Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369
    Solver, I have a new install of Warlords... as in I uninstalled and then installed this. It doesn't keep assets folders when uninstalling, does it?
    It will keep the assets folder if there are any extra files in it compared to standard install... (because it wont delete those files)

Comment

What type of router do you have (brand)?
      Siemens Speedstream 6520

Wireless ADSL Gateway, but am hardwired to it.
      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Oh, you have the SBC wireless DSL modemrouter? Hmm, interesting. It's probably not configured very well, if I know SBC/ATT/whatever... I had that for a few weeks, because they snuck it in (at a charge of course) on me without asking. Morons. Anyway, I know some routers don't support NAT in the same fashion as others; my Linksys router rarely connected with Civ4 (but sometimes did) while my DLink and Netgear routers have always been fine.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
          I am there, I think. I have redirected UDP 2056 to
          IP Address: 192.168.2.12, which is my machine according to the device identifier in the router.

Now, will it work?

Nope. Still times out.

Hey. Maybe I'm not the problem.
          Congrats, Bruce!

The port forward does not solve the timeout problem (well, not for me, either), but helps you coexist with other players in the game, as you are more likely to correctly establish connections with other "peers" (players).

BTW... if you ever run into "weird" behaviour with CIV MP - like a magnitude weirder than now - go and check the router settings. The IP of your machine may change (and the port forward thingy would then stop working).

There is a setting that prevents this completely and there is another setting that makes it pretty much a non-issue. I will get docs on your router and tell you what to set to avoid having troubles in the future.

Just give me some time - gotta run now.

Comment

• One presumes you're talking about static IP for the LAN (or at least for that one computer on the LAN)?
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Solver, I have a new install of Warlords... as in I uninstalled and then installed this. It doesn't keep assets folders when uninstalling, does it?
              Yes, if anything was added, the Assets folder (and the new files) would still exist after a reinstall. So you should delete the folder completely, manually, and then do the thing...
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

One presumes you're talking about static IP for the LAN (or at least for that one computer on the LAN)?
                Yes.

There is another IP for my wife's laptop.
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by vondrack

Congrats, Bruce!

The port forward does not solve the timeout problem (well, not for me, either), but helps you coexist with other players in the game, as you are more likely to correctly establish connections with other "peers" (players).

BTW... if you ever run into "weird" behaviour with CIV MP - like a magnitude weirder than now - go and check the router settings. The IP of your machine may change (and the port forward thingy would then stop working).

There is a setting that prevents this completely and there is another setting that makes it pretty much a non-issue. I will get docs on your router and tell you what to set to avoid having troubles in the future.

Just give me some time - gotta run now.
                  Understood and thanks!

Comment

• 3 attempts to connect this morning all timed out.

Comment

• I have an idea. Let's see if we can isolate the problem. If snoopy (or vondrack) will start a two player pitboss game - just him and me - and I still have issues joing that game, then the problem is clearly at my end. If not, it could be someone else - because as vondrack noted earlier, he did join the game once when I was logged in.

Comment

...while my DLink and Netgear routers have always been fine.
                        Now that you mention it, I have a brand new D-Link DI-524 Air Plus G router. The speedstream one was supplied by the ISP.

Comment

One presumes you're talking about static IP for the LAN (or at least for that one computer on the LAN)?
                          Rather about MAC/IP binding or a prolonged DHCP lease time. Static IP might work, too, but for some reason I'm not able to properly explain, it doesn't sound like the right thing to me... It's a matter of fact that Windows machines with fixed IP addresses work "less smoothly" than those obtaining their IPs from a DHCP server.

Well, I have skimmed through the user manual and it seems that your router does not allow MAC/IP binding, Bruce (no surprise, this feature is usually found in more sophisticated routers only). That would have been the most elegant solution...

After giving your setup some more thought, I think it will be best if you simply leave things as they are now and keep in mind that your CIV MP setup will work as long as your CIV machine IP address remains 192.168.2.12. In case of troubles, check your CIV machine IP first (if it's changed, update your port forwarding setup accordingly).

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
                            3 attempts to connect this morning all timed out.
                            Hmmm... considering you earlier reports... let's try this: in the same way you forwarded 2056/UDP, forward 6500/TCP, too (it's a GameSpy port, might be needed). If it helps, cool. If not, just undo the change.

Just a wild guess...

Comment

• I have spent about an hour messing around with port monitoring tools, but haven't found anything helpful... I don't think it's you, Bruce - it's probably either GameSpy or alexman's server. I will time out... and again... and then join smoothly few seconds later... if logging to GameSpy helps you join, then just use that trick.

I believe Direct IP would be worth trying... the whole GameSpy magic - or, "magic", dare I say - just gets into our way here.

Oh, boy, how many times I've been through this...

Comment

• Yeah, would be nice to connect to this game via direct IP, if Alex can get that to work with his firewall there.

But being the lucky bastard I am, just played another turn on the first attempts. Don't think anyone else was connected.
                                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                                X