Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Junuxx
    @padillah:
    I used this tutorial on the WBS files by Dale.
    I don't know where to find all these routines you mention, that's one of the reasons why I wrote a stand-alone app instead of a mod or script using Civ's python stuff.
    Thanks!

I didn't even realise they were text files.

Well, you up for a little freindly competition? I need something to do to "cut my teeth" on VS 2005 so I'm gonna try this.

You have such a huge jump on me I'll never catch you anyway...

That, and I have very little time to work on this... but I can dream, can't I?

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Junuxx you can already set how much coast there should be (coastal waters in the World tab)
      There is little difference in the different settings of this one. Almost always just 1 tile thick (with some places that have 2), but almost never 3 or more, or 0. And almost never are islands connected with a long coast.

Comment

*bumps because of new version*
        Lots of changes and fixes, see the website for a complete changelog.

@padillah:
        And? Have you started yet? A bit of friendly competition sounds fine, but I think you need to catch up over 300 hours of work..

@Zuul:
        You were right. I changed the way the coastal waters settings works and added the settings ' very calm ' and ' very wild'

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Nice work :-). I really like that you listen to my ideas :-). Noticed a bug: not showing terrain still shows terrain under forrest jungle if you also doesn't show them.

Nice info screen. I guess you will add more info on it like peak percentage and resource plots.

The costal waters works much better now, especially varied mode. Even though a ultra/super/mega (or some other power word ) of calm/wild would be nice to have in (and maybe very varied). I guess trying to have many connected islands with coast will be too hard, too many calculations. But adding shallow underwater islands could be nice.

Maybe add some whide and thin standard sizes.

Add at least a x2 size on all plots (else titan and such shows too small plots).

Show hid icecaps/goodie huts.

Again, nice work.

Comment

*bumps because of new version*
            Lots of changes and fixes, see the website for a complete changelog.

@padillah:
            And? Have you started yet? A bit of friendly competition sounds fine, but I think you need to catch up over 300 hours of work..
            Tell me about it! Do you mind if I steal your idea of placing a starting point and growing the land from there? (I liked some of the cellular automita stuff I found in your links.)

I've been trying to build a "neural" decision tree that learns chess so I've got a leg up as far as understanding it... now I just need 300 hours of free time.

I've got some ideas on how I can use the "bitboard" concept from chess to help with some of the ploting...

I think I'll turn off some of the "new" features and release a version that at least works ( One of my biggest downfalls is I work on stuff but never release it 'cause it's never "done". My own personal "scope creep hell")

Gotta get the actual save part to work and (like your first one) resources aren't ready yet (gotta get on those bitboards). But it will make a barren map.

Tom P.
            I also need a cool splash screen like you have... and a name, I really need a name. You took the real good one.

Comment

@Zuul:
              Yes, I really appreciate constructive input. Quite a lot of user suggestions have been included already.

When I added the info tab I was a bit out of ideas, but yeah, the intention is to fill the screen with more useful things.

I was hoping to find something on average memory usage per (land) plot in the later game. If so Atlas could warn people if they are trying to make to big a map.

@padillah,

Do I understand it correctly that what you have now is continent generation and file saving?
              I was thinking.. You could also just make a sophisticated continent generator and let me integrate it with Atlas. That's more or less what Impaler is working on, too.
              Then we could add an option where the user selects a continents algorithm: Junuxx's, Impaler's or Padillah's.

I think that, from the user's point of view, that's the best thing to do. And we can still have our little competition

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Junuxx I was hoping to find something on average memory usage per (land) plot in the later game. If so Atlas could warn people if they are trying to make to big a map.
                You should check out the optimized memory usage if you havent. So you don't set the warning to low .
                Current version of the fix is not compatible with 1.52. It either does nothing or crashes. Update addressing this issue is on its way. The patch I was coding during last month is finally out. The patch is compatible with 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4. So, here we go. You will need 3...
                Last edited by Zuul; December 10, 2005, 06:53.

Comment

@Zuul:
                  I was hoping to find something on average memory usage per (land) plot in the later game. If so Atlas could warn people if they are trying to make to big a map.
                  From an in game point of view that's a good idea. I was doing some math regarding my bitboard idea and found out C# doesn't have a bit data type and I can't use a BitArray because it's only one dimensional (unless a write a special class... and there's the scope creep again). So I am going to have to waste space with a byte array - so how much space are we talking? Well, using your "Impossible" size (and 45 terrasin types and resources) it comes out to:

((W * H) * # of bitboards) /1024 = #kbytes
                  ((256 * 160) * 45)/1024
                  (40960 * 45)/1024
                  1843200 / 1024 = 1800k or 1.8 Meg

2Meg of data, tops. Not too bad.

@padillah,

Do I understand it correctly that what you have now is continent generation and file saving?
                  Close. I have the content generation designed but it only does TERRAIN_GRASS right now. I have a new thread trying to figure out if you can add terrain types. I don't think you can because there's nothing to indicate how that terrain interacts with other terrain, like TERRAIN_GRASS near TERRAIN_SNOW changes to TERRAIN_TUNDRA (something I myself have to figure out as well). And the save doesn't work 'cause I was going to try and use the ISerializable interface but I can't figure it out so unless I can find a better example I'm gonna do it by hand. (Like I said, this is a learning experience for me.)

