"Second Chance at Empire" a modern age Diplo Pitboss game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Second Chance at Empire" a modern age Diplo Pitboss game

Some of you may know of my speculative "The World without USA" and "The world without Europe" threads. This is a game where, from Europe's perspective, the rest world reverts to its condition in 2000BC just without the humans, on January 1st 2009.

The game would be set in 2010, one year after the disappearance.

Features:

-We use the next war mod so that civs will have something interesting to research.

-Tech stagnation, raging barbarians

-Each turn = one month

-Each civ starts with its current leader (we simulate the appropriate traits by allow custom leaders and renaming them)

-Voucher system (rebuilder civs start with lots)

-Votes every 10 years (120 turns)

-We play on a huge map of the world, we try to make Europe as close to what it will be in this world of 2010

(basically we take Europe in 2008 and downgrade the economies of Western Europe and Russia to simulate the effect of loosing major markets on export oriented economies).

-Russia and a few other civs custom victory conditions besides the standard ones, to throw in a bit of chaos

-Turks, Arabs, Americans and several others try to rebuild their civs (they start with next renaissance/early industrial tech a few settlers, infantry and a small civilian navy and communication with the European mainland. These are basically immigrants who lived in Europe who have returned to their homelands to rebuild. They are away from the tension but need the support of at least one European Power to thrive, their ultimate objective is to outshine the European powers.

-Europe is the only part of the map visible at the game's start.

-The larger countries have a UU that replaces settlers, it costs twice or even three times as much. Eastern Euro, Small countries and the rebuilding states don't have these. A few civs such as India, China and ME states (but not turkey) start out with a UU that replaces settlers but costs half less.

I'm throwing this in to represent demographic trends.

-A few "rebuilder" civs get bonuses:

Israel (starts with size 1 New Jerusalem, Holy city of Christianity and Judaism
    Arabs (New Mecca, holy city of Islam)

ect. for all the holy cities

Americans start with several military bases in several Euro countries (small cities and forts) with substantial forces but not enough gold to support them. To who will they sell them off to? They also have two subs filled with nukes one in a Polish and one in a British port. At games start the French, British and Germans are each paying them 20 gpt in aid, but players are under no obligation to maintain this "aid".

Other (mostly Muslim) countries have dozens settlers, many Muslim/ Hindu/ whatever missonaries and a few workers in various European states (and only have open borders with the staes in which the settlers are in). How will they get them to free land and what will they have to pay for this?

-No corporations except standard ethanol (found in Eastern Europe and several oil deprived states) are founded, a race is on to get them.

The reasons I propose this be made a pitboss Diplo game:

-As soon as the game starts all players have interesting things to do

-Its as close as diplo gamers can get to simulating the modern world without it becoming too much

-The UN would be present from the start (in Geneva) increasing its importance

-Players can explore their story lines that explain why the rest of the world has vanished

-Unqiue game play dynamics for each civ

-The fun of Russian vs. Western Europe stand off

-All the major colonial powers start out by claiming land they have held in the past. Will these claims be respected or even enforced?

-The scenario can be built in a week.

-we have a game going and finding a temporary host would be easy

-16 players
    Last edited by Heraclitus; August 28, 2008, 08:55.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

This just without the Caucasus and Asian Turkey

A few words on the map and the civs on it:

Turks start off with Istambul and northern Cyprus intact but have next to no military and bad relations with the Balcan states (especially with Greece )

Russia has in one year annexed Belarussia, the European part of Kazakhstan and Eastern Ukraine. Cities are in revolt, several strong barbarian units and a few barb cities (a few in Chechnya). Just a little something to keep them busy for 10-30 turns. They have a strong if dated army but can build more of it and are the only nation with ICBM's. Needless to say this makes Putin happy.

Western Europe has a modern army but can't build new better units than Russia until it gets the tech.

Poland= One civ

The EU is only a theoretical entity by now, however several power blocks within the union have sought tighter integration.

Eastern European Union= countries too small or underdeveloped to be playable alone especially next to Russia

Finland, Denmark, Sweden = Northern European Union

Norway, Iceland = one civ (maybe make Switzerland a part of it?=

Benelux= One civ

Germany and Austria are basically one civ so lets make it that way.

Ireland (either part of the Benelux as "Western EU" an independent civ or part of the UK)

ect.

