The Dance of Civilizations [Diplo Game] [Organization Thread Pt1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome back Inca!
    I'm at work now, I'll be home in about 1,5 - 2 hours from now and unpause (re-launch) the game.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Aww your killing me RP.
      The civ formerly known as The Holy Empire of Britannia/dutch

Comment

• The game will be up again about 3 hours from when I posted this message

Comment

• I can't access the game at all...

ah. saw cybers post now.
          Bare derutsya — u kholopov chuby treschat.
          The Russian Dynasty:
          Samo the Headbanded
          Catherine the Progenitor
          Dominika Ekatarinova
          (Konya the Lost)
          Igor Exilaskaya

Comment

• ALWAYS READ MY RED POSTS! They are important! And not red and bold for nothing.

Comment

• I'm going to be the bad guy and saying that we should not pause the game for 24h for anyone's request (if that civ is in war then I can understand-otherwise no no..)
              Hope this is the last time

Comment

• Originally posted by India (DoC) View Post
                I'm going to be the bad guy and saying that we should not pause the game for 24h for anyone's request (if that civ is in war then I can understand-otherwise no no..)
                I agree to this. If you are not at war them there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russia
                  I then moved one of my units next to the empty city and figured if there was any confusion then byzantine would fill up their city again. as they didn't, I figured everything was set up for the peace treaty as agreed on the discussions.
                  Yeah I can see the Russia. The tricky thing is that the way the turns sequenced meant that in fact I didn't have a chance to move between you moving a unit next to the empty city and then you capturing it. But it seems like it was all just a bit of confusion which we managed to iron out with no harm done.
                  Last edited by Byzantium (DoC); November 25, 2009, 14:51.
                  Βασιλεύς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων

Comment

• Originally posted by india
                    I'm going to be the bad guy and saying that we should not pause the game for 24h for anyone's request (if that civ is in war then I can understand-otherwise no no..)
                    As attractive as this sounds, I disagree.

I just remember how much grief there was in BtP with a problem, someone asking for a pause, it being ignored, then 48 hours later whne the problem didn't go away, its immensly distruptive to reload, and so we ended in a mess. It happened quite a few times. In this game we have managed to avoid so far any real arguments at all, which is bliss.

I think we should be willing to pause for up to 24 hours someone asks and explains to RP why it is critical for them.

I agree that outside of war it is hard to justify a pause as critical, but I can imagine cases. For example, an opponent rushing towards an undefended or weakly defended city. There is no war yet, but there will be when they get there - your defender can get there if you don't miss a turn, but can't if you do. Hence, if you miss the turn, you lose a city. I think that is critical.
                    Or you are not at war but are going to declare it that turn because your openent has made a mistake and its wide open.

If you don't allow a pause in that situation, the affected person is likely to feel really pissed off and cheated, and that is really bad in a game which relies on good will over many months. Its not worth 24 hours. And indeed the arguments afterwards tend to blow up into delaying things by more than 24 hours anyway. Lets be honest, we haven't been overun with requests for delays have we?

Particuclarly, though, we should have sympathy for a situation like Inca's when he was here ready to play, but another problem meant that through no fault of his own he was going to miss the turn. Most of the time, who cares, but if Inca feels that at this particular moment its critical, I think the pause is well worth it.

Comment

• Game's up again.

The reason I paused for Inca was that he should not receive a disadvantage b/c of something that happened between other civs.
                      I agree that it shouldn't happen to often, but since it doesn't I think it was ok this time. Something we can argue about

Comment

• As you said it's hard to define what is critical and what is not so it's better if we just don't allow it at all in the future. It's ok to ask 4-5h pause but 12-24h is just too much.
                        alternatives:
                        -be ready for the unexpected
                        -ask someone to sub for you (probably there is only 1-2 critical move/turn)
                        -accept it as a bad luck
                        -(declare war on someone :P )

anyway I'm sure Inca had a good reason, I did not protest. this is just what I think we should follow from now on imho.

Comment

• I am sorry. I ask for pause as I miss turn befor as read civstats very early in the morning so very little time. 1 miss turn is not a big trouble to me but 2 is. i can not trade at the best time and my workers do not work. I am sorry but you are all kind here. Maybe we go to 24 hours and avoid problem like this?

Not all are students in this game. Fast clock is ok if just warrior looking at things but not if big army is sitting next to you. If you miss the turn then maybe you have war and not have the chances to help your own army. I have 3 of 4 biggest nations next to me so i could die easily if one is nasty. Easy for india but not for inca.
                          Suwasqa wasi hina simiyoq

Comment

• 24hr clock is like torcher for me. As long as things like this do not happen too often then there is no need to change anything. Lets just all be happy the game is up again and lets get back to playing the game.

Comment

• i think pauses should be allowed .. We al lhave real lives to deal with and not all of have 24 hr access to computers.

It is only a gmae folks and if your life is revolving around playing a turn here then perhpas your life is even suckier than mine.

So lets be nice to all.

Comment

• I agree, occasional pauses, and a slow down for war, is a small price to pay for keeping the game at 12 hrs

Comment

Working...
                                X