I was thinking.. You could also just make a sophisticated continent generator and let me integrate it with Atlas. That's more or less what Impaler is working on, too.
                  Then we could add an option where the user selects a continents algorithm: Junuxx's, Impaler's or Padillah's.

I think that, from the user's point of view, that's the best thing to do. And we can still have our little competition
                  Sounds like a good idea but we'd have to come up with a standardized interface. And how do you call a .NET assembly from java? Or vice versa? I'm sure I could just re-write the content generator but then I'd have two sources to keep in sync.

But I'm not agains't trying. Who's going to make the bitmap? I would think that's the UI's job, this way the display of the map stay's the same no matter which generator made it. Then we can standardise the parameters and the return value. Let me know what you think.

Tom P.

Comment

@Zuul:
                    I'm not too sure about that. Although it might be a useful fix, I think I'll keep to the Firaxis software. The next patch will probably include a fix like this one, I guess.

@padillah:

That compilation is the stack size of the map generator, isn't it? I actually meant more of the mem usage while playing.

Close. I have the content generation designed but it only does TERRAIN_GRASS right now.
                    Yeah, that was what I assumed.

Sounds like a good idea but we'd have to come up with a standardized interface. And how do you call a .NET assembly from java? Or vice versa? I'm sure I could just re-write the content generator but then I'd have two sources to keep in sync.

But I'm not agains't trying. Who's going to make the bitmap? I would think that's the UI's job, this way the display of the map stay's the same no matter which generator made it. Then we can standardise the parameters and the return value. Let me know what you think.
                    Well, we could use the existing Atlas UI, and make it call to either your .NET file or my java class, passing the parameters via a config file. I don't think calling it is a problem. Does .NET compile to an exe file?

I have some experience with multi-language projects. One chessbot I worked on used C++, Java, Prolog, Pascal and Python

Comment

@padillah:

That compilation is the stack size of the map generator, isn't it? I actually meant more of the mem usage while playing.
                      Yeah, that's just the map generator that I am making. The CIV prog must keep track of many moe things than that to be any good. What teams have seen this tile, what units are currently on a tile what cities are doing what each AI team is doing, what the combined benefits of each tile being worked by a city are, what bonuses and penalties are at work in any given scenario.

Game mem usage forcasting is going to have to be left up to Firaxis.

Well, we could use the existing Atlas UI, and make it call to either your .NET file or my java class, passing the parameters via a config file. I don't think calling it is a problem. Does .NET compile to an exe file?
                      Kind of, and that may be our biggest problem. It compiles to CLR and that runs on a VM. Quite a bit like java. Now whether that means anything to a "shell" command, I don't know. But, between that and the bitboard going out the window I'm seriously thinking of switching to C++... but then I'd have to write it all over again. Or, at least, translate it and that could take a few days.

Tom P.

Comment

Installation doesn`t work for me

Hi Junuxx,
                        I'm highly excited about the things I read in this thread
                        about your program. To me the drawbacks in the civ map generators so far deduct more from game fun then it might do for the ordinary other guy. So I'm very much looking forward to using your programs to generate my game maps for CIv4. javascript:smilie('')
                        thumbs-up

Unfortunately, however, after following your installation instructions no link to Atlas appears in Start->Programs.
                        Starting it with Start.bat from the Map Generator directory doesn`t work either. javascript:smilie('')
                        confused

I'm running Windows XP Home, but on a system localized to german language. Is this possibly causing mismatches with path names in your installation routine?
                        Or do I need special Java packages installed that don't come with Windows XP by default?

Please send me help to get your amazing program running on my system. I need that tool badly now that I know it exists (how did I get along till now?). javascript:smilie('')
                        I said do it!!

Whatever the outcome. Great Job, Junuxx! javascript:smilie('')
                        cool

Comment

Oops, Drag & Drop didn't work properly with the smilies in the posting template.

Comment

Update on the problem

Followed the link to the CFC forums and learned there that you have to install Java runtime environment 1.5.
                            Will do this and see if that does it.
                            Don't know if I read this Apolyton post too carelessly.
                            But it seems there is no mention of the runtime environment requirement in this post. Maybe you should add that information here also.

Comment

Hi Superstring.

You are right, the installer does not work for non-English windows versions, but start.bat should do the job.

What exactly happens when you run start.bat from a command prompt?
                              And what do you see when you type "java -version" in a command prompt (well, the stuff within the quotes, not the quotes themselves)?

Hope that helps!

@Padillah:
                              hm, 'compilation' in my previous post was supposed to be 'calculation', hope you figured that out.
                              I'm thinking about just recommending 128MB RAM per 500 land tiles (with 512 minimum).
                              And by the way, it's quite possible, at least in Java, to call all kinds of other programs with a shell command. Here is another utility I made that makes a direct call to Civ. Translating wouldnt be fun, I guess.

Comment

All my fault

Now I found the notification right in your opening post.
                                How embarassing to have written so much useless posts only for not reading it thoroughly.
                                But I'm too greedy to get this, so I wasn't able to read properly. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to delete my posts although I'm logged in correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X