Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes - Happy Holidays to you too Skipicus! And my English grammar corrections were more tongue in cheek and intended to lighten the mood. Can't help it as my mother taught English grammar. No offense intended.

And Enigma - check the shooing, please and thank you.
    Last edited by Beta; December 12, 2005, 22:30.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

/me accepts Beta with open arms, and stops attempting to summon Ming
      Problem solved.

Comment

Beta, your o.k. Thanks for the reply.
        To find is to seek and search

Comment

C´mon guys, get a room already! There you can stroke each others...ehh...egos in privacy.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
            * Enigma_Nova accepts Beta with open arms, and stops attempting to summon Ming
            Problem solved.
            Thank you.

To add to the discussion regarding civ4: it runs OK on my machine, but it is a newer P4 with 1Gb of RAM. I did have to upgrade my video drivers, as I have a 128Mb ATI video card.

My biggest question is why did they bother with all the graphics stuff. This is a turn based strategy game; I can't speak for other TBS gamres, but I don't really care that much about the graphics. I care how the game plays; and the strength of the AI. And the one advantage of being a TBS gamer used to be that you did not have to have a state of the art box to run Doom3 or Half-Life at full capacity. You could get by with an older - and less expensive machine. So in the end, I question the wisdom of the graphics approach used on Civ4.

Besides - I find all the graphics stuff actually clutters up the map a bit too much for my liking.
            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
              C´mon guys, get a room already! There you can stroke each others...ehh...egos in privacy.
              If you want, you could join us.

Comment

Ooh, a multiplayer game.
                Dibs on Elizabeth!

Comment

Originally posted by Beta

If you want, you could join us.
                  I´ll think about it.
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Comment

Besides - I find all the graphics stuff actually clutters up the map a bit too much for my liking.
                      Agreed. And, to me, it's far too cartoonish. I want the graphics to look clean and feel, well, epic (as befits the game). CivIII with Snoopy's graphics mod, or the TAM mod graphics... that felt epic and it was uncluttered. Unfortunately, I think Firaxis was kinda in a Pirates! place when they were doing the CivIV graphics.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What an odd thread.
                        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Agreed. And, to me, it's far too cartoonish. I want the graphics to look clean and feel, well, epic (as befits the game). CivIII with Snoopy's graphics mod, or the TAM mod graphics... that felt epic and it was uncluttered. Unfortunately, I think Firaxis was kinda in a Pirates! place when they were doing the CivIV graphics.

-Arrian
                          Have you tried the BlueMarble graphic mod? I use it and the world looks much better imho. The map is still cluttered of course, but it doesn't look cartoonish anymore

PS It is also very easy to install and uninstall, if you don't like it.
                          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

If you claim for a second real patch before Christmas I am with you.

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Don't insult other members of the forum. Consider yourself warned.
                              should be directed to both parties, not just skipicus....
                              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I do not think the problems are "hit and miss" at all. I think the problems are based upon fundamental design flaws in the game that are not hardware related.

I think Harkonnen's (spelling) posts and patch pretty much some this up. Several other people and myself had postulated that the game had VERY POOR memory management and/or a memory leak. In particular loading the same item multiple times into RAM. Harkonnen pretty much stated this was true. I think he also stated there were memory leaks at one point in his thread at civfanatics didn't he?

I like Civilization a lot too, but I can't ignore the fact the game has obvious problems just because I'm a large fan. Quite frankly, my view of the game right now is somewhere between "it's okay" and "it sucks." It basically depends on how annoyed I am with the bugs at any given time. I am hoping we get more patches too soon. I also think that Harkonnen's plan to sell his patch to Firaxis isin't going to fly either. I wish him luck, as his patch rocks, but I think Firaxis is going to tell him no. Hopefully they are smart enough PR wise to give him something for it like.....free upgrades for life for all the civilization games, or a free copy of any game they make. Even if they don't. Realistically that would cost them nothing and look good.

I'm waiting to see what happens with another patch.

Comment

Working...
                                X