Skipping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
    I changed my audio settings from "Stereo" to "Use System Config" and it fixed my wonder movie skipping.
    Or not...it seems to have helped some, but it didn't fix the problem.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

i am having the skipping sound also, but i noticed something else too...i am running the game in window mode and i have windows media player playing mp3's...when i am in the game i get the 'normal' stuttering AND the mp3's skip in sync. if i tab out to another application the music stops skipping. In the game i turned all the audio off but i still get the skipping on the mp3's. maybe the issue is not the game interacting with the soundcard. i have been reading a lot of bug issues and it could be that the game is making hard disk access and the stuttering sound is a symptom of a different problem.

Comment

You people realize that the stereo setting you're all referring to is only in reference to the voice chat feature, yes? It has nothing to do with the game audio beyond this.

Comment

I guess we do now!

Comment

My problem is not skipping sound. It's just that when I select EAX2, EAX3, D3D Sound, 5.1, etc, the drum beat in the music becomes clicking sound on my headphone, but otherwise the sound becomes more rich than "stereo". However, when I switch to "stereo" or external decoder through optical line from my Audigy 2 NX, I hear correct drum beats. Just some minor problem for me. Maybe it's just because my headphone sucks.

Comment

Ok I think I have a fix for your sound problems (and mine). I had seen this before on other games using bink video. As before I downloaded the very small (and free) bink encoder. I am now able to play back the mini movies (encoded by bink) just fine.

RAD Game Tools' web page. RAD makes Bink Video, the Telemetry Performance Visualization System, and Oodle Data Compression - all popular video game middleware.

The above URL will get you the needed files. Run the setup and Enjoy!

Comment

Doesn't work.

The encoder doesn't recognize the movie file types used by Civ 4.

Unless you can provide more detailed information.

Comment

i can play back the movies fine in the standalone bink player. in the game though, it still skips

Comment

Yep, Damn... my bad.. I tried it out of the game and it works fine. In game I had to wait for another wonder and what do you know.. skip... skip.... !^*&(^

Comment

I am also having this problem with the intro and wonder movies whenever I have the resolution set higher than 1024x768.

*--System Specs--*
                      Processor: Pentium4 2.8 GHz
                      Memory: 1.5 GB RAM
                      Video Card: GeForce 6200 256MB Video RAM
                      Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital
                      O/S: WinXP SP2

All drivers up to date.

Comment

Same problem - Wonder movies skipping. No crash. Res at 1024 x 768.

Comment

Wonder movies sound skippage for me too...

Comment

Same here. And on my friend's computer, too. Both systems are high-end and are able to play at a high resolution with graphics settings maxed without issues (until the memory leak causes everything to slow down).

Comment

Ok for NFORCE Motherboard users give this a try (I am trying it now)

download this:

and install it. Then see if the movies skip after. Other Nforce users on another site posted this fix and it worked for them.

Comment

I have:

--P4 2.4 GHz
                                --1.0 GB RAM
                                --ASUS P4S800D-X mobo
                                --PCI SoundBlaster Live Value (no updates needed per Creative's Autoupdate site)
                                --XFX GeForce 6600GT 128 MB (updated to Forceware 81.85).

Have tried the various speaker options - am currently on "User System Config". No luck.

Any thoughts for me?

Comment

Working...
                                X