No announcement yet.

[Utility] Atlas Map Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will check (right now I'm downloading the patch), maybe the Java BufferedImage has a bottom left co-ordinate system. You may have lucked out.

Tom P.

Comment

I checked and... you did.

Lucked out big time. Me, I have to flip my maps on the Y-Axis or they show up upside-down.

Well, at least I caught it before too long. I've got a little more testing and the next version will be out.

Tom P.

Comment

I didn't luck out, I had to fix it too
        I'm looking forward to seeing the new WorldPainter

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

What about rivers?

Hi Junuxx,
          Still playing the game with your map. Takes a while, cause I selected the largest size my system can handle, otherwise the game crashes with too large a map.
          Would like to remind on rivers. Wouldn't mind that much if it wasn't for the big importance of sweet water in the game, especially for building farms in the early game.
          Is there any chance for including them in the upcoming version.
          If there is an upcoming version.
          Very much hope so.

Comment

Up, up, up, she goes!

Version 0.36 has just been released and I think it got some neat improvements. See the first post for a change log et cetera.

Have fun,
            Junuxx

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Good :-). I was thinking yesterday that it was long time ago I saw any life signs from you.

Comment

now all you need is a way to make it so u can generate maps u can not see at the start!(ie-when u make them)

Comment

@Zuul:
                  Thanks!

@FireWalkWithMe:

That's already included. Look at the Misc tab, there you'll find a toggle that says 'Show preview'.

Comment

Must-see changes in the new version! Rivers, and greatly improved continent shapes.

Comment

Arrrghh! I'm trying to get a couple things off my plate so I can do some dev but it just keeps piling up.

I've got Deserts and Jungle and Forest now. So I all I need is resources and rivers and I'll be done with the standard stuff.

On an Atlas note: I kinda liked the blobs, gave it more of a continent feel. Most land masses are blobs of dirt pushed up, or spewed up, form the ocean floor. I'm working on (in the back of my head) a different way altogether of generating the land masses. I have no idea how it's gonna work but it'll be different.

I may try and find a way to externalize the land generation like you said. I don't know how to do that for multiple languages but I can do it for .NET and publish a few different builders to choose from.

Tom P.

Comment

I was sure someone would prefer blobs over more irregular shapes. That's why it's still an option
                        But if you want more 'continental' continents, you can still crank up the continent size. I like to have peninsulas and bays and the like. I think that they look nicer, are more fun to explore, and give better strategy playing.

About the external land generation: I think you could make an application that saves a plain text file with the 'map'. If we do it that way, both Atlas and Worldpainter could call on the land generation program, and then access the text file to continue.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, pass in a filename and out comes a "BeginMap/EndMap".

I've gotta work more on catching up to you than anything else. I've also gotta distinguish WorldPainter from Atlas so we're not just doing the same thing.

Tom P.

Comment

Version 0.41 is out, it has an important bug-fix!
                            0.40 crashes occasionnally.

Get in on the civFanatics thread,
                            Welcome to the Atlas Project! Current Version: 0.43 (1 Feb '06) You might want to check out the Atlas Project's Homepage for some extra screenshots, a complete changelog and documentation. Atlas is a Java program written by me that is intended as a Map Generator for Civ 4. It will...

Comment

I've checked this utility and understand what it's for, but I wonder a bit. It seems to me that most settings could be done in-game with a .py map script, which would avoid seeing the map if one doesn't want and be easier to read than the bitmap?
                              I do not get exactly how your map generation works. In particular, mountain generation?
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

@LDiCesare:

Of course, the same results could be reached with a python script, but it would be troublesome to include all the options. Both the amount of controls and the number of options for many of the controls (like any integer between 1 and 400 for size) would be difficult to implement.
                                You can also avoid seeing the map in Atlas (you can turn of 'show preview' if you want to), however, I think a lot of people actually like to see what kind of map they'll get. The time needed to start Civ, the memory it uses and its style and layout were also limiting me. I therefore decided to make it stand alone

Currently, mountain generation is something like this: If a tile is a hill and it's adjacent to at least x hills, there's a chance of y% that it changes in a mountain. I need to work on it a bit, though. I really like your tectonics script

Comment

Working...
                                X