarian city.

I would like to try and use this trick to force conflict between the Romans and Macedonians in southern Italy in the single player game.

@Yaroslav
    This was the batch file I made:

@echo off
    cls
    echo.
    echo AETERNA CIVITAS
    echo.
    echo Loading starting rules and event files for the game
    echo Please choose from the options below:
    echo.
    echo 1. Reset and Delev
    echo X. Exit without Loading
    echo.
    choice /c:1X Enter your selection

if errorlevel 1 goto Reset and Delev

:Reset and Delev
    echo.
    echo Reset and Delev
    copy events1.txt events.txt
    DELEVENT
    goto done

:done
    echo.
    pause
    exit
    quit
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

• @McMonkey

The problem is that DELEVENT without the name of the file whose events you want to remove does not work. So you need to do DELEVENT test.sav. Unfortunately DELEVENT does not allow the syntax "DELEVENT *.sav", so either

1) You force the player to save the file with a specific name so you can put DELEVENT specificname.sav in your batch file. This is the option that I have seen more commonly applied

or

2) You do the following "bat magic", which is what I would advise: replace DELEVENT entry with

for %%i IN (*.sav) DO DELEVENT %%i

That will remove the events from all the sav files in that folder, which is the best option IMHO (please pay attention to the case of the commands: for is a valid comamnd, FOR isn´t)

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Please accept my most humble apologies for my rather awful use of English. I am trying to improve, but... I guess my English is still very poor.
      Last edited by yaroslav; January 20, 2008, 08:41.
      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

• Originally posted by yaroslav
        (please pay attention to the case of the commands: for is a valid command, FOR isn´t)
        That's good to know! I had forgotten that bit of lore.

Of course all of this is imminently obsolete, once Merc releases "CivBat".
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boco

That's good to know! I had forgotten that bit of lore.
          So did I. Fortunately, a few experiments and for /? allowed me to remember how to use for in a bat file

Comment

• Originally posted by McMonkey

Nope, deffinately 100% not there. It just appears! I have reveled the map in the cheat menu and in scenario perameters and it is deffinately not there!!!

The only thing I can think of is that there was once a Macedonian unit there an that I deleted it and changed ownership to Barbarians using CivCity and the game somehow remembers the unit was there!?

Regarding the trick of placing units in a cit. If for example I placed a Macedonian spearmen in each of the barbarian cities in Magna Graecia, would the Macedonian player be able to move these units or would they be immobile?

Also how do you place them? I just tried to add a unit and it does not seem to have appeared in the barbarian city.
            It won't show up. Err...let me explain. I've done this before, quite by accident. Say, for instance, I put a Roman legion in a barb city, that has two barb defending units. The legion will NOT show up in the city screen whatsoever. As soon as the two barb defenders are destroyed, the legion WILL show in the city screen, even while the city is still in barb hands. The legion would have to move out of the city and back in to capture it. While the barbs are in the city, the legion is in some sort of hibernation. If it is computer-controlled, it just stays put. If human-controlled, it makes a problem. The game will act as if the legion is ready to move, but the legion, hibernating in the barb city, won't be, and you have to press space, or whatever. ( ) I haven't thoroughly checked that hibernation capability of a unit in an enemy city. Hope this helps, McMonkey

Comment

• @Yaroslav
              Thanks for the explanation. I had only done a little bit of work on Batch files before and did not understand/had forgotten how the delevent worked.

@Boco
              x100 to CivBat comment!

@Jerec
              Interesting. I will experiment with this technique. Do you know if it is possible to delete one of these hibernating units once it has been placed?

Would I just use 'destroy all units at cursor'?

This technique seems like a good way of causing rivalry between the human and AI players in single player games!
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

This technique seems like a good way of causing rivalry between the human and AI players in single player games!
                Henrik´s Historibus used this trick to make sure that attacking a neutral Holy-Roman-Empire city means attacking Austria

Comment

• error

I didn't read whole thread, so pardon me if this has been all ready dealt with.

I downloaded the scenario and unzipped it the same way I have do with any other scen. but when I tried to run the scenario, the game crashed. thrice. what's wrong?

error screen as attachment.
                  Attached Files
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

• @Andemagne
                    Was it the original Aeterna Civitas you downloaded from the Scenario League?

Which version of Civ II are you running, FW or MGE?

Do you have the patches installed?

I have never had any problems with Aeterna Civitas and nobody has ever mentioned anything wrong, we played a seven player PBEM game at Civ Webring and it was OK.

Unfortunately I am not very good at deciphering error messages and so on. Can someone technically minded help?
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• I have just got my desktop computer broken (posting from a laptop ), so I can't access my civ2

Anyway, Andermage, if you can kindly answer McMonkey's answers, we can try to go from there.

