Page 38 of 117 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3499

Thread: A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

  1. #1111
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Flubber, I disagree. There are very few who follow the straight and narrow path like Ned and Stannis, to whom the next-in-line claim has actual meaning. For the others, who really don't know the truth, Stannis is what, third in line? If you're supporting a rebel in the Game of Thrones, then the one who has the most power has the "best claim," and that appeared to be Renly.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  2. #1112
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    38,113
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    No, Flubber has a point. After all, these Lords assert their dominion because they were the eldest son. Imagine if they put into their families' heads that someone other than the eldest son can have a valid claim. Would be dangerous.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  3. #1113
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,795
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Technically I think the only people that know for sure are Jamie and cersei with a large cast of people that suspect-- Joffrey himself may be ignorant of his true father.
    One notable thing about last night's episode is that both Jamie and Cersei came clean about their affair. Cersei admitted it to Tyrian and Jamie to Lady Stark and the 50 foot woman.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  4. #1114
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Avalon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flubber, I disagree. There are very few who follow the straight and narrow path like Ned and Stannis, to whom the next-in-line claim has actual meaning. For the others, who really don't know the truth, Stannis is what, third in line? If you're supporting a rebel in the Game of Thrones, then the one who has the most power has the "best claim," and that appeared to be Renly.
    It seems this was male line only so the apparent succession would be Joffrey, his brother and then Stannis, followed by Renly


    But the eldest stuff seems to be followed-- Sam Tarly was forced to take the black so he wouldn't be available to inherit--IT seems his dad couldn't just choose a younger son
    Croppled Bram rules as a lord despite his infirmity-- there is no thought that his able-bodied younger brother take over


    I realize if you rebel, you can ignore all the old stuff and say "I am king because I have the largest army"-- But here the "rebels" chose a guy that was 4th in line as it stood and 2nd in line on the argument that Joffry is a bastard Lannister. To me that remains an odd choice for rebels, particularly since it split the anti-Lannister forces
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

  5. #1115
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Flubber has a point. After all, these Lords assert their dominion because they were the eldest son. Imagine if they put into their families' heads that someone other than the eldest son can have a valid claim. Would be dangerous.
    First of all, we're not really talking legitimate succession - few people know the truth, and the Lannisters certainly aren't going to go public and give up their support of Joffrey "Baratheon" and let Stannis take the throne. So it's a rebellion. And secondly, Robert Baratheon took the throne from the Targaryens, who took it from whoever had it before. So the idea is already out there that might trumps valid claim.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  6. #1116
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    38,113
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    Might does - but Robert was, of course, first in line of Storm's End. And he was (as is pointed out) the person who has the best claim to the Throne of all the Targaryens just died (the Baratheon boys' grandmother was a Targaryen). There is a pecking order and even in rebellion they have to be cognizant of that.

    Now there is the idea I guess that the Tyrells and Baratheon banner men didn't know Stannis was going to be rebelling as well. They were already committed to Renly so what else could they do? Also, I guess a bunch of them were Renly's bannermen as Renly was given Storm's End and so would declare for him as soon as he said he was rebelling. Stannis comes later and it's kind of like... ooops.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  7. #1117
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Plus if the lineage is irrelevent, why was the king and small counsel so worried about a Targaryan being pregnant over in Dothraki lands. It seems obvious that lineage matters to most

    Imran-- you explanation makes more sense than most -- Renly rises up perhaps when Stannis is still seen as being with Joffry-- with his army raised and loyal to him, he doesn't feel like just handing them over to his brother


    Oh and the lineage issue can hardly be a secret now-- Wasn't it Stannis that sent a raven to every lord proclaiming the tale and hell-- even the common folk of Kings Landing refer to it from time to time
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

  8. #1118
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the eldest stuff seems to be followed-- Sam Tarly was forced to take the black so he wouldn't be available to inherit--IT seems his dad couldn't just choose a younger son
    Croppled Bram rules as a lord despite his infirmity-- there is no thought that his able-bodied younger brother take over
    It's followed for families. I think thrones are different.

