"Second Chance at Empire" a modern age Diplo Pitboss game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heraclitus
    You will have to be Gordon Brown (but you can elect someone lese after his turn is up or when he dies) is that ok?

Also the last time I checked its the United Kingdom, but if you want we can Free England from Scottish tyranny.
    Well... Assuming GB doesn't chicken out yet agin, there should be an election in 2009 (there should have been one last year, which then moved to this year). And if it happens 'pre-disaster' then there'll be no hope of him winning (elections are normally in May/June).

Also, the full name is the "United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". And IIRC, it was a Scottish king who first sat on the English throne in order to rule both nations, plus more than 50% of current English politicians (including GB himself) are actually Scottish. It's only a loud minority that want independance, so after a disaster such as the rest of the world disappearing, Britain would rally together. So simply having the British instead of the English is perfectly fine. And GB will already be gone by 2010 with no trouble

The only question comes from two English provinces; Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar. What happens to them?

NI would have a fairly strong military presence and so would remain British, but Gibraltar doesn't have much of a military that I know of. I would suggest that a single British city represnt Gibralter at the start of the game, but leave it undefended. Then the players (me and Spain) can decide whether or not it's an important asset or not.
    Last edited by MMC; September 1, 2008, 19:22.
    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
    "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Is that a bad thing?
      I did not mean anything by that. I just remember watching a movie like what you wrote not long ago.

Comment

MMC, if this is done on an Earth map I doubt there is going to be enough room for the British to have both Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. Just based on keeping it feesable. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, plus you don't want to overload on civs so I don't think its necessary to put Scotland in either.

Comment

I agree with Korea.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I really can't respond to many of your suggestions (even though many are pretty good) until I know about which map we are going to use. Can anyone please tell me the specs required to run the Huge Earth Map?

I was actually thinking of simulating Canadians by a size one British city in NA. There are not enough Australians to make them plausibly a civ. There are enough Chinese, I don't know about Japanese though, perhaps as part of some kind of Eastern coalition.

Also Italy & Portugal where colonial powers.

I still think Brazil is better off as part of Portugal, I don't know if there are enough Brazilians in Europe to actuall rebuild a country, even a tiny one. Portugal is also the only Portuguese speaking nation in the world except Brazil so merging the two countries didn't seem off.

In any case the "merger" was mostly PR since Portugal hopes it can use old claims to get that land back eventually.

Again people what I really need is opinions on the maps I proposed!
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The Huge Earth Map comes with 36 civs including:

Hungary
              Australia
              Poland
              Brazil
              Israel
              Scandinavia
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I really can't respond to many of your suggestions (even though many are pretty good) until I know about which map we are going to use. Can anyone please tell me the specs required to run the Huge Earth Map?
                Well my suggestions were based on a Huge Earth Map.

I was actually thinking of simulating Canadians by a size one British city in NA. There are not enough Australians to make them plausibly a civ. There are enough Chinese, I don't know about Japanese though, perhaps as part of some kind of Eastern coalition.

Also Italy & Portugal where colonial powers.
                I understand that, (calling Italy a colonial "power" is a bit of an exaggeration though) but you can't have too many civilizations in the game.

I still think Brazil is better off as part of Portugal, I don't know if there are enough Brazilians in Europe to actuall rebuild a country, even a tiny one. Portugal is also the only Portuguese speaking nation in the world except Brazil so merging the two countries didn't seem off.
                What does this mean? Is every country based in Europe? Secondly Brazil is NOT the only other Portugese speaking country in the world.

In any case the "merger" was mostly PR since Portugal hopes it can use old claims to get that land back eventually.

Again people what I really need is opinions on the maps I proposed!
                I clearly don't grasp what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you suggesting that a minority population (say like Africans who live in Germany) would try to go off and form their own country just because the country they MOVED FROM WHEN IT WAS STILL AROUND is destroyed? That doesn't make any sense at all. Why are the Brazilians FROM Portugal? I am not poking fun at you, I just don't get what you are trying to say. And why are there Canadians in North America if there are Brazilians in Portugal?
                "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

How many times must I explain this to you?

The small civs are being used as pretext for the bigger European civs to colonize parts of the world they have no claim too.

Example:
                  France "encourages" (or deports it that is more to your liking) its Arab populations to resettle in the ME planing that it will control the weak state they will build and its wast oil resources.

If France just sent French settlers to the region the other big powers would object and this would lead to war

The other powers encourage their own Arab population to move to the country all the while trying to bribe the new formed nation to be their "client state" and not France's.

The Arabs moving to the ME understand this, but they also hope that they can get a better deal from another power. Eventually they hope can be an independent Muslim nation.

Also there are some peoples who are just that nationalistic or religious. Jew wanting a New Jerusalem and fearing the resurgence of nationalism in Europe. Muslims wanting a New Mecca. Americans wanting to remain a nation, ect.

PS I know about Angola and Mozambique, do you think they are relevat to this scenario? Perhaps a Brazilian-African Union instead of a Portugese-African union?

Italy: 60 million people, one of the G7 nations. I called them a colonial power because they grabbed off large chunks of the old Ottoman Empire (including Libya) they also controlled at various points in time Eritrea, Albania, Greece, parts of the Western Balkans, Western Slovenia, Ethiopia and Somalia. The Italian city states also had holdings all over the Mediterranean in medieval times.
                  Last edited by Heraclitus; September 5, 2008, 11:39.

Comment

I've been thinking of making EFTA a single civ.

Also I'd like to get started on the map so some input on which map to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X