Comment

@Jerec
                        Interesting. I will experiment with this technique. Do you know if it is possible to delete one of these hibernating units once it has been placed?

Would I just use 'destroy all units at cursor'?
                        Yes to both questions. Taking up my example with the two barbs and the legion...like I said before, the legion won't show until the 2 barbs are gone. So you would simply have to use "destroy all units at cursor" twice to get rid of the legion.

Comment

• Cool. Just tried it out and low and behold the pesky Greek General was (100% definitely ) hiding there, invisible all the time! Excellent way of representing allied cities and dictating diplomacy without taking up events space. Have tested recreating the trick and it works perfectly. Another weapon for the arsenal! Thanks for the advice!

Things are coming together nicely now. Have learnt a lot of new tricks about the GAME text and tech tree. All the units stats and prices are finished and tested. I have started an overhaul of the tech tree and placement of units/improvements on it.

I will try and come up with some more logical/accurate tech names. Have made some changes. Guerrilla Warfare will replace vanilla Republic which I find is too powerful a government form, especially in multiplayer games where a savvy player can rapidly expand his cities and unbalance the game. Luckily Mountain slingers are in the Partisan slot!

I am trying to work out relevant names for the governments. To begin with all the civs have Republic governments (Monarchy) except the Celts and Ger manics which already have Empire (Monarchy).

The first new government for the 'civilized' nations to discover (a priority!) is Empire. I have also included Communism and Fundamentalism but I'm not sure what to call them. Any suggestions?

Also, I am considering giving the Romans Leonardo's Workshop from the beginning so that their units will update when they develop the Marian Reforms and get Legions/Auxiliaries. I am not 100% clear if/how this will work as Velites/Hastati/Principes and Trirarii already have X1 (Non Roman) as the Civ advance which renders unit obsolete. Is their a workaround or does the national specific trick make using Leonardo's impossible?

I have also made a new black and white tech tree printout that will be easier for me to edit and will save peoples precious coloured ink should they wish to print it out!
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Cool. Just tried it out and low and behold the pesky Greek General was (100% definitely ) hiding there, invisible all the time! Excellent way of representing allied cities and dictating diplomacy without taking up events space. Have tested recreating the trick and it works perfectly. Another weapon for the arsenal! Thanks for the advice!
                            You will use that info much better than I! Glad to help.

Things are coming together nicely now. Have learnt a lot of new tricks about the GAME text and tech tree. All the units stats and prices are finished and tested. I have started an overhaul of the tech tree and placement of units/improvements on it.
                            You HAVE been busy. And GAME.txt can be an excellent source to inject atmosphere. In CGW (Caesar's Gallic War) I have heavily edited the pop-ups and diplomacy text to make up for a lack of normal event pop-up atmosphere. Stuff like "We ignore your feeble threats" to "We ignore your feeble legions," and "No, not interested," to "No, Gaulish savages aren't worth protecting with an alliance."

I will try and come up with some more logical/accurate tech names. Have made some changes. Guerrilla Warfare will replace vanilla Republic which I find is too powerful a government form, especially in multiplayer games where a savvy player can rapidly expand his cities and unbalance the game. Luckily Mountain slingers are in the Partisan slot!
                            How can a tech (Guerrilla Warfare) replace a gov form?

The first new government for the 'civilized' nations to discover (a priority!) is Empire. I have also included Communism and Fundamentalism but I'm not sure what to call them. Any suggestions?
                            How about Triumviri (or Triumvirate) for Communism? A few powerful individuals in power...

And how about Rex or Regis for Fundamentalism? The Rex/Regis was elected king-for-life in Rome, and was chief of the military, chief priest, chief judge, and chief of the gov, of course. Sounds like fanaticism to me.

Also, I am considering giving the Romans Leonardo's Workshop from the beginning so that their units will update when they develop the Marian Reforms and get Legions/Auxiliaries. I am not 100% clear if/how this will work as Velites/Hastati/Principes and Trirarii already have X1 (Non Roman) as the Civ advance which renders unit obsolete. Is their a workaround or does the national specific trick make using Leonardo's impossible?
                            IMHO don't bother, since the possibility is iffy anyway.
                            Last edited by Jerec; January 21, 2008, 01:10.

Comment

• Oh, and could Empire be changed to Imperium? Sounds better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerec

How about Triumviri (or Triumvirate) for Communism? A few powerful individuals in power...

And how about Rex or Regis for Fundamentalism? The Rex/Regis was elected king-for-life in Rome, and was chief of the military, chief priest, chief judge, and chief of the gov, of course. Sounds like fanaticism to me.
                                Instead of Triumvirate, you may use Gracchus' dictatorship. According to their enemies in Senate, his ideas were comunist

Comment

Working...
                                X