No announcement yet.

Ebola outbreak in West Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Ebola isn't airborne, numbskull. In order to spread the disease, you need to come into direct physical contact with bodily fluids.
    Something that's difficult to do when there's an ocean separating you from Ebola. Thanks to the CDC, that's no longer the case. They've put every American in unnecessary danger.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Just don't let any men's semen touch you Ben and you'll be fine.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Something that's difficult to do when there's an ocean separating you from Ebola. Thanks to the CDC, that's no longer the case. They've put every American in unnecessary danger.
        The "danger" is already here.

What town are you in? (PM if you don't wish to share)
        I bet I can find an infectious disease testing lab close to where you live.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BTW, two Americans seem to be responding well to treatment. Treatment that results from research. Research that happens in high quality facilities IN AMERICA.

You're talking about a lot of people doing a lot of work. It just isn't feasible that create that infrastructure on the other side of the planet. It would be extremely expensive, time consuming, and would require a large group of people to uproot their lives... possibly dissuading the "best and brightest" from making the journey.

So what's more dangerous, putting Ebola research on hold while we build an entire infectious disease research infrastructure on another continent? OR JUST USING OUR EXISTING FIRST WORLD INFRASTRUCTURE

(just looking for a mention of the treatment, not using this as an example of an American research facility)
          The drug being credited with potentially saving the lives of two American missionaries infected with the deadly Ebola virus was produced in Owensboro.
          Last edited by Sava; August 5, 2014, 09:26.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Brantly is back on his feet -- literally -- after receiving a last-ditch, highly experimental drug. Another American missionary with Ebola got the same.

Brantly's and Nancy Writebol's conditions significantly improved after receiving the medication, sources say. Brantly was able to walk into Emory University Hospital in Atlanta after being evacuated to the United States last week, and Writebol is expected to arrive in Atlanta on Tuesday.

An experimental Ebola drug called ZMapp was given to two Americans infected with Ebola. The Americans are improving after being given the Ebola drug.

Story about the treatment.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What town are you in? (PM if you don't wish to share)
              I bet I can find an infectious disease testing lab close to where you live.
              Location sig. And yes, I'm sure there is. There's enough disease out there without the need to repatriate it.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

BTW, two Americans seem to be responding well to treatment. Treatment that results from research. Research that happens in high quality facilities IN AMERICA.
                Research on this can be done just as well in the field.

You're talking about a lot of people doing a lot of work. It just isn't feasible that create that infrastructure on the other side of the planet.
                If the US could do it in the case of the floods in the Indian Ocean, they can do it here. It wouldn't be that difficult to set up a field hospital for just two people on one of the islands in the Atlantic.

possibly dissuading the "best and brightest" from making the journey.
                What needs to be done besides treatment and monitoring that couldn't be accomplished elsewhere? This is the 21st century. Mobile diagnostics labs are not that uncommon, and they are already sending them into the region.

So what's more dangerous, putting Ebola research on hold while we build an entire infectious disease research infrastructure on another continent?
                Sheesh, float it on a boat. Set it up in a week. It could be done without compromising the research facility and without bringing Ebola into America.

Comment

Just don't let any men's semen touch you Ben and you'll be fine.
                  I'm surprised to see a doctor so blasé about this... They are having serious issues already with quarantine.

Comment

Location sig.
                    Dude. You're fucked!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm surprised to see a doctor so blasé about this... They are having serious issues already with quarantine.
                      Actually, the first patient is responding well to treatment, the other arrives soon, or has arrived.

Learn to read.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Research on this can be done just as well in the field.
                        Absolutely false.

You are completely wrong. Nothing you've said is remotely true.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Actually, the first patient is responding well to treatment, the other arrives soon, or has arrived.

Learn to read.
                          More patients in Nigeria and Morocco has it's first confirmed case. We still have a nice exponential curve and soon the victims will be in 4 digits. Containment and quarantine in West Africa is not there yet. It would be something to confine it to just three countries.

Comment

Absolutely false.
                            If we can float a carrier what's the issue with floating out a mobile diagnostics lab? They have finally started dropping some off in Africa to help with the crisis there.

You are completely wrong. Nothing you've said is remotely true.
                            What exactly do they need that can't be supplied on a small uninhabited island off the coast of Africa? Water isn't a serious issue with just 2 people. You don't need much space. You could do it on a ship if you wanted. Again, this is the 21st century.

Comment

At this point, the facts have been presented to you. Whether you choose to accept reality is another question.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If you want a secure research facility, what's stopping them from building one on an island in the Atlantic?
                                In a word? Infrastructure. All the equipment is already here, as are all the researchers and their families. They work on this stuff, here, every day.

You do not send everything out to Diego Garcia because it makes things much more costly, and you will likely suffer in recruiting personnel. For a similar reason you don't send billions in costly equipment and highly trained personnel to one of the most unstable regions on the planet. They already have mobs attacking health workers, accusing them of spreading the disease.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X