No announcement yet.

Undocumented Warlords Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing, still, all the way from Civ3, the grid still does not stay put after loading...
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaybe
      couerdelion, assuming what we both say is true (re upgrades and documentation), then it just means that either:
      The change was made after the book went to press, or
      It was unintended (i.e., a bug).
      The annoying things is that the book refers to it in the “upgrades” section which is still technically true. However, if Warlords game does not have the possibility to upgrade then the claim that the units “NOW UPGRADE” is confusing at the least.

But I don’t really know why I care all that much since I’ve never played a game beyond the industrial age and will probably first play a few scenario games where the rules are strange anyway.

Comment

Circumnavigating the world seems to require a contiguous route now, not just overlapping of longitudinal exploration.
        Seems to have been wishful thinking on my part. Just confirmed that it's the same as it had been in vanilla.

Comment

Seems to have been wishful thinking on my part. Just confirmed that it's the same as it had been in vanilla.
          I have noticed you don't have to be the first anymore.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibsie

And only on the attack it would seem.
            That's the thing about barbarians. Too predictable. In my game they built massive armies of just axemen. A few chariots wiped them out before they could attack me.

The only reason on the attack is because of that annoying little "No defensive bonuses" crap.

Comment

Core game or scenario, & what bonus are you referring to? The only combat bonus vs. barbs I am aware of is for difficulty level, which ranges from 40% (at Settler) to 0% (Monarch).
              Well I don't know how the bonus was in vanilla, but I know that they now show you the bonus when you mouse over the barb unit in Warlords which is nice to have.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
                Well I don't know how the bonus was in vanilla, but I know that they now show you the bonus when you mouse over the barb unit in Warlords which is nice to have.
                Ahh. I never see that bonus. I edited them all to zero before I played my first Warlords game. I think they may have been in vanilla, but I haven't seen them in many months.

Comment

• Others have already mentioned that if you capture a worker, you are not able to move it in the same turn that you capture it.

I can confirm that this is true. But what I noticed recently is that the AI is not subject to the same restriction! The AI is still able to move workers in the same turn that they were captured.
                  In a minute there is time
                  For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                  - T. S. Eliot

Comment

• In my experience, the AI tends to immediatly disband workers it captures. I'll lose a worker in an opening move of war, have LOS to all places it could have gotten to in a single turn, and no Worker. This is true in both Vanilla and warlords.

Comment

• The AI also does not think when it comes to attacking humans, because they would gather huge scores of units into a massive army and begin an assault on a weakly guarded city.

But instead of going straight for the city, they have to pillage and destroy all of the improvements in the way first, even when they obviously will win and want to keep them intact so they don't have to remake them, and also since it takes them TWICE THE TIME TO GET TO THE CITY giving me TWICE THE TIME to build up a substantial defense.

Comment

• Oh, but if the AI were to discriminate and use different strategies against the PLAYER, there would be so many people screaming their heads off! You can't do that around here.

Comment

• The AI also does not think when it comes to attacking humans, because they would gather huge scores of units into a massive army and begin an assault on a weakly guarded city.

But instead of going straight for the city, they have to pillage and destroy all of the improvements in the way first, even when they obviously will win and want to keep them intact so they don't have to remake them, and also since it takes them TWICE THE TIME TO GET TO THE CITY giving me TWICE THE TIME to build up a substantial defense.
                          I have noticed this. Once the Romans attacked me. My first city was quickly taken before I could send troops. The next 2 cities that were to be attcked each got about 7 troops (most were offensive units) in one turn (modern times so troops moved quick). I had 9 troops in each of the two cities only 4 in each was defensive compared 15 all offensive units attacking the two cities. The Romans then went straight to pillaging. I was then able to get research techs for better troops and build up a stronger army.
                          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                          The video may avatar is from

Comment

• Originally posted by Prussia
                            The AI also does not think when it comes to attacking humans, because they would gather huge scores of units into a massive army and begin an assault on a weakly guarded city.

yeah. the AI does things like that a lot. It's almost as though the AI is assuming it's going to fail in the long run and so, it just wants to take you down with it... that is, if I assume it's thinking at all, which it isn't really. though I suspect the AI programmers have something like that in mind.... *sigh*
                            In a minute there is time
                            For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                            - T. S. Eliot

Comment

• Not to bump this unnecessarily, but a few more things I've noticed -- I belive they really are changes and not merely my poor memory, but your milage may vary
                              - Workboats can be set to Explore.
                              - The max number of Missionaries is now 3 per religion
                              - Caravels with units on can now enter closed foreign-civ borders
                              - Caravels do not get removed from foreign-civ borders when war is declared or borders are closed
                              - Caravels can no longer plunder fishing boats / whaling ships / etc
                              For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

• Yaga, since you have already bumped it ...
                                While I don't know about your workboat exploration,
                                I DO know that all your others are pre-Warlords, perhaps from out-of-the-box vanilla.

Pity you didn't realize them sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X