New Release date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberShy
    Remember that even with a fairly easy game as chess it's barely possible to build a computer that can beat a human player.
    That is a double-edged sword, though. Chess is simple, therefore all decisions matter a lot. On the other hand, small mistakes can be overcome in games like Civ, if the overall strategy is good. Note that the AI is already considerably better in Civ3 than it was in previous games.

Not perfect, but at least somewhat challenging at the "even" (no bonuses to the human nor to the AI) Regent level. This seems weird, but the complexity of the game actually allows rather simple algorithms (like: build many Settlers fast) to work. So, since the graphics will be crappy and music non-existent , I think the AI can and will be fine-tuned to challenge the player.

The next step would be to make the AI learn, but I think we will have to wait for Civ5 (or SMAC 2 ) for that to happen.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
      My guess is the publishing people will aim for the xmas release...That makes sense.

No, no. Definitely released after blitzball season. Nobody will care about Civ4 while the Luca Goers are still playing for the cup.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
        No, no. Definitely released after blitzball season. Nobody will care about Civ4 while the Luca Goers are still playing for the cup.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
          Normally I consider it arrogant when people quote themselves, but in this case I'll make an exception
          Didn't he say that it was an email from the publisher?

I would like to be on that list.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dear EBgames.com Customer,

Thanks for pre-ordering from EBgames.com! As an added benefit to ordering from us, we’ll keep you informed of ship date changes. We are writing to let you know that we have changed the projected ship date for Civilization IV PC to 11/1/2005. The publisher did not provide us with a specific date so this is our best estimate only and should not be considered firm. We will update this date again as we receive new information. As always, EBgames.com will not charge your credit card until we ship your order.

To check the status of your order, please visit https://www.ebgames.com/ebx/myaccoun...us/default.asp

If you need further assistance, you can reply to this e-mail or give us a call at 1-877-432-9675 (internationally at 1-702-614-1570). We're here seven days a week from 8:00 AM to Midnight (EST).

Thank you for choosing EBgames.com.

Best Regards,

EBgames.com Customer Service Team

About release dates:

EBgames.com works tirelessly with game publishers to ensure accurate release dates on our site. Occasionally, publishers decide to delay production to improve quality or add new features. Sometimes dates move forward; more often they move back and frequently they get changed more than once.

If a game is scheduled for release far in the future, the publisher may not even give us a date. In those cases we rely on the collective wisdom of our buying staff to estimate a date based on their knowledge of the industry and the publisher's history.

We guarantee that we will always post the best information provided by publishers. We know that you want that hot new game yesterday and we want to be the company that gets it to you quicker than anyone else.
            Here is what I received.

Comment

Oh. So it wasn't from 2K. Oh well.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

In those cases we rely on the collective wisdom of our buying staff to estimate a date based on their knowledge of the industry and the publisher's history.
                Insert your own release date joke below.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

i hope it comes out after christmas, thatll make the game about 10 times better, cause before christmas and you know theyll be rushing it....

Comment

Originally posted by Footballgod128
                    i hope it comes out after christmas, thatll make the game about 10 times better, cause before christmas and you know theyll be rushing it....
                    Yeah but they have us expecting to receive about 3 patches, so part of the project planning was to leave some of the actual development to be included as "enhancements" in patches..

Comment

I think DrSpike should run one of his contests to guess the date. "When will Civ4 be released?"

Paging DrSpike, paging DrSpike, to the Civ4 List Forum -- STAT.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

/me appears.

I think that would be a great idea Shogun. I'll PM MarkG to see if we can get a 'Poly t-shirt or something as a prize.

Comment

Great, when we start picking release dates, I'll select the Friday immediately following Thanksgiving, Nov 25, 2005.

Wow, DrSpike, you are omni-present -- just like a Diety
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

November 11th
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              November 11th
                              2006. And no patches, please.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Just to clarify, exact dates will be required.

Comment

Working...
                                X