Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your criteria for including a civ in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, I don't understand why some people continue to claim that diversity in this case is a sell out to political correctness. I agree with Boris Godunov - if I were to play an Earth Map game, I don't want large stretches of empty territory. Diverse cultures, with better geographic distribution, city graphics, unit types etc. makes for more enjoyable gameplay, period. It shouldn't have anything to do with political correctness.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Seriously, I don't understand why some people continue to claim that diversity in this case is a sell out to political correctness. I agree with Boris Godunov - if I were to play an Earth Map game, I don't want large stretches of empty territory. Diverse cultures, with better geographic distribution, city graphics, unit types etc. makes for more enjoyable gameplay, period. It shouldn't have anything to do with political correctness.
      Now that is a valid point. Large expanses of empty territory on an earth map are indeed annoying. In civ2 i relocated the start positions on the large earth map to avoid just this.
      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Who cares?! Mod it!

Give me my damn game and let me play!!!

[/infant rant]
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Excuse me but calling the Dutch civ insignificant is really an insult
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Hey, I wanted Banana Republic to be included, but that was not an option
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Yeah, the Dutch were hardly insignificant. Way way more significant than the Incas.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

This poll has erroneus title and I feel fooled by it and angry on it's starter.

With option set like this it should be called "Which countries you want in" (as it's pretty obvious which ones stand behind most of the options), not "What are your criteria for including a civ in the game?".

An example of criteria would be:

1.cultural achievements (great wonders built, cultural influence)
                  2.military achievements
                  3.etc achievements
                  4.longevity
                  5.etc

And a +1 here is the only pleasure I get from looking at this useless trigger for more flaming on civilisation importance.
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

There are far too many civs who made a significant contribution to world history to be able to name a number of them small enough to fit the list. So I'm going to have to go with Option 7.

I find Civ to be a bit of a learning experience. I wouldn't have known as much about the Sioux, Zulu, Iroquois, etc. if they didn't appear in this series, as I took their presence as encouragement to research and read about them. I'm looking forward to learning more about Mali.

And anyway, if I don't like the list of civs, then its a simple matter of modding them out and replacing them with different types depending on my mood. Sometimes, I might occasionally include the Australians (not that I'm patriotic, its just that sometimes I want to play as a civ I can relate to on a role-playing level). Did it once with Civ III, and I easily imagine having a crack at it this time around too.
                      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                        Excuse me but calling the Dutch civ insignificant is really an insult

Any civilization that can produce the V.O.C., defeat the tercios, produce De Stijl, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Maurice of Nassau, Mondrian and Spinoza can take an insult like that in its stride and still serve up a rijstafel with a coffee and speculaas to follow.

The Dutch:

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I say, LET LATVIANS IN!
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

With me as the leader .
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                              This poll has erroneus title and I feel fooled by it and angry on it's starter.
                              So maybe I should have rephrased it "What types of civs fit the criteria ... etc."

Don't feel fooled or angry, I was just typing in response to the point that many people are split on the civ issue.
                              The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Theoreticaly how many Aditional Civs could be moded in?

Currently from what I have read its possible to play a game with players equal to the number of Civs the game will ship with. But could that number be incressed? With Huge maps and Simultanious turns having 40 players in a game might actualy be possible

If thats the case we would NEED to have all kinds of minor Civs and the desisions will be based on what the hordes of Artists and Moders want to see.

Another point, from what I can tell the "Civs" realy amount to "City Graphic Sets" along with thouse Native language files for your units. The Leader is supposed to hold all the unique abilities of your Civ and give it uniqueness for play. I suspect most moding will actualy revolved around creating additional leaders. Ofcorse these leaders should be more then just new artwork slaped on old sets of bonuses. So we will have a theoretical limiting factor based on how many meanigfull and balanced combinations exists.
                                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X