Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update! Version 0.42!

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

I'd like a refrence point. Does anyone know how many tiles horizontal and vertical are in large maps using unmodded Civ4?

Edit: Answered my own question by yr nifty tool of automatically setting it. Appologies.

As well for terrain what do the numbers mean? for icecap, is that how many tiles are part of the ice cap? another example, forests...what does say 3 mean? 3 forests per forest grouped together? So in other words 3 tiles of forest surrounded by non forest? i'm a bit confused here. Especially since upon loading atlas intially tundra is at 25 while the rest is so low.

As well, resource abundance what does that number mean? Also does the the land/goodie hut ratio means 1 hut per the number of land tiles speccified?

I hope my questions aren't annoying.

Comment

Of course your questions aren't annoying! Questions are helpful! They help me to find where pieces of information/documentation are missing. And I think that you can't just dump a program online and leave it as is... A good developer provides documentation and support, and is available for feedback.

Anyway, the answers to your questions can be found in my Recommended Settings Guide. It's part of the extended manual on http://atlas.junuxx.net

I think I should try to standardize all values to a 0-100 range some day..

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Junuxx
          That's a big part of what's holding up the next release of WorldPainter. I was trying to find a scale that fit with most if not all the settings and it's proven more difficult than I want it to be.

Quite a bit fit's into that well at first but the farther you push it the messier it gets. Now I'm stuck doing it out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

That and getting resources onto the correct tiles is proving a pain. Well, the way I'm doing it it's proving to be a pain.

Tom P.

Comment

Of course your questions aren't annoying! Questions are helpful! They help me to find where pieces of information/documentation are missing. And I think that you can't just dump a program online and leave it as is... A good developer provides documentation and support, and is available for feedback.

Anyway, the answers to your questions can be found in my Recommended Settings Guide. It's part of the extended manual on http://atlas.junuxx.net

DOH! I should have noticed the link in the programs window for atlas...thanks for the link. So far i've been decently succesful at figuring it out and generating maps. Still having problems generating large continents not connected to each other by land. Usually i'm getting pangea type maps. One solid land mass or two. IAny suggestions for the world settings? Also it seems sources of fresh water appear less than they do using the Civ4 random map generator. Is that still in the works? Er, regardless its still quite useful and a great work in progress. Thanks muchly for putting in the time to create it.

Edit:Oh, also, is Random Seed for Civ4 or your mod? Can't find my bloody Civ4 manual. What does it mean if you could spare the time to inform?

Comment

Random seed came with the 1.52 patch. If checked, you get different battle outcomes and such after reloading a game. Many consider it cheating, so it is off by default.

Comment

Random seed came with the 1.52 patch. If checked, you get different battle outcomes and such after reloading a game. Many consider it cheating, so it is off by default.
                Thank you kindly for response.

Comment

@Firewalkswithme:
                  Was in a bit of a hurry when writing that last answer... went to a Reel Big Fish gig last night :thumbsup:

Anyway, the new river model I am working on gives much better results, with nicer rivers and more inland lakes. I am still trying to think of a good method to check for pangaea-ness and noncircumnavigability (what a word :| ). Check for it or prevent it, either would be an improvement, but it's harder than it looks.

By the way, I have also started completely redesigning the program because I am more and more often getting constrained by the interface and design decisions I made long ago. Now I know why all those programming books stress the importance of the conceptual design stage so much

@padillah:
                  If you're stuck with something, feel free to send me an email, I might be able to help.
                  Last edited by Junuxx; February 2, 2006, 22:36.

Comment

By the way, I have also started completely redesigning the program because I am more and more often getting constrained by the interface and design decisions I made long ago. Now I now why all those programming books stress the importance of the conceptual design stage so much

@padillah:
                    If you're stuck with something, feel free to send me an email, I might be able to help.
                    Not so much "stuck" as unable to make the headway I want.

I'm stuck behind design decisions as well - but I knew I was going to have them when I made the design. My first real boss really drove home the datamodel /design phase when I was first starting out and it has stuck with me ever since.

I was writting a program to track the CD's I have and when I loan them to people (I have over 1500 so I NEED a program for this)... but I got hung-up datamodeling albums and artists and songs and so much more... and it's all his fault!

Now I can't write anything without a design first. This is the part that bugs me is I can't really hash out some of the decisions because I'm the only one working on it.

Well, I've got the load working - you can not only save a map from WP but load one in and edit it as well.

I've got resources but they are just willy nilly over the map. I've also got a much better way to generate the land. I've got some tweaking to do and some data-lookups for the resouces and I'll release.

Another week or two, depending on work.

Tom P.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
                      By the way, have you seen the latest Atlas version? What do you think of it?

Junuxx

Comment

I think it's great. Atlas has been my benchmark from the beginning. I've been looking to each version as sort of my own "to-do" list. If it's in Atlas then I want to add it to WP.

But that means I have a lot of catching up to do.

Tom P.
                        Last edited by padillah; February 3, 2006, 13:01.

Comment

Looks very exciting - I'll give it a go!

\Skodkim

Comment

Arrrrgh!! I got resourses working in WP(well, I might add). But I left the thumbdrive AT WORK!!!

Unless I go get it (I work 45 min. from my house) I won't be able to upload the most recent version of WorldPainter.

Crap.

Tom P.

Comment

It does NOT work.
                              Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you

Comment

Originally posted by Era Vulgaris
                                It does NOT work.
                                WHAT does not work? WorldPainter? Atlas? Resources in Atlas? Rivers in Atlas? Resources in WP?

WHAT?

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                                X