Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is 'Poly covering RON?

I'm confused!

RON is an RTS game right? So why is it being covered so comprehensively by 'poly? Shouldn't 'poly be sticking to turn based games like Civ and MoO and such?

After all, 'poly doesn't have a AoK forum, and even EU is only in the other games forum, so why not just put RON in the other games forum too?

Let's stop this degredation before it gets any further!!

RON is an RTS game right?
    Well yes, but with TBS-like features. But anyway probably the main reason is that Brian Reynolds was lead designer on Civ2, which makes following what he does a natural choice for Apolyton...

Comment

Isn't this site called 'Apolyton - Civilization Site'? Nowhere does it say 'Apolyton - TBS Site' as far as my eyes can tell.

It's quite obvious Rise of Nations is heavily influenced by Civilization. Rise of Nations is just as viable as, if not more viable than, Master of Orion for example.

Comment

So why not also cover AoK?

My objection isn't so much covering the game itself, but that it will change the type of member we have at 'poly. I certainly don't want 'poly to become somewhere that 'l33t d00dz' (or whetever they call themselves) hang out.

Comment

I think those 'l33t d00dz' will find RoN a bit too complicated and deep for their liking.

Age of Kings only spans one age (don't get me started, the four 'ages' in AoK aren't really significant changes), but Rise of Nations spans the entire history of human civilization as we know it. Fits more in the site's theme don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh

My objection isn't so much covering the game itself, but that it will change the type of member we have at 'poly. I certainly don't want 'poly to become somewhere that 'l33t d00dz' (or whetever they call themselves) hang out.
            Cause whats his name, bruce whatever(?), of ensemble worked on the first Civ?

1. Cause he wasnt nearly as important in the civ line of games as Brian Reynolds. Brian was lead designer on both Civ2 and SMAC. Brian is important to this community in a way that Bruce is not.
            2. Cause while AOE/AOK was originally conceived as Civ in RT, it is the opinion of the site owners (and many others) that RON is closer to that than AOE/AOK.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well, Poly has to support Brian Reynolds all the time, maybe then he'll agree to make another brilliant TBS game for us.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I think those 'l33t d00dz' will find RoN a bit too complicated and deep for their liking.

Age of Kings only spans one age (don't get me started, the four 'ages' in AoK aren't really significant changes), but Rise of Nations spans the entire history of human civilization as we know it. Fits more in the site's theme don't you think?

The l33t guys appear everywhere... we have some here, too, 'interested' in Civ. Of course, you shouldn't try to say that AoK players are like that. While it's true that the majority of AoK players are younger than the majority of Civ players, it doesn't mean that they're worse or less mature - maybe just slightly so.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Of course not all Age of Kings players are so-called 'l33t d00dz', and I doubt Rogan was implying that but Apolyton has a relatively low number of these people and since 'l33t d00dz' prefer RTS over TBS, Rogan is concerned to see an increase of the number of 'l33t d00dz'. They're not worse or 'beneath us' or anything, but I doubt most people here are waiting for persons coming here to post 'rofl I r0x0r u n00b' etc.

Having Rise of Nations covered at this site makes perfect sense, since it's the closest thing to a real time Civ game you'll get for now and that's what this site is all about right?

Comment

Well, people that post too much crap get banned by our noble moderators . And while l33t guys prefer RTS, I do quite seriously doubt we will see many here. And actually, they love FPS even more, usually .

Comment

Indeed, not that RTS and FPS aren't fun... quite the contrary, but some of the people during a multiplayer game are really pushing it

Comment

Besides, I can't stop remembering what some l33t sites had to say .

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                          Well, Poly has to support Brian Reynolds all the time, maybe then he'll agree to make another brilliant TBS game for us.
                          ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Brian Reynold's Civilization IV
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You never gonna see that, Firaxis owns the Civ trademark .

Comment

It would be funny if BHG named their TBS series Civilizations

Comment

Working...
                              X