    Bran is Prince of Winterfell, but is more of a figurehead than actually ruling, as his elder brother is Lord of Winterfell and King in the North. But he's old enough to do that duty, while Rickon is too young. When they become of age, if Bran were to become Lord of Winterfell, I wonder how many of the Stark bannermen would follow him. I suppose it would depend on Rickon, who would be a knight and perhaps eventual commander in the field. How many followers would Bran have if Rickon decided to take over?

    As far as Sam Tarly, his father is choosing another heir while he's still alive to make that choice.

    I realize if you rebel, you can ignore all the old stuff and say "I am king because I have the largest army"-- But here the "rebels" chose a guy that was 4th in line as it stood and 2nd in line on the argument that Joffry is a bastard Lannister. To me that remains an odd choice for rebels, particularly since it split the anti-Lannister forces
    I don't know how many people believe Stannis' claim of Joffrey's illegitimacy. So IMO they're going with who seems to have the best chance to win the throne.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  9. #1119
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might does - but Robert was, of course, first in line of Storm's End. And he was (as is pointed out) the person who has the best claim to the Throne of all the Targaryens just died (the Baratheon boys' grandmother was a Targaryen). There is a pecking order and even in rebellion they have to be cognizant of that.

    Now there is the idea I guess that the Tyrells and Baratheon banner men didn't know Stannis was going to be rebelling as well. They were already committed to Renly so what else could they do? Also, I guess a bunch of them were Renly's bannermen as Renly was given Storm's End and so would declare for him as soon as he said he was rebelling. Stannis comes later and it's kind of like... ooops.
    Well, if legitimate claims mean so much, then most of Renly's followers should have gone over to Stannis as soon as he declared himself king, right? But no one switched until Renly died.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  10. #1120
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plus if the lineage is irrelevent, why was the king and small counsel so worried about a Targaryan being pregnant over in Dothraki lands. It seems obvious that lineage matters to most

    Imran-- you explanation makes more sense than most -- Renly rises up perhaps when Stannis is still seen as being with Joffry-- with his army raised and loyal to him, he doesn't feel like just handing them over to his brother


    Oh and the lineage issue can hardly be a secret now-- Wasn't it Stannis that sent a raven to every lord proclaiming the tale and hell-- even the common folk of Kings Landing refer to it from time to time
    Well, it was Robert who was obsessed with wiping out the Targaryens. I don't know that the small council would have done anything (other than Littlefinger and Varys keeping tabs on them) without royal authorization for assassination.

    Yes, Stannis sent out ravens everywhere, but who believes his "story"? Didn't the Lannisters put out word that he's making **** up?
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  11. #1121
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Well if might is so much then why don't they all just declare for the Knight of Flowers??

    He is a renowned fighter and House Tyrell has been stated to have the 3rd largest army after the Lannisters and Starks. To flip your argument, why wouldn't they they choose Stark or Lannister or Tyrell--
    Thats what troubles me about the whole thing if you are saying the lineage doesn't matter. If you are rejecting Stannis why doesn't he stay rejected?

    Although we are of course missing the simplest explanation-- the Knight of Flowers was in love with Renly and supported his partner/lover bringing all the armies and bannermen of House Tyrell with them-- All those bannermen followed their Leige lords (the Tyrells) and Renly had his own bannermen that followed him directly.

    With Renly's death, the Tyrell armies went home following the grieving lover and widowed queen and everyone else switched to Stannis. logical -- just follow the leige lords--
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

  12. #1122
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Well, I guess you could say lineage matters, until it doesn't. And did Ser Loras, who happens to be the youngest Tyrell son, declare for the throne? No? So why would anyone declare for him?
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  13. #1123
    Jon Miller
    OTF Moderator Jon Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 May 1999
    Posts
    17,428
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    My point of view, the Tyrell's wanted to be king makers and put their own on the throne.

