This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough is enough

I am so upset with Civ 4 that if I had the money I would get a lawyer and take Firaxis to court.
    They have falsely advertised the game with certain requirments to play it and you can't.
    Plus so many get extra stuff for their computers and it still won't work properly.
    Then people get all excited cause theres a patch so soon but there shouldn't even be one in the first place,
    plus the patch doesn't fix all anyways.
    Then theres those that write tons and tons of forum stuff on what to do or how to try and fix this or just posting all their problems with the game.
    I say put your foot down and tell it like it is, start writing letters to Firaxis and 2K and tell them you are very angry and totally upset and stop dancing with this thing and demand some results soon.
    This game is an outrage and has hurt and upset a lot of people and I think people ought to let the company know they are offended and hurt.
    And demand some results like a new patch that solves all and stop messing with peoples feelings.
    To find is to seek and search

There is a Major Memory issue in Civ IV. A fix has been produced that really does work. The thread is sprinting towards 32,000 hits at the time of this post - all in 4 Days!

Its not a dubious amateur hack. If you get CTDs - slow down - reboots - massive save files etc - go now to this thread, its put Firaxis to shame

Current version of the fix is not compatible with 1.52. It either does nothing or crashes. Update addressing this issue is on its way. The patch I was coding during last month is finally out. The patch is compatible with 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4. So, here we go. You will need 3...

Regards
    Zy

Comment

That number of views in such a short time does seem to imply that performance issues are a bit more widespread than some would have you believe.

I may give it a shot myself.
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

If the author's (of the fix I mean) negotiations with Firaxis go well enough, this fix will probably be incorporated in another patch anyway.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I started playing it with my old PC which didn´t even fit the minimum requirements (it was an AMD T-Bird 900 MHz, with a Geforce 2MX with 32 MB GraphicsMem) and I could play it (long before the first patch appeared).
          It was somehow slow later in the game (when the whole map was visible) but I could play it and I was able to end a gam,e on a large map. Upon switching off Wonder movies I didn´t even gewt any CTDs or BSODs anymore

With my new PC-System (AMD 3200+, ATi with 128 GraphMem) it runs even better.

So I think that your problems haven´t anything ton do with the spoecifications needed for the game, but rather with other things, like device drivers or else.

But I recommend, do as Zydor has said, install the mem fix supplied by Harkonnen. It makes the game much faster and causes it to use much less mem and (something I encountered) it causes the game to release the mem it has used much faster after you have exited the game and returned to desktop.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

"I am so upset with Civ 4 that if I had the money I would get a lawyer and take Firaxis to court."

This sentence alone indicates that the OP is plain crazy. Its only a damn computer game.

Comment

I'm personally a bit disapointed with Firaxis support. They didn't send me a new tech tree because I don't live in US or Canada. If I knew the Quality assurance would be that lousy I would have waited till the game came to Europe...

Comment

I have only minor (so far very minor) issues with Civ 4. Granted that I have a pretty decent setup with a P4 3.0 Ghz, GeForce 6600 and 1 Gb of RAM. But I could even play with my old comp with a P III 450 Mhz, GeForce4 MX 4000 and 320 Mb RAM (even if it was agonizingly slow).

But at the same time I seriously doubt that you can get the full potential of the game on even the recommended system specs. They seem a tad optimistic (to be polite).

I´m pretty sure the marketing department are to blame for this as higher specs would scare off potential customers. And the memory leak problem is just bad engineering, but releasing it like that is, again, probably thanks to the marketing department. Did anyone say Atari?
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The is always one...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

What, one that has no problems or one that has all the problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Zydor
                      There is a Major Memory issue in Civ IV. A fix has been produced that really does work. The thread is sprinting towards 32,000 hits at the time of this post - all in 4 Days!

Its not a dubious amateur hack. If you get CTDs - slow down - reboots - massive save files etc - go now to this thread, its put Firaxis to shame

Current version of the fix is not compatible with 1.52. It either does nothing or crashes. Update addressing this issue is on its way. The patch I was coding during last month is finally out. The patch is compatible with 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4. So, here we go. You will need 3...

Regards
                      Zy
                      My firewall at work has started blocking CifFanatics... is there a crosspost here?
                      Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

At least he's not complaining about his Gunship being Pikeman'd.

Comment

Nono, the gunship was knighted!
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Sir Gunship?

Comment

Comment

Working...