Superpowers (should be played by less experienced players who can write good stories)

Nukes (only tactical nukes on subs)
    European Russia (Russia is an exception, they have a few ICBMs)
    Britain
    France

No Nukes:
    Greater Germany (has tech needed to build nukes and has uranium)

Great Powers:
    Italy
    Poland (has tech for nukes)
    Spain (has tech for nukes, may have uranium)
    Eastern/Southern EU (has uranium)
    Northern EU (has tech for nukes, has uranium)

I think having 10 Euro civs and 8 "Rebuilder" civs would work best (Israel or the Pakistani-Indian alliance, Turkey, Arabs, America the other 4 civs will be decided by the players)

Please make proposals and suggestions.

I was thinking of reducing the tech level from modern levels to 1960's levels to represent the short term loss of capability that would occur if Europe was cut off from the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; August 28, 2008, 08:44.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

People who have signed up to help make the scenario:

Heraclitus
      OzzyKP (as long as its not much)

We need:
      a war nerd
      and anyone who can spare the time

People who have signed up to play:

Heraclitus
      OzzyKP
      MMC
      Blackdragon921

BTW Could a mod change the thread title to ("Second Chance at Empire" a modern age Diplo Pitboss game)?
      Last edited by Heraclitus; August 28, 2008, 16:38.

Comment

BTW Could a mod change the thread title to ("Second Chance at Empire" a modern age Diplo Pitboss game)?

Fixed.

I'm sorry, I simply don't have the time to join another diplogame. Good luck!
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

Hey, how would you like to play Putin?

link to post that links to the right spot

One turn per day
          I've never played a multiplayer Civ game. I also have no clue what a Diplogame is.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I don't quite understand why this is a Diplogame.
            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

<---- map nerd.

I'm mildly interested, and think it would be a great diplogame (I'd love to see more diplogames in scenarios) but I'm not sure how much time I can commit to it. So as long as no one expects me to post a whole lot and there is a big enough turn timer, I suppose I could take turns now and then.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

I've never played a multiplayer Civ game. I also have no clue what a Diplogame is.
                Then Diplo (short for Diplomacy) might be good for you, if you are unfamiliar with , you see people play diplo because they want inter player interaction and plausible responses, no one will "zerg rush" you so to speak, you won't see people using exploits that would make no sense in the real world.

Imagine playing a single player civ game, just that the other players behave like the leaders of real countries would.

This would be a pitboss game MP civ game, this means that everyone has X hours to take their turn. You log in do your turn, press the red button and nothing happens. Untill everyone else has done the same or the turn timer runs out, since turns are simultaneous

Ozzy's FAQ for diplo games is a bit long and dated but has a few very good answers for a few questions you might have.

The winner is determined by a score system kept by the game organizer, it rewards having a high in-game score, "winning", being a competent military leader, being a good diplomat and writting up good stories that serve either as propaganda or as an explanation of what is happening in your civ. In may ways its like RP. How well someone does is determined by a vote every 100 turns.

Everyone plays at the intensity they like, some players spend a lot of time crafting stories and negotiating, others feel 10 min a day is plenty and a short story post per week is more than enough.

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                <---- map nerd.

I'm mildly interested, and think it would be a great diplogame (I'd love to see more diplogames in scenarios) but I'm not sure how much time I can commit to it. So as long as no one expects me to post a whole lot and there is a big enough turn timer, I suppose I could take turns now and then.
                I think a 48h timer would be best.

There wouldn't be much work involved. Like I said we take the Next War scenario use custom leaders to get the traits right and then just rename the civs we need.

Then all that would be left after that would be city and unit placement, something I would be happy to do but would need a war nerd.

Once that is done the game is started I log in as each civ and select the proper deals and then save the game. After that we can launch.

The big question is which Earth map to use. It has to have a large enough Europe (10 Euro civs), but It can't be too large since that would cause trouble.
                Last edited by Heraclitus; August 28, 2008, 12:02.

Comment

Originally posted by The Capo
                  I don't quite understand why this is a Diplogame.

Because Diplo is the best way to play civ.

And this would be a modern diplo, most diplo games seem to be put on hold once they reach the modern era, which is a bummer since there are so many interesting things to do then.

