Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A History of the World XII" Planning/Sign-Up Thread...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suggest that we try and do another test with Pinchak and Heraclitus – we do not need the whole group to show up especially the people who came last Saturday. Maybe just 2 other me and someone else – but Pinchak and Heraclitus should be there 100%?

Or it’s little too late for this – now that the game starts in 3 1/2 days

Comment

• there should be no problem to throw you guys together one day for a testrun. I wouldn't mind joining in for myself to see if the OOS repeats itself.

ALSO!!! speaking of the OOS (Out Of Sync) issue related to events. Cybershy mentioned something about patching to 3.14, but I can't find any patch called 3.14....
      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• If there is a patch like that we should find it.

But to CS; what I meant was that we ourselves make our own accounts, but make them uniform (as far as their appearance, "Diplo_Tribe" was my example) and use the same passwords as our apolyton accounts. I am under the impression that we will use these same apolyton accounts in the future, so if we can use the same password for our MSN Diplo_Tribe names we can reuse the MSN names as well for future games.

So basically each person in the game would create an MSN account for their tribe. Use the same password CS provided us for our Apolyton log-ins because we will want to use both again. This way it will make it easier in case the game crashes or someone gets booted to talk to them without revealing their identities. Also in the future we won't have to continue to make new accounts for tribes that already exist.

So basically say your tribe is Sumeria, and your Apolyton diplo-account's password is "caporules." You would go create an MSN account "Diplo_Sumeria" with the password "caporules." That way in the future if someone else is Sumeria they would have both passwords and we don't have to create new ones each time (only when we get a new tribe).

If this works out, we can fine-tune this anonymous thing so you guys can make it work and prove me wrong.

What do you think?
        "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• One more thing if people want of course we should go ahead and ask Ozzy to post the terra map here when he is done (say Friday or early Sat). My idea is to have each one of us download is so we do not wait for 15 mins to download while we launch? If you remember last Sat during the test Deity started the ozzy earth map which took forever to load due to the downloading. This way we can start the game on time.

Savvy?

Comment

• Oh and who will be our host for the 1st session and hopefully for the whole game? (the guy with the most stable setup)

Comment

• And chairman you ok with starting the HOTW12 story thread so we can get some intro stories going

Comment

• @The Capo: yes, that's a great idea, if everybody wants to create an MSN name in the Diplo_Civname style.
                (and use the same passwords, for future use).

@LzPrst: it's best if you start the thread, so that you can edit the 1st post whenever you want. (to update vital information, ie.)
                It's ok if you do, just mention "Diplogame: History of the World XII - Story Thread" (or Organizational thread) so that the Admins know it's a diplo thread.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Yeah, but we should use the honor system and not take a sneak peak at the map. So everyone be on their best behavior.

As far as intro stories go, maybe we should wait until the day before or the day of the game to do that. This way there's going to be less conjecture as to who people are. You seem pretty anxious to start posting, as am I. So I was going to force myself to wait until closer to the session when I imagine most people are going to do their origin/introductionary story.

Now, the idea behind Terra, to me is pretty cool. The last game I was in we also used a Terra map and we had ten civilizations. Unfortunately in that game we lost two of the tribes (Mongolia's player didn't show up and they became AI, conquered by England. France was split between India, America, and Germany after their leader quit midway through the game). I've been playing Terra games with ten tribes in preparation and land becomes scarce very quickly. So hopefully this game will be really good with the full roster of players.

Some will run out of space quickly, and some will become dominant land powers. I'm really looking forward to how this dynamic works out.

Now despite my contention that the anonymous play idea won't work; I am trying my best to make it so, and I actually want it to work because my objection is not to the idea behind it, or the philosophy behind it, but my objection to it has always been its feasibility. I think if we can make it work here maybe in the future people will follow our lead.'

I think another thing that might be helpful, at least for the first session or two, would be to have an Ozzy or a Cybershy around to act as a moderator or "service tech" for the game to help us communicate if there are problems, or any other things we can come up with for the begining of the sessions.

Just in case.

Peace
                  "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• I'll be around anyway during the weeks
                    I can't be around during game time, maybe Ozzy can.

Comment

• Patch: 3.13
                      When I said 3.14, it was a mistake!

To avoid OOS errors during the game, everybody should make a clean install of the entire civilization game, and patch BtS to 3.13

(if you're in HOTW XI, then your install is clean enough already! The OOS problems most likely are caused by people who didn't play in HOTW XI during the 3.13 patch!)

(LzPrst, you most probably only played the unpatched BtS, you should do a clean install as well)

Don't ask WHY this fixes the problem, just be glad that it does fix the problem, since we didn't got an OOS in HOTW XI anymore after we all made a clean install!

CS

Comment

• I already have v3.13 installed. So does that mean I'm okay, or should I delete everything I have and re-install the entire Civ IV series?

Is that what you are suggesting?

One Love.

Comment

• Yes, delete everything, and make a total clean install.
                          Delete also your civ and BtS folders in "My Games"

If you have some important stuff there, just back it up somewhere else.

Comment

• Well Capo i don't think u need to reinstall - the person who was OOS was Lz so i guess he needs to reinstall the whole thing not you.

In HOTW11 there were 3 ppl who OOS - so only they reinstalled the game.

Comment

• Obviously that could be a way to deal with it as well, though if you experience problems during the 1st session, you wish that all would've done the reinstall, just to be sure.

Comment

• hi everyone. I have alot of reading to do!!!
                                I do not know how World War III will be fought, but i do know that World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Comment

Working...
                                X