Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your criteria for including a civ in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The danes on Poly still thinks it´s 1520
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

What are your criteria for including a civ in the game?

they must be celtic!

Originally posted by Yarco_TW
      So, my attributes of state are taxes, .., etc.
      woohoo! so the kooris make the cut!
      (well they do have strong policies about sharing a 'roo by the fire)
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

IKEA, Volvo, SAAB, Scania, Ericsson, The Nobel Prize, ABBA, a ****load of really good metal, etc, etc...

And the danes have what? Tuborg, Carlsberg and Kim Larsen?

You were saying...?

The worst band ever!!!
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Given that the name of the game is "civilization", anyone who ever built cities would fit into that category, would they not?

So, whatever the designers pick. I don;t like the fact that as graphics get fancier, moding them becomes much harder.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
            IKEA, Volvo, SAAB, Scania, Ericsson, The Nobel Prize, ABBA, a ****load of really good metal, etc, etc...

And the danes have what? Tuborg, Carlsberg and Kim Larsen?

You were saying...?
            Perhaps the oldest still existing monarchy in Europe?

Again someone failing to see past glory.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

And Hans Christian Andersen, Nielsen and Hammershoi and Asger Jorn.

Vilhelm Hammershoi [Danish Painter, 1864-1916] Guide to pictures of works by Vilhelm Hammershoi in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.

Cheery Danish paintings:
              Attached Files
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

What have I done...?
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                  What have I done...?

In future you should be Ibscene and not heard.

Or move to Kielland.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Yarco, man your point system is all but f*cked up. It's totally subjective. Having a 5 for Incan and Indonesian civilization is... totally subjective. Just like saying +1 criteria for contributing wonders to the world ... To me it leaves out Indonesia and the Incas and the Aztecs and the Zulus... It leaves out every civilization outside Europe excluding China and Japan. Especially if you put Portugal at 0 in this criteria...
                    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                      What have I done...?
                      You forked it!
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Oh, no! Not here too!
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I like to play World Maps as large as possible with as many civs as possible. I'll be borrowing (okay stealing) created work from all of the talented mod-makers. Theoretically I'd like to know the max civ numbers too - I don't care about the lag between turns one little bit.

So therefore I would like to see 50+ civs for my own game.

The thing is that you might argue that some civs didn't have an impact throughout history or you can't make the Romans become modern Italians in modern times becuase they are ethnically and culturally distinct (though heavily influenced by Roman culture in the Renaissance), but that is fine for your own civ game.

I will play as the Celts, even though people say "Oh its not a civ, its a culture group". Fine - don't have them in your games whether they come with an expansion or not. But I'll never understand these exclusionists - as I call them because they don't like it, it means no one else should have it either.

Firaxians - I say the more civs you can pack into an expansion box with quality leaderheads and sounds and all the small touches, the better!

Comment

The game should have the civ(s) you actually want to play so you can identify with who you are leading. But ALL the civs are going to take very unhistorical paths the vast majority of the time so the names are virtually meaningless.

I say we should be able to CHANGE the NAME of the civ while within the game, just like we can with cities! (well, not to be taken TOO seriously)

EDIT: After reading only the first couple paragraphs of the referenced Iroquois Culture web site, I must say EVERYONE should be in the game just to spark interest in the particular civ. Interesting reading!
                            Last edited by Jaybe; September 14, 2005, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Niptium
                              Yarco, man your point system is all but f*cked up. It's totally subjective. Having a 5 for Incan and Indonesian civilization is... totally subjective. Just like saying +1 criteria for contributing wonders to the world ... To me it leaves out Indonesia and the Incas and the Aztecs and the Zulus... It leaves out every civilization outside Europe excluding China and Japan. Especially if you put Portugal at 0 in this criteria...
                              Well, they are subjective. Please propose obective ones!

The criteria are for discussion purpose only. Still, they are relevant. Imagine Civ 3 without Egyptians (criteria = Pyramids), or the old question of Iroquois UU (no horses in America, Iroquois never had mounted braves, but for some reason the have them in Civ 3. The reason - no good UU.

And well, length of stay in civilised life is as well important.

Comment

I am not too bothered which civs are in. That said, it would seem daft if England, France or Rome were left out. I think civ selection will have a western bias simply most of the people who will buy the game are Westerners and will expect to see some familiar civs in the game (eg. the biggest game market will want America in). Frankly, I couldn't give a damn whether China and India were in or left out.

Some of the smaller civs such as Portugal and Holland made a very big impact on the world and are serious contenders for a spot on the "civ list".

Comment

Working...
                                X