Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was lied to; this game isn't unique at all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Triphosphatase is outnumbered here.
    -PrinceBimz-

Comment

no its not completely linear...each major branch controls TWO branches...civic branch for example in addition to its own advances controls how how u can take your religion , and taxation techs. each of which is up to u how far u want to take.

each of the 4 major branches isnt merely stuff u take as a matter of course in a linear way. if u expect to win u need to figure out which one u need the most and develope that 1st. 2nd or 3rd or not at all . or how many levels before considering other branches.
      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Ah so you are saying you need a BUILD ORDER for tech. Thats pretty much what I said in my first post.

And just because the 4 Library techs along with Ages (which may as well be a 5th tech branch) unlock building upgrades, is that really a tech tree ala Civ3? I guess it is strictly speaking, but really this isnt anything all that new in an RTS. They just added the library on top of things that have been done plenty before.

olaf

Comment

RTS is RTS is RTS is RTS...

The bottomline is simply that RoN isn't dramatically different from the other big RTSes. It's easily apparent that it is following the same tried-and-true formula, and then adding its own innovation/ideas/etc.

RTS fans rejoice.

For those of us who got bored with RTS after Warcraft II, I don't think it's going to bring us back into the fold.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think many of the tweaks like setting default stances from buildings, having a border, being more modifiable etc could easily have been done for Age of Kings with a patch. Was it necessary to make a completely new game?
            Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
            Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

What I would have liked to have seen would have been a different tech tree for each age. Whenever you chose to advance to the next age (to get new buildings, new options etc), any techs from the current age that you haven't researched ARE ABANDONED. So you never get to research everything. You have to make choices. Next age now with better stuff but miss out on some good techs or risk waiting...
              Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.

Comment

Originally posted by olaf
                How are the research trees varied at all? They are completely linear and most of them are must haves to get a) more cities (civics) b) more units(military) c) bigger commerce caps (commerce) d) knowledge (science) all of which you MUST have if you are going to be competitive.

Have you played the game? Because from your comments, it sounds like you havent. The guy who collects the most resources and builds the most units the fastest is going to win. Just like most RTS games, the S is for speed not strategy.
                Ahh, but it is in how you collect the resourses and WHEN you upgrade and WHICH you choose to upgrade that is where the economic strategy lies. The way your talking sounds as if it's lal cut and dry "hit the collect resourses button to get resourses,"when it's really much more complicated than your making it sound.
                "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
                - UberKruX

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  RTS is RTS is RTS is RTS...

The bottomline is simply that RoN isn't dramatically different from the other big RTSes. It's easily apparent that it is following the same tried-and-true formula, and then adding its own innovation/ideas/etc.

RTS fans rejoice.

For those of us who got bored with RTS after Warcraft II, I don't think it's going to bring us back into the fold.
                  Boris, take a look at Yin's post about RoN. It makes things much more clear regarding RoN's innovations and how they affect the gameplay. Maybe you'll change your mind...
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by ACEofHeart
                    well, I was intially scratching my head why a RTS game was on Apolyton.
                    Because virtually every RTS game I have ever played the "S" in RTS did not stand for strategy", it stood for "speed". It always came down to how "fast" you gather resourses, how "fast" you went to the next age..how fast you cranked out units,, how "fast" you can scroll the map in battle, how fast .. well....blah,, blah,, blah... you get the idea...
                    Exactly! Which is why I've said goodbye to the RTS genre. I still occasionally play AoE and Starcraft, but I'll never buy another RTS game, no matter who the developer is, no matter how pretty it looks, and no matter how much it's hyped. Maybe it's a matter of growing older and losing patience with the twitch-and-scroll-real-fast thing. I like immersive strategy games that make me think.

Comment

The problem i have with this game and with many uninformed players of it is that many of these so called "innovations" that are supposed to help you save time such as setting stances from the factory, auto group joining, etc. these were all done 6 years ago by a game named TA and it did them all better in an easier way to use. It even has better features than recent games in terms of queing, building construction and Unit control. Yes RoN has borders, and cities. These affect gameplay but if they're a pain to use because ease of use features that were put into a game 6 years ago still aren't being used I find it unplayable. I trully find it a pain everytime i play an RTS that isn't as easy to use as TA.

Don't spend your money on RoN. Find TA in a bargain bin and play it. Then try out the many full fledged races for download and the many total conversions of the game. Then you will see what an RTS should be like!!

Comment

Ianworld, I already have TA and the expansion packs. Where is the best place to go for all the game conversions and races - and is there a "modswapper" equivalent so you can still play the original game?

Comment

Have you played the game? Because from your comments, it sounds like you havent. The guy who collects the most resources and builds the most units the fastest is going to win. Just like most RTS games, the S is for speed not strategy.

I'm going to disagree with this. I'm an old-school TBS gamer with low click speeds and I manage to play RON very well thank you. You ARE correct that developing a material advantage is going to help your position. It would be a strange game indeed if that wasn't trule. It's just that you don't need to be an insane clicker to acheive a decent level of play.

Comment

To sum it up, RoN is as deeply strategic as an RTS can be.

Paul, I don't know who thought an ddid the UI, but here send him a hug from me

Comment

I want to see what the editor does. I want to see what kind of mods are going to come from this. This is what could take the game to "the next level".

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm

Boris, take a look at Yin's post about RoN. It makes things much more clear regarding RoN's innovations and how they affect the gameplay. Maybe you'll change your mind...
                                I did, and I responded.

What's more, I just checked out the demo.

RoN looks like a truly superb piece of game-making, and the developers seem to have done a beautiful job with it.

But it's still at its heart an old-school RTS. It has a lot of cool, innovative features, yes. But it's just not a game I will become entranced by. I've always found RTSes, while entertaining, ultimately hollow. This does not appear to be an exception.

I hope you all have fun with it!
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X