No announcement yet.

Why is 'Poly covering RON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Well, lots and lots of Poly folks are playing RoN, often times drawn to this effort to bring some TBS elements into an RTS. Sure, Poly folks also play AoK, etc., but they don't bring over lessons from Civ and AC. Besides, it has the CtW campaign, which is clever.

2) It's also a game made by a guy responsible for most of what made Poly possible (Civ2). Support for Brian alone is good enough reason for me if enough people at Poly are playing the game.

3) It's replay feature (nothing new, but still) is *perfect* for a community like this in which we'll soon be watching the best players develop strategies...something we never really saw in any convenient way with Civ.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

well plus it's 0000b3r |337
      First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
      Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

I just can't wait for the RoN background themes.

Comment

I'm really a Civ player.

I play RON in "Civ Mode". That is, I play in extra slow speed, pause all the time, and have tech research set to normal/slow or expensive/slow.

It works for me. RON is the best game I've played for years.

Comment

I was totally surprised to find RoN on Apol, but also totally happy. I thought I'd have to sort through 10 sites to see which one was the ph4t o|0g but I can just get the same great stuff I'm used to on my fav site. RoN's a great game that is trying to cross the chasm. It's still dominated by RTS skills but it's opened up a lot of potential for future games as well.

Apol 0\/\/nrX th# a0L0z0rz!

Comment

This is an entertaining thread. The Leet-speak part had me laughing out loud. Anyways, Reynolds was a key player in Civ2; it's only natural that 'Poly would cover a new game from him... even if it is just another lame RTS, AoE-clone.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

even if it is just another lame RTS, AoE-clone.
                lame?

AoE clone ...some truth in that ...

... even more truth in seeing it as AoE III ... though I doubt that Ensemble Studios appreciates either comparison.
                i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  quote:
                  Post is reported to the mods !!

I *am* a mod (Just not of this forum )

Ok.., a real mod then
                  Consider it reported.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by wilebill
                    lame?
                    Yup
                    AoE clone ...some truth in that ...
                    Of course... this game is EE with a few tweaks
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yup
                      Care to elaborate?
                      i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

You're trolling the on-topic forums for post count now, Sava?
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Didn't you notice? The "Conquer The World" mode in RoN is a classic TBS game (what a great idea to embed RTS into TBS).
                          Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            You're trolling the on-topic forums for post count now, Sava?
                            trolling? hardly... I guess when anyone disagrees with you they are trolling

god forbid I think RoN isn't a good game

and what do I need post count for? I was a regular on the Civ3 forums before even knowing there was an off-topic. and now, you chastise me for wanting to share my opinion. Perhaps there is an inquiring soul out there looking for an objective opinion on this game. I'm doing a public service by off-setting the RoN-fanboy club.

If you've never played AoE, EE, or any other AoE-clone RTS; then RoN will probably be a game you enjoy very much. But after many hours, I've realized this game is simply the same old crap. The empire-building aspect isn't nearly as fun as it was advertised. I'm glad I didn't pay for this game. Don't get me wrong, I like RTS's. But this game doesn't do anything that puts it above or beyond any previous AoE clone.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm ... I wasn't serious. Apparently I was the one who was trolling then. My apologies.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Not that I care if you are trolling, but:

just another lame RTS, AoE-clone
                                without something called, uh, thought or development is the definition of trolling. I'm sure you do think the game is lame, but if that's all you have to say, please move on. If you want to say something intelligent about the game's 'lameness,' however, we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Until then, a troll you shall remain.
                                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                                X