No announcement yet.

disaster at amazon.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your perceptions mirror my own. I'd hate to be in a position to actually defend the beta testers but I heard they found what we found but were being suppressed by QS so they can focus only on what bugs they were interested in (MP crashes, etc.). Many of the testers are people like us. It is interesting to note their silence however. Don't know if the non-disclosure statements may have something to do with that. I would think they would be released from that after the game is out.

:Insert favorite Smilie here. Too tired to think of one right now.:
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

"The principal gamer of my social group..." I gotta remember that line. But anyway, if a game isn't fun for you don't play. Its just as simple as that. And the game itself has been stable, no crashing i've found, no conflcits. Only thing i've seen has been that DirectX Sufrace error, which comes about them not supporting alt+tab. Also, QS has said they toned down AI for release, given that theres been success in making the AI more aggressive just by text editing the spreadsheet files i'm inclined to believe them. The only problem really encountered was even with the text editing they don't launch many ground invasions, which is probably something in the code QS has to change. Be nice if they would include it to be modable by players though, so people can make killer AIs once patch is out.
      "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
        I'd be very interested in knowing how Moo3 sales develop. Being the principal gamer of my social group, I have personally prevented at least five people from buying this turkey, and I hear similar stories elsewhere.

I put in my hours, I tried, but nothing can make Moo3 fun for me - unless, of course, they release a patch that amounts to a new game. Given how they lied to us about the developement project - honest, we're sitting on the game to fix the last teeny-weeny bugs, because we want it to be perfect: yeah right! - I guess I could say I have absolutely no confidence in the QS or their 25 selected yes men - I guess non of these guys actually noticed the AI doesn't fight back?
        I see you are very bias. First you may not like the game personal but you have no right to tell other people not to buy it.
        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

No right to tell others not to buy it? I've advised others to wait, preventing purchases as well. I'm not pleased with myself, buying it the day of release instead of learning from the last few times I let pre-release excitement take me.

We should be gratefull indeed that it was delayed so long - I can only imagine how much worse word on the street would be had they let it go gold in November. Just imagine: An extra half-year refined it to what's being played now.

The potential is there. It's too much work for most people - including me - to find it in the game's current condition. I already have a full time job with databases and spreadsheets, and other hobbies as well.

After a week of playing I still don't understand what I'm doing, and I do not have "one more turn" syndrome. I have not lost track of time playing this game. Nothing that's happened has felt rewarding.

If the patches make the game worth my time, then I'll recommend it to others. As it is now, it deserves the 1 or 2 stars out of 5.

And now for some humor - here's a reprint of alternative titles taken (and not credited) from the IG forum. It's hilarious.

Voyeur of Orion
          Galactic Bureaucrat
          Byzantine Galaxy
          EGA Fighters
          Beat the Clock
          Cease Your Actions!
          Master of the Turn Button
          DIY Empire Management
          Sensei Orion 3: Senate Victory Surprise!
          To Serve Klackon
          Accountant's Galactica
          Master of Refunds
          Space Bug
          MOO3: Dude, Where's My Jewel Case?
          Clerk of the Orion Sector
          Master of Watching-Tiny-Dots-on-a-Combat-Map
          Not Master of Your Domain
          Galactic Insubordination Simulator
          Bob in Accounting: 14022 GC
          Warmest Congratulations: Chinese-to-English Diplomatic Success in American Programming
          Troopship: Armada
          Starship Scrapfest
          Spreadsheet of Orion
          Middle Manager of Orion
          Sim Betatest
          DirectX Roulette
          Troopship Accumulator
          Quicken 3000 Empire
          Excel Wars
          Plan 9 from Infogrames
          The Rise and Fall of the Third MOO
          Dante's MOOferno
          Troopship Tycoon
          MOO3: AI {deleted by Rantz}
          MOO3: Dude, Where's My Refund?
          Obsolete Fleet Commander
          Alice in Polygon-Free Zone
          QuickSilver Software Alarm Clock Pro v3.0
          CPA Final Exam
          Techs and Objects of Unknown Purpose Accumulator
          Clearly a Budget (Lots of Numbers in it)
          Hitchhiker's Guide to the Turn Button
          As to you thinking that he had 'no right' to advise others that the game is in horrible condition for retail and should not buy it yet, I'll kindly invite you re-think your position.

Comment

but you have no right to tell other people not to buy it.
            Oh for crying out loud. And where, pray tell, did you discover this?

I trust that he was simply giving his opinion and his friends probably appreciate his advice.