Comment

Information on Next War

NEXT WAR
                    Thanks to jkp1187 (John Palchak) for the following updates from his Not Just Another NextWar
                    Most of the Space Race projects assigned to new technologies.
                    The idea is to delay the Space Race until the players were using the additional NextWar technologies.
                    MISSION TO MARS (formerly APOLLO PROGRAM) requires ASTROGATION (formerly ROCKETRY)
                    Cost for MISSION TO MARS (formerly APOLLO PROGRAM) increased to 2250 hammers)
                    SS ENGINE: requires COLD FUSION (formerly FUSION)
                    SS COCKPIT: requires CYBERNETICS (formerly FIBER OPTICS)
                    SS DOCKING BAY: requires SHIELDING (formerly SATELLITES)
                    SS LIFE SUPPORT: requires HYDROPONICS (formerly ECOLOGY)
                    SS STASIS CHAMBER: requires CLONING (formerly GENETICS)
                    SS CASING: requires COMPOSITES (unchanged)
                    SPACE ELEVATOR: requires ROBOTICS + SATELLITES + FUSION (formerly just ROBOTICS + SATELLITES).
                    ARCOLOGY/ARCOLOGY SHIELDING/DEFLECTOR SHIELDING: The cost of all three of these buildings has been doubled.
                    Arcology now requires both Hydroponics and Composites
                    Nuke "CRACKED LIKE AN EGG" now only applies to Next War Scenario
                    Every game speed option now has 5% more turns
                    Added all of the random events from JKP1187's Random Events Mod.
                    I added three new NextWar-specific random events: "The Cylons", "Sensors", "Slip and Fall"
                    Added voice-overs for all of the Next War technologies
                    Added a new icon (by bmarnz) showing C. Everett Koop's likeness for the Center for Desease Control National Wonder
                    Added new icons for the Next War specific Unit Categories (Clones, Assault Mech, Bioweapons, Dreadnought)
                    Resource depletion only has a chance of occurring in the Scenario, no depletion in epic game.
                    Replaced regular bomber images with B-52 by Snafusmith.
                    These are the changes to the Next War scenario introduced in the BtS 3.17 patch. For info on Next War, just load the mod up, it was included in the Beyond the Sword expansion.

Comment

So the premise, basically, is that everyone in the world disappears except for the Europeans (sounds like a neo-nazi wet dream to me ) and its the future?

So its pretty much a sci-fi diplogame?
                      "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

Originally posted by The Capo
                        So the premise, basically, is that everyone in the world disappears except for the Europeans (sounds like a neo-nazi wet dream to me ) and its the future?
                        To be technical, everyone excpet peopel in Europe. And if you want to make the comparison to a Nazi wet dream even more vivid I've proposed a "Greater Germany".

No the real reason for choosing this backstory was to find a way to make a modern world diplo work (and not kill our PC's ):

-Europe has a lot of roughly equal countries (Italy, Germany, UK all have 60 million pop, Spain and Poland both have 30 million, "Greater Germany has 90 mil, EuroRussia 100 mil)

-All of them are all modern developed well rounded countries at roughly at the same tech level (it not development)

-There are three nuclear powers on the continent that are comparable in other ways

-People know most of the countries involved

Now its not necessarily SF I said players can explore in story why the rest of the world has vanished, I won't force my explanation on them. It can be magick if they want. It starts in 2010, one year after the rest of the world has dissipated, its basically Europe today but less stable and peaceful.

Tech levels will be at 1960's levels*and the extended tech tree (next war) together with tech stagnation will allow us to have interesting advances for all the 300-400 turns of play.

*(ESA lost its launchpad in South America and Russia lost its in Kazakhstan so no Space flight, there has also been a major economic meltdown in Western Europe, basically they have the knowledge but not the resources kind of like SMAC, so don't be suprised if techs we really have are missing)

Comment

Well Rhye's map uses an oversized Europe, we could go with that. Personally I am fairly anal about accuracy and using the correct projections, but while distorted, Rhye's map is still pretty good.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

if you can really set this up then i'd like to join.

Comment

I said NEO-nazi wet dream.

I get the idea, it sounds promising, and I like that it will be short. And I wasn't trying to denigrate the game by calling it sci-fi, but anytime you use the next war mod it is technically a sci-fi game. The added premise of a mysterious disappearance of every other country but European ones is just the cherry on top.

One Love.

Comment

Working...
                              X