    So it was basically:
    Stannis (Baretheon, but one of the weakest)
    Renly (Tyrell and a bit of Baretheon, but definitely heavily Tyrell) - with Tyrell probably the strongest?
    Dorne stayed out
    Ayn stayed out (crazy)
    Stark (not nearly strong enough) but with Tully had a reasonable force
    Joffrey ( really Lancaster ) - lancaster might have the strongest army, but the crown is weak, and is theoretically the one attacked on all sides
    Greyjoy (the weakest)

    So basically, Tyrell wanted to be a power... similar to Lancaster/Stark for Robert

    JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  14. #1124
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Avalon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I guess you could say lineage matters, until it doesn't.
    Well every "king" out there was either the lord of one of the seven kingdoms or in the existing succession for the Iron Throne

    There are no outsider rebels out there really

    Stark has an ancient claim to be King of the North and doesn't really aspire to be more-- Joffry and Stannis are really in a succession fight as to their relationship to the deceased king etc etc.

    But my simple point was in a land where authority for most lords comes from them being eldest, you reject an elder brother at your peril.

    But on thinking this through, the Tyrell support for Renly was simple self-interest through both the lover connection with Loras and then them wedding the daughter-- If Renly became king the tyrells would have had a Tyrell as queen and another as lover to the king. Logic would not have entered into LOras thinking on this one

    Oh and I misremembered-- I think Tyrion said they were the third richest house but what I am reading indicates they had the ability to raise the largest armies by far-- earlier I think I commented they had the 3rd biggest army-- and that would be incorrect
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

  15. #1125
    Dinner
    Deity Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    30,893
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    15:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard similar from show watchers. I think they are just kind of ****ing up Jon Snow's story. There is a reason he is considered one of the favorite characters for book readers.
    Yeah, John Snow's character is great but a lot of his chapters in the books are of him thinking about stuff and trying to work things out. It's hard to turn that into a TV show.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

  16. #1126
    Jon Miller
    OTF Moderator Jon Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 May 1999
    Posts
    17,428
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Robert made the Baretheon lords be beneath Renly and not Stannis. This meant that they had a non-obvious choice and decided to go with their direct lord (Renly).

    I think that is the only somewhat questionable thing, but Tyrell wanting power and combining with Baretheon (Renly) makes sense from Tyrell's perspective.

    Are they not also an 'upstart house'.

    JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  17. #1127
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, John Snow's character is great but a lot of his chapters in the books are of him thinking about stuff and trying to work things out. It's hard to turn that into a TV show.
    Agreed-- It should be better from here on out. His interactions should get less introspective LOL
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

  18. #1128
    Guynemer
    Deity Guynemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 1999
    Location
    here
    Posts
    15,889
    Country
    This is Guynemer's Country Flag
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 332 Times in 227 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Miller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Robert made the Baretheon lords be beneath Renly and not Stannis. This meant that they had a non-obvious choice and decided to go with their direct lord (Renly).

    I think that is the only somewhat questionable thing, but Tyrell wanting power and combining with Baretheon (Renly) makes sense from Tyrell's perspective.

    Are they not also an 'upstart house'.

    JM
    IIRC, they took over those lands after the Targaryens wiped out the former house. They weren't even lords in their own right, but served as stewards to the previous house (I want to say... Gardeners?)
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

  19. #1129
    Berzerker
    Deity Berzerker's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 May 1999
    Location
    topeka, kansas,USA
    Posts
    11,865
    Country
    This is Berzerker's Country Flag
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?

  20. #1130
    Lord Avalon
    Emperor Lord Avalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2005
    Location
    Dpolyton?
    Posts
    4,474
    Country
    This is Lord Avalon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    17:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynemer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC, they took over those lands after the Targaryens wiped out the former house. They weren't even lords in their own right, but served as stewards to the previous house (I want to say... Gardeners?)
    From the Appendix:
    The Tyrells rose to power as stewards to the Kings of the Reach, whose domain included the fertile plains of the southwest from the Dornish marches and Blackwater Rush to the shores of the Sunset Sea. Through the female line, they claim descent from Garth Greenhand, gardener king of the First Men, who wore a crown of vines and flowers and made the land bloom. When King Mern, last of the old line, perished on the Field of Fire, his steward Harlen Tyrell surrendered Highgarden to Aegon Targaryen, pledging fealty. Aegon granted him the castle and dominion over the Reach.
    From the viewer's guide:
    For centuries, the Tyrells served and occasionally intermarried with House Gardener, the ancient family of the King of the Reach. But after the Targaryen conquest eliminated the Gardeners, the Tyrells bent the knee to the Iron Throne – and then rose to become principal house and Warden of the South.
    Mace Tyrell is Lord of Highgarden, Warden of the South, Defender of the Marches and High Marshal of the Reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?
    Two unfortunate kids.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

