No announcement yet.

Hannibal's War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merc: I think I'm having a Boco moment understanding the readme to CivSprite (apologies to Boco )

I created a sprite file OK from my units file with SpriteGen, but when I tried to extract bmps in order to tweak the masks using CivSprite I got the following message:

CivSprite caused an error (#9) Subscript out of range.

I have the run-time files as CivSprite worked fine extracting the El Aurens sprites...
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

You mean you tried editing the file you created with SpriteGen? That isn't possible. CivSprite isn't "smart" enough yet.

You're going to have to stick with the standard Static.spr and edit that one with CivSprite.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
        Why? Mix and match English and Latin looks half-baked. And while your at it, we should have Roma and Carthago

Okay, how about i use Greek names for all the cities and i have you fellas banging your heads to the wall to find out what Karchedon and Zakantha are?
        "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
        Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

That would be peurile hogwash

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatore Uno
            You mean you tried editing the file you created with SpriteGen? That isn't possible. CivSprite isn't "smart" enough yet.

You're going to have to stick with the standard Static.spr and edit that one with CivSprite.
            Aaah I see. Will do!

Comment

A question for you: the MGE method of dictating civ colour through cities.bmp doesn't seem to apply to the ToT civ colours displayed on the unit health bar. Are these hard coded, or if not how do I change them?
              This was brought up recently in Curt's Bitterfrost thread. I swear it's déjà vu. The posts that followed likewise included a slagging of ToT's graphics and what seems a mandatory reference to oats by Boco. Actually, looking at my response there, I should make a minor correction – the revolt box is unaffected by civ colour in ToT.

I've replaced the terrain with you-know-who's fantastic ToT stuff, and done a few unit gfx and resource tweaks. If I get the go ahead to officially use the terrain I'll post the conversion here.
              I distinctly remember you-know-who stating elsewhere that you didn't need to ask permission.

Trouble is, there is now a newer version of MGE Hannibal with additional events and units, and I'm buggered if I can use Angelo Scotto's ToT converter now that I'm on XP. Did he ever release a version with a GUI as my PC doesn't seem to do DOS?
              I dual boot to XP and 98SE, and have no problems running CivConverter with either OS. You might want to get your hands on PowerToys for XP. It's basically a bunch of free unofficial applications, made by Microsoft's development team, which provides various "enhancements" for XP. I always installed them as a single package, but I notice that MS now provides them as separate downloads. The CmdHere.exe component allows you to bring up the DOS prompt from any directory by right-clicking it and selecting Open Command Window Here. It's much easier than the Run box.

Links:
              PowerToys for XP Home Edition
              PowerToys for XP Pro Edition

Originally posted by Boco
              'Course you'd have to bite the bullet and make sprites via SpriteGen.
              Don't you mean CivSprite?

Originally posted by Mercatore Uno
              Don't worry Fairline, I'm sure SpriteGen 2 (with mask layer support) is just around the corner.
              Last edited by Catfish; March 30, 2004, 04:14.
              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Yes, oats for brains mixed up the sprite utility names. When I have time, I'll go back and edit all my posts to replace offending grain references with 'levendulo-griseus'. May the upcoming winter skies down under provide many repeated vistas of gray hues.

What a way to go down in SL annals. "I had a Boco moment".
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish
                  Don't worry Fairline, I'm sure SpriteGen 2 (with mask layer support) is just around the corner.
                  Riiight... I have to finish CivSwap first (remember that one?).

@ Boco... No no, wait... I'm laughing with you, not at you.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                    Yes, oats for brains mixed up the sprite utility names. When I have time, I'll go back and edit all my posts to replace offending grain references with 'levendulo-griseus'. May the upcoming winter skies down under provide many repeated vistas of gray hues.
                    On the dullest of dull days, I'll be sure to think of Boco.
                    Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Catfish

This was brought up recently in Curt's Bitterfrost thread. I swear it's déjà vu. The posts that followed likewise included a slagging of ToT's graphics and what seems a mandatory reference to oats by Boco. Actually, looking at my response there, I should make a minor correction – the revolt box is unaffected by civ colour in ToT.
                      Just looked up Curt's thread and it is a bit Groundhog Day-ish. Hadn't seen it before, or maybe my memory is worse than I thought.

I distinctly remember you-know-who stating elsewhere that you didn't need to ask permission.
                      OK, I'll steal at will then

I dual boot to XP and 98SE, and have no problems running CivConverter with either OS. You might want to get your hands on PowerToys for XP. It's basically a bunch of free unofficial applications, made by Microsoft's development team, which provides various "enhancements" for XP. I always installed them as a single package, but I notice that MS now provides them as separate downloads. The CmdHere.exe component allows you to bring up the DOS prompt from any directory by right-clicking it and selecting Open Command Window Here. It's much easier than the Run box.
                      Thanks, I'll look this up

Comment

• I'll post the updated MGE version of Hannibal tomorrow, followed by a ToT version when I find the time to edit the sprite file

Comment

• Hannibal's War MGE updated version

OK, here's the promised update. The gameplay and events have been tweaked and a few new units added, together with many of the suggestions from this thread. Thanks to all who commented. Palaiologos has also made a nice html guide (somewhat inspired by Boco )

As the Greek bloke is away for some time, I get to post the zips

EDIT: The correct zips are available at CDG:

Last edited by fairline; May 8, 2004, 18:19.

Comment

• Second scenario zip:

EDIT: numpty has posted the correct files at CDG:

Last edited by fairline; May 8, 2004, 18:22.

Comment

• First part of the guide:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Second part of the guide:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X