What next . . . jail time for giving an opinion? Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal

After a week of playing I still don't understand what I'm doing,

Good lord, people. It ain't that hard.

What do you do at your job? Sweep floors?

Arguments against graphics, lack of feedback, wimped out AI, etc., are all valid complaints. That adult human beings can fail to understand what they are doing in the game after a week of play forces me to wonder about their life competancy...

-infidel

Comment

Originally posted by Chronus

Oh for crying out loud. And where, pray tell, did you discover this?

I trust that he was simply giving his opinion and his friends probably appreciate his advice.

What next . . . jail time for giving an opinion? Sheesh.
                Opion is one thing tell other not to buy make it sound like he is commanding then not to buy it is than other thing. I did warn some people there were afew game that where release that would when you uninstall then remove half of your windows system file so you would have to do than full
                install of windows the people I told this to use they computer to run than home bussien also. Since the company that relese these game make than patch that correct this problen.
                By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Infidel proclaims:

Good lord, people. It ain't that hard.

What do you do at your job? Sweep floors?

That adult human beings can fail to understand what they are doing in the game after a week of play forces me to wonder about their life competancy...
                  Oh, I'm sorry.

So, you know that designating Infrastructure in your Dev Plan has no overlap with either Military or Government emphases... or perhaps Morale? Or you know how many devplans are considered on a rich, yellow-ring well-built up world near the edge of your empire, and which are prioritized besides the three known ones (all planets and the two visibles)? Or the point at which Secondary world becomes a Core world?

Perhaps you can tell when your new weapons are working right by seeing their effects in battle, and which defenses your enemies are using against the technologies you're employing, so you know how to plan your tech/shipyard strategy.

Maybe you know for sure whether or not the AI changing devplans over the course of the planet's development does or does not allow the AI to wipe out old DEAs and put in new ones, or if you need to do some manual pruning?

So... do you know why what you do does what it does, or do you trust to the AI to be doing it right, and plan strategies not knowing if they're optimal or not and just click Next Turn, grinning like a gibbering simp?

Figuring these out, without already having a 9-to-5 job, takes a bit more time than I have.

But, of course, since I don't think MOO3 is perfect I'm either a janitor, an incompetent bumbler, or both (I'm not sure if you're calling janitors imbeciles or people who don't love MOO3 imbeciles).

People complain about lack of feedback. You mention it yourself as a valid complaint. How can you possibly know what you're doing if you don't have adequate feedback?

or, Q.E.D., as you edumacated folk like to say.

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal
                    And now for some humor - here's a reprint of alternative titles taken (and not credited) from the IG forum. It's hilarious.
                    Great to see they have a sense of humour!
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Here is an interesting review.
                      Flash
                      Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                      the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Back to the thread topic--- despite the bad reviews, and even worse forum feedback, as of two hours ago MOO3 was #14 on Amazon.com's game sales chart. This can't be pre-orders. It shows how much people want this game. Maybe a good patch will give it some legs despite the awful start.

Comment

I am glad it is selling as if it does not that will not bode well for another of games down the road.

Comment

jeebus, that techtv review was harsh.

not that i am deriving much entertainment from moo3, but still...

ah, well. back to moo2/smac(x)/civ3|2 for now, until i give it another shot when the patch arrives.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                              I am glad it is selling as if it does not that will not bode well for another of games down the road.
                              Amen.

Comment

Well personally I think word of mouth is pretty important. I was the first one who got MoO3 in my community, and everyone was envious when I advertised that.

Regrettably, everyone was similarly disappointed when I pointed out all the flaws. I didn't say outright 'do not buy it' but I pointed out why it didnt meet my expectations. (Yes, we probably DID expect MoO 2,5... so what?)

Roughly 10 people who are great MoO2 fans and more than just casual gamers decided not to buy it on my input. Some got Space Empires IV instead. Thats the one good thing MoO3 did, I never would have discovered that pearl without it.

As for amazon reviews, at amazon.de we got exactly the same thing. Lots of good reviews before release ('reviewing' before release is pretty stupid imo anyway) and 90% 1 and 2 ratings with texts expressing disappointment after release... So I don't think its trolling, its just a fact that many people ARE seriously disappointed with it. And apparently NOT many people like it enough to bother to go and post good reviews...

Btw, that TechTV interview is interesting... Its bashing the game pretty hard, and down at the bottom thers a link... 'Buy it now at amazon.com'...
                                Anyone else think that funny?

Lata
                                Krait

Comment

Working...
                                X