  21. #1131
    Dinner
    Deity Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    30,893
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    15:24
    Ygritte is a hottie and a half.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

  22. #1132
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    38,113
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But my simple point was in a land where authority for most lords comes from them being eldest, you reject an elder brother at your peril.
    Agreed.

    But on thinking this through, the Tyrell support for Renly was simple self-interest through both the lover connection with Loras and then them wedding the daughter-- If Renly became king the tyrells would have had a Tyrell as queen and another as lover to the king. Logic would not have entered into LOras thinking on this one
    Seems to be right. Let's just say the Tyrells tend to be an oppertunistic bunch - after all, you'll note they didn't declare for Stannis after the death of Renly.

    Oh and I misremembered-- I think Tyrion said they were the third richest house but what I am reading indicates they had the ability to raise the largest armies by far-- earlier I think I commented they had the 3rd biggest army-- and that would be incorrect
    IIRC, the Reach is the richest region after the gold mines of Casterly Rock.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  23. #1133
    Supr49er
    King Supr49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Jan 2006
    Location
    The Bear Flag Republic
    Posts
    1,652
    Country
    This is Supr49er's Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    15:24
    I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
    Is he the richest man in Qarth? I wish the writers would make this known.
    A man has asked.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

  24. #1134
    DaShi
    Emperor DaShi's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Sep 2000
    Location
    The Taste of Japan
    Posts
    8,449
    Country
    This is DaShi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 242 Times in 181 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    22:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?
    Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

  25. #1135
    Ecthy
    Emperor
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2000
    Posts
    8,887
    Country
    This is Ecthy's Country Flag
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Local Date
    October 23, 2014
    Local Time
    00:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Supr49er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
    Is he the richest man in Qarth? I wish the writers would make this known.
    A man has asked.
    More importantly, does he have any regrets about it?

  26. #1136
    Ecthy
    Emperor
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2000
    Posts
    8,887
    Country
    This is Ecthy's Country Flag
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Local Date
    October 23, 2014
    Local Time
    00:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?
    We see them earlier in the episode, I can tell this much.

  27. #1137
    Dinner
    Deity Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    30,893
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    15:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?
    The charred bodies of two small boys. Obviously.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

  28. #1138
    Dinner
    Deity Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    30,893
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    15:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Supr49er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
    Is he the richest man in Qarth? I wish the writers would make this known.
    A man has asked.
    Yes he supposedly came to Qarth with nothing, no he's not the richest just one of the richest (he's on the 13), and right now the TV series is going far away from what happened in the books.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

  29. #1139
    Guynemer
    Deity Guynemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 1999
    Location
    here
    Posts
    15,889
    Country
    This is Guynemer's Country Flag
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 332 Times in 227 Posts
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    18:24
    A man needs to better recognize sarcasm.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

  30. #1140
    Flubber
    Deity Flubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2000
    Location
    With a view of the Rockies
    Posts
    13,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    October 22, 2014
    Local Time
    16:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynemer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A man needs to better recognize sarcasm.
    LOL

    A man gets tired of the repetition on TV
    A man not watching may not comprehend
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Page 38 of 117 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 88 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HBO's A game of thrones
    By Heraclitus in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 18, 2010, 09:34
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 26, 2009, 14:39
  3. Asia Game Show AGS EXPO Trade Show!
    By konaxis in forum Civilization IV General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 30, 2008, 06:44

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions