A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?

She hasn't done anything differently. If anything, her release of Jaime was more justifiable in the show as opposed to the book.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Yea, I don't see her as being all that moronic or selfish. Holding onto Jaime was probably wiser, but considering she was afraid he wouldn't survive the night she'd rather get a bad deal for Jaimie then no deal at all.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• One problem of having read the books is that you see the little burnt kids and just go meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          ?

She hasn't done anything differently. If anything, her release of Jaime was more justifiable in the show as opposed to the book.
          Everything else I've read from non-book readers after the last episode was that Cat is an absolute moron and Robb should just send her home. Whereas in the books (not really a spoiler anymore), the word of Bran and Rickon being "dead" reached the camp, which caused Cat to be in despair that she only had one child aside from Robb alive. Hence her release of Jamie into Brienne's care was more an act of a grieving mother rather than a really stupid gamble.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
            One problem of having read the books is that you see the little burnt kids and just go meh.
            Its the same problem of people with half a brain.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
              Its the same problem of people with half a brain.
              I'll pass you the tissues.

Comment

• <-- has half a brain (I'll make no claims to more then that however):

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                Eek, lots of stuff going on this week! Will Jaimie survive? (no idea) Are Tyrian & Cersei going to kill Joffrey? (please!) Did Ricon and Bran die? (I doubt it)

Plus, **** going down in Qarth! And Stannis only a few days away!

And like every other episode, I don't give a **** about Jon Snow's plot line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  Everything else I've read from non-book readers after the last episode was that Cat is an absolute moron and Robb should just send her home. Whereas in the books (not really a spoiler anymore), the word of Bran and Rickon being "dead" reached the camp, which caused Cat to be in despair that she only had one child aside from Robb alive. Hence her release of Jamie into Brienne's care was more an act of a grieving mother rather than a really stupid gamble.
                  In the show, it becomes clear that Jaime is unlikely to survive the night (having killed Arnolf Karstark's son in his first attempt to escape, and King Robb is away from the camp at the time), so Cat takes the calculated risk of potentially freeing him for nothing versus the near certainty of his immediate death getting them nothing.

Much, much more understandable in the show. In the book, it is the act of a desperate madwoman. In the show, a shrewd, calculating woman.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Which is what I said. In less words.

Comment

• ::shrug:: I'm just saying what I've read in other threads on other forums. They all think Cat is a dumbass and the entire Stark family is full of morons.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

::shrug:: I'm just saying what I've read in other threads on other forums. They all think Cat is a dumbass and the entire Stark family is full of morons.
                        Did they call them morons or morans?

Comment

• I guess one of the reasons I'm inclined to believe the Cat haters (? ) is because I'm not happy how she was portrayed in Season 1. In show, Cat is pleading with Ned not to go, while in the books Cat is the one telling Ned that he's gotta find out what happened to Jon Arryn. Because of this (in the books), Cat has massive guilt over Ned's death and she's dedicated to make sure she's not responsible for any of her other kids dying. It defines her character - because of she feels she caused Ned's death, she becomes very overprotective of the rest.

Comment

I think perhaps the show people are streamlining the book - though its a shame. In the books the woman Robb goes for (Jeyne Westerling) brings up all sorts of fun questions...

Spoiler:
                            ie, did the Westerlings allow for the marriage of Jeyne to Robb in order to win favor with their Lords, the Lannisters?
                            Spoiler:
                            Jeyne Westerling's mother kept giving Jeyne an abortifacient, without Jeyne's knowledge, to make sure she didn't conceive. The parents were very upset about their daughter's choice in spouses but couldn't speak up due to Rob having an army but they did cut a deal with Tywin to insure her safety in exchange for giving her the "moon tea". It's all in the song of ice and fire wiki.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I guess one of the reasons I'm inclined to believe the Cat haters (? ) is because I'm not happy how she was portrayed in Season 1. In show, Cat is pleading with Ned not to go, while in the books Cat is the one telling Ned that he's gotta find out what happened to Jon Arryn. Because of this (in the books), Cat has massive guilt over Ned's death and she's dedicated to make sure she's not responsible for any of her other kids dying. It defines her character - because of she feels she caused Ned's death, she becomes very overprotective of the rest.
                              But if she is seen as a dumbass for making rash decisions because of being overprotective, wouldn't the fact that she is less overprotective in the show make her less of a dumbass?

Comment

• Actual reason for overprotectiveness >>> no really good reason for overprotectiveness (relative to situation of course) in "dumbass" ness.

Comment

Working...
                                X