disaster at amazon.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 people at Amazon, 50 don't like
    100 people at the poll just here, (rather a fanboy base !) more than 50 don't like ...
    I think there's a problem ....

Comment

Errr...guys the developers didn't even WANT to call it MOO3. Infrogrames told them to use it for marketing purposes.

Comment

UGO: When did you realize Quicksilver would be able to get the rights to and develop the next in the Master of Orion series? How did you feel when it was a fait accompli?

William C. Fisher: Actually, that was the easiest part of the process. I literally bumped into a producer from MicroProse, Michael Mancuso, at E3 in June of 1999. My business development manager stopped to introduce us and then ran off to a meeting. Mike and I talked for a while, realized that we had a lot in common, and the next thing I knew he was flying down to visit us. A few weeks later, they offered us four possible titles, including both Master of Magic and Master of Orion. Since Master of Magic was being done in-house at that time, we were perfectly happy to choose MOO3.

Needless to say, we were thrilled at the opportunity to update a franchise like this, and we immediately launched a vigorous design effort.

Comment

Originally posted by booje
          Errr...guys the developers didn't even WANT to call it MOO3. Infrogrames told them to use it for marketing purposes.
          Errr... where did you hear that?
          "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Originally posted by PDifolco
            60 people at Amazon, 50 don't like
            100 people at the poll just here, (rather a fanboy base !) more than 50 don't like ...
            I think there's a problem ....
            We know that it isn't to everyone's taste but 200 votes out of the tens of thousands of units shipped simply isn't a large enough sample to get any kind of serious feeling for the popularity of the game.

The people most likely to vote on all these websites are those who feel bitterly let down so post a minimum score and those who feel obliged to retaliate by voting high. MOO3 isn't deserving of either a minimum or maximum score. Personally I'm not going to vote for it anywhere until the patch/es arrive.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by booje
              Now that's an interesting comment.

Please explain....
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                We know that it isn't to everyone's taste but 200 votes out of the tens of thousands of units shipped simply isn't a large enough sample to get any kind of serious feeling for the popularity of the game.
                Are you familiar with the concept of statistical sampling? 200 can certainly by a very relevant sampling.

The people most likely to vote on all these websites are those who feel bitterly let down so post a minimum score and those who feel obliged to retaliate by voting high. MOO3 isn't deserving of either a minimum or maximum score. Personally I'm not going to vote for it anywhere until the patch/es arrive.
                This is very true; the amazon ratings could be a biased sample. However this would mean that other games are also skewed negatively for the same reasons...

Fortunately, this is very easy to check. Here are the 10 most recent amazon ratings for new games off the top of my head:

MOO3: 4321112112 = avg 1.8
                NWN: 124155555 = avg 3.3
                IcewindDale2: 5235525355 = avg 4.0
                DungeonSiege: 5545312345 = avg 3.7
                WC3: 4555555544 = avg 4.7

I think this disproves your disgruntled gamer theory.
                "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

NWN nights and certainly Dungeon Siege deserved far worse and WC3 deserved far better...

Oh well...
                  Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                  Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                  7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                    NWN nights and certainly Dungeon Siege deserved far worse and WC3 deserved far better...

Oh well...
                    I just grabbed the 10 most recent votes (for speed). I didn't even look at the overall rating. I was surprised to see 1's for NWN, myself.

Comment

I think there some trolls with multiple accounts that blast the game as much as they can. I found one on the Gamespy MoO3 player review and there were around 10 first time posters, all with the same spelling mistakes.

Comment

Crostoneman,

1. That could be true of any game.

2. Those that are rabidly "pro" Moo III could be doing the same thing.

My point is that your explaination for the low numbers seems a trifle far fetched. It might have some impact down (or up! see my second point), but I don't think it is a good overall explaination. A better one, IMHO, is that Moo III as written is sadly substandard (putting it kindly).

-Polaris

Comment

Re: disaster at amazon.com

Originally posted by Ray K
                          I would especially like to thank QuickSilver for completely screwing up one of the greatest name brands in the PC game history.
                          Possibly true but still a bit harsh.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I like this game as it is realy than groundbreaking game which have some teeching problens. When the first personal
                            computer came out there some teeching problen with the hardware and operation system. I than talking about the Apple computer (not the MAC but the first they release to the public).
                            By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

whats wrong with NWN? I mean besides the lack of cloaks, robes, an interesting single player storyline. . .

oh. forget it.

i still liked it though. . . it let me be a dwarf with a gigantic ax, which is about all i ask from a game.
                              By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

I'd be very interested in knowing how Moo3 sales develop. Being the principal gamer of my social group, I have personally prevented at least five people from buying this turkey, and I hear similar stories elsewhere.

I put in my hours, I tried, but nothing can make Moo3 fun for me - unless, of course, they release a patch that amounts to a new game. Given how they lied to us about the developement project - honest, we're sitting on the game to fix the last teeny-weeny bugs, because we want it to be perfect: yeah right! - I guess I could say I have absolutely no confidence in the QS or their 25 selected yes men - I guess non of these guys actually noticed the AI doesn't fight back?
                                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Working...
                                X