Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your criteria for including a civ in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

I had to keep the list short- after all didn't want to take up several pages worth of space with all the wonderful things the Dutch have produced.

I still have blissful memories of the great Vermeer exhibition at the Mauritshuis years ago.
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I had to keep the list short- after all didn't want to take up several pages worth of space with all the wonderful things the Dutch have produced.

I still have blissful memories of the great Vermeer exhibition at the Mauritshuis years ago.
      Nice drawing... Is it yours?
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro

Nice drawing... Is it yours?
        Alas, no.

It's from here:

Vermeer:
        Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          I'd like to be the leader of the Vikings then.(Vikings, not that horrible and unhistoric "Scandinavian" civ bullshiit... )
          Nah, Scandinavian is better because it includes the post-viking ara as well. Also, the leader should be a famous Scandinavian monarch (like Gustavus Adolphus, St. Olaf, or Canute), not some obscure petty warlord like in Civ3.

Comment

If there should be one late medieval scandinavian monarch it should be Gustav Vasa. He united the country and was the founder of modern Sweden. If it hadn´t been for Gustav Vasa Gustav II Adolf wouldn´t have had an empire to build.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

GO Latvia!!
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Nah, Scandinavian is better because it includes the post-viking ara as well. Also, the leader should be a famous Scandinavian monarch (like Gustavus Adolphus, St. Olaf, or Canute), not some obscure petty warlord like in Civ3.

Except 'Scandinavian' is bland- Viking at least commemorates the waves of migration, conquest and the great trade routes that stretched from Baku to L'Anse aux Meadows and doesn't sound like stripped pine modular furniture.

Adolphus was king of Sweden- a Sweden which fought against Denmark in the Kalmar War. Useful as a leader in a Thirty Years' War scenario, but not for the Vikings.

With the term Viking you also get to include the kingdoms in Ireland and England and Man, the early duchy of Normandy, the settlements in Iceland and Greenland too, and Oleg in Kiev. It's a general term but it suits the wider arena of the Viking experience.

Go Vikings.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yep.

Vermeer is one of my "Three Masters" (Rembrandt and Velazquez are the others ). I did a series of paintings based in famous masterpieces (pastiches), for a satiric magazine in Brazil called "Bundas" (what means "A$$" ), where the persons in the picture were replaced by caricatures (politicians, etc). I was just preparing myself to start a Vermeer when the magazine closed its doors. It was shame.

Yes, Thanks to the Dutch. Painters, businessmen, Science, my own country (Mauricio de Nassau!!)... We have a lot to be thankful for.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas

Comment

Originally posted by Aro

I did a series of paintings based in famous masterpieces (pastiches), for a satiric magazine in Brazil called "Bundas" (what means "A$$" ), where the persons in the picture were replaced by caricatures (politicians, etc). I was just preparing myself to start a Vermeer when the magazine closed its doors. It was shame.

I liked the card I saw which had Mrs Rothko cleaning the carpet- which was of course a large Rothko colour field painting....

If it is tempting to speculate about what Mrs Whistler might be seeing, the invitation to guess what she might be thinking has proved irresistible. The early reading of the sitter's character as typically Protestant and puritanical has paved the way for recent lampoons in which her prudishness is only skin deep. "Come on, sonny boy, this picture would be a lot more interesting if I posed in the nude!" she quips in a postcard of the 1980s, while a recent internet image, entitled Whistler's Overbearing Mother: Derangement in Grey and Black, shows a grim Mrs Whistler holding a whip. Other images show her smoking a cigarette, blowing a party horn, or stripping down to her lacy undies in a card that suggests: "It's your birthday. Don't just sit there! Show 'em stuff!" Her very immobility, it seems, is provocative; we feel compelled to help Whistler's Mother loosen up, as well as stand up and stretch her legs occasionally.

Such eminent personalities as Donald Duck, Bullwinkle the Moose, Wile E Coyote, the Animaniacs, the Muppets and Barbie have struck the upright pose made famous by Mrs Whistler. Although these are characters created for children, the superimposition of Whistler's Mother is clearly meant to appeal to adults, providing the kind of inside joke that children's programming employs to keep parents watching.
                    Whistler's been dead for 100 years. But his mother lives on - thanks to Barbie, Bullwinkle and Mr Bean. Martha Tedeschi on the making of an icon.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I liked the card I saw which had Mrs Rothko cleaning the carpet- which was of course a large Rothko colour field painting....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/featu...965457,00.html

Funny link.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

...says the guy who is from the US. You must understand that making a civ that is called "Scandinavian", a name of a region and totally wrong to use for a civ in every way, is not preferable. It's like making a civ called Western Europe really. Viking OTOH, may not represent more than one time period, but at least it represent a time period, contrary to this "Scandinavian" civ. Actually, if we should scrap the Viking name, I'd much rather have Sweden as a civ(me being a Norwegian that is saying a lot...), as Sweden was the power in the Nordic region that was most influential after the Viking age.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                          Actually, if we should scrap the Viking name, I'd much rather have Sweden as a civ(me being a Norwegian that is saying a lot...), as Sweden was the power in the Nordic region that was most influential after the Viking age.
                          Tell that to the Danes.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Oh, those two countries has been after each other for ages. It's time some independent and objective people tells them the truth(tm).
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

Tell that to the Danes.
                              IKEA, Volvo, SAAB, Scania, Ericsson, The Nobel Prize, ABBA, a ****load of really good metal, etc, etc...

And the danes have what? Tuborg, Carlsberg and Kim Larsen?

You were saying...?
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

That's the spirit! Give them in!

Comment

Working...
                                X