Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running a Athlon 2400+, gig of RAM, and nVidea 6200 (256 bit interface and 256 MB RAM though).

1.09 runs fine for me. I have nothing to complain about with regards to how well the game runs on this system.

I just wish it was easier to make a dual install...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
      "I am so upset with Civ 4 that if I had the money I would get a lawyer and take Firaxis to court."

This sentence alone indicates that the OP is plain crazy. Its only a damn computer game.
      I'm not crazy pal, your the one thats crazy if you like to pay for something that doesn't work.
      There are hundreds of people here that are upset and your not?
      The lawyer thing was an expression of outrage, and as for "just a damn computer game" that tells me you ain't a devoted gamer, so what are you here for? Jerk!!!
      To find is to seek and search

Comment

Originally posted by SKIPICUS
        The lawyer thing was an expression of outrage, and as for "just a damn computer game" that tells me you ain't a devoted gamer, so what are you here for? Jerk!!!
        Don't insult other members of the forum. Consider yourself warned.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

/me attempts to summon Ming

Comment

Originally posted by SKIPICUS

I'm not crazy pal, your the one thats crazy if you like to pay for something that doesn't work.
            There are hundreds of people here that are upset and your not?
            How about spending that money on a shrink instead of a lawyer.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

How about spending that money on a shrink instead of a lawyer.
              Or better yet, an English tutor.

I'm not crazy pal. (that is a complete sentence in and of itself. It ends with a period, not a comma.)

Your (Your 'your' is intended to be 'you are', which shortens to 'you're'.) the one thats (should be 'that's' as in 'that is') crazy if you like to pay for something that doesn't work.

There are hundreds of people here that are upset and your (ditto) not?
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

/me shoos beta away and continues attempting to summon Ming

Comment

*SIGHS*

I guess I am just not devoted enough as a gamer. CIV runs less than perfectly on my system as well, and yet, I feel no sense of outrage toward Firaxis, nor have I contemplated hiring a lawyer to begin a law suit.

I guess my practice of reading the forums for advice on making the game run better, trying things on my own, reporting obvious flaws if I sense they have not been reported already, and waiting for the next patch forever marks me as one who simply lacks devotion.

I do however spend a considerable time reading the forums here, and I do spend nearly every available spare moment at home actually playing the game, and I do thoroughly enjoy these activities. I guess that too marks me as an undevoted player since all of the devoted players are spending their time working themselves into a blather and surely not enjoying themselves.

Oh well. I wonder if I will survive somehow?

/sarcasm off

Comment

hahahaha omg.. come on! it IS in fact just a game and whats more: its more ur software than hardware thats stopping u from playing it. i mean.. when was the last time u reformatted? how much spyware do u have? how many programs run at start up such as ad-watch, msn and stuff? keep ur comp neat and it WILL play ALL games fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Russian_King
                      hahahaha omg.. come on! it IS in fact just a game and whats more: its more ur software than hardware thats stopping u from playing it. i mean.. when was the last time u reformatted? how much spyware do u have? how many programs run at start up such as ad-watch, msn and stuff? keep ur comp neat and it WILL play ALL games fine!
                      1. My hardware matches almost exactly the recommanded specs (slightly below)
                      2. I haven't formatted my hard drive for a long time but I defragment it regularly
                      3. I have no spyware. I use antivirus, antispyware and firewall programs to keep my comp safe.
                      4. I don't install all kind of garbage on my computer and in the rare ocasions when I do test an application, I use a registry cleaner to get rid of it.
                      5. I stop all running applications before I play civ, including those running in the background (like msn and "stuff")
                      6. I have no performance issues running any other application on my desktop

Despite all this, Civ4 crawls on my comp, especially in the late game. I play only on regular maps because I don't feel like reading a book between turns.

The fact that you have no problems running the game doesn't mean that all except you are stupid and have no idea how to use a computer.

I am not going to sue Firaxis (or Take2 actually) for falsely advertising the game requirments, but in fact they've done exactly that. How exactly are 512 MB of RAM the recommanded memory size when the game itself uses over 500 MB RAM ? I checked it myself while playing a standard game on a regular map. I cannot even imagine how can the game run at the minimum specs.

I was content with the game performance since my box is already 2 years old (aprox.) and I wasn't expecting more from it. However, as much as I like the game and respect Firaxis, the fact that an amateur enthusiast created a patch that helps the game run much faster, without crashes and slowdowns, leaves me puzzled on the quality of programming and testing done for this game (please note that I am talking about performance testing, not gameplay).
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

I concur,

I think that, empirically, it is hard to deny that the game has fundamental problems. Even on top of the line hardware with gigs of RAM the problems persist.

Comment

The problems really do seem oddly hit-or-miss. Some of us with older/weaker systems have very few issues (the wonder movies are choppy for me with 1.09, but that's really it), whilst others with more top of the line stuff are having CTDs and stuff.

I hope that the continued efforts of Firaxis and others trying to help can resolve people's problems.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Don't insult other members of the forum. Consider yourself warned.
                            Your right and I appreciate the correction and I do apologize to the member and this forum.
                            I just didn't appreciate being called crazy and so I used jerk in return, but the whole thing is childish and I am sorry.
                            When angry I speak before I think and this is something I must work on.
                            Great forum and good people on it and I am grateful for both.
                            Thanks

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

As for a shrink, I do go to a therapist to work on some issues and one being anger. Thanks for the suggestion though.
                                As for my writing and the way I talk, I can't change that cause thats the way I am; sorry. But someday I plan to go back to school to get my High School Diploma.
                                Well back to Civ 4 .
                                By the way Happy Holidays everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X