February 28?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 28?!

Outrageous. All I can say is outrageous.

AMAZON SHINING RELEASE LIGHT?
    (14 December 2002, 23:57 | MoO3) Three separate reports have been received from Amazon.com customers who were delivered an automated email response from the online retailer today in regards to pre-orders of Master of Orion III from their site. The letter begins:

We have contacted our supplier concerning the status of your order for "Master Of Orion 3."

The representative we spoke with indicated that this item has not been released, and is not expected to be released until February 28, 2003. If we receive additional information about this, we will let you know.

The message is continuing to fuel the ongoing speculation over the game`s eventual release date which has been pushed back on several occasions and is currently in official limbo. While not specified, the supplier referenced above is most likely Infogrames, the game`s publisher. Thanks to djaustin, David P. Crandall, and Vorlock for their respective news tips on this matter. - DanQ

Comment

This is really going to hurt them commercially. IG is going to make a lot less sales. And QS is going to get slapped with a penalty clause. Great work, Alan. The project was really off-kilter. Designers running around too much and the coding not getting done on time.

Comment

*Groan...*
        If that's really how much they've been pushed back, the bad press is REALLY going to sting. Sure, I have every intention of getting the game whenever it DOES come out and yes, I hope they make good use of whatever time they're given to fix problems that crop up BEFORE release (considering the dual-nightmares of endless patches for CivIII and multiplayer that didn't work out of the box for PtW). But this is getting rediculous. I really hope this isn't going to be another Battlecruiser 3000 AD debacle...surely they WILL fix the bugs, but the bad press...
        *Groan...*
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Where is that icon with the head banging on the wall, when I need it?

Comment

Originally posted by GP
            This is really going to hurt them commercially. IG is going to make a lot less sales.
            Why do you, like so many people complain about that? I think that is IG's problem. If they lose sales, so why do I care? They won't lose mine.

And QS is going to get slapped with a penalty clause.
            Why? It's the publisher (IG) who releases the game not the developer (QS). Chatz already stated that there was a policy on IG's side that it would go gold on Nov 28th, no matter what. This has changed for reasons he didn't want to share and probably has to do with internal "politics".

Great work, Alan. The project was really off-kilter. Designers running around too much and the coding not getting done on time.
            You do know that Alan has left the dev team quite some time ago? And that there has been a redesign?

Comment

<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Why do you, like so many people complain about that? I think that is IG's problem. If they lose sales, so why do I care? They won't lose mine.

Bad sales could prevent future games from QS being published, and some people would like to see MOM2 be made, and maybe later on a MOO4, this will be hard if the MOO series flops and dies at MOO3
                <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

What do you complain about one IG-Representative giving 28.02.2003 as Releasedate?

I wouldn´t trust those statements more than the statements of the Online-Shops about the date. I think IG became simply careful after so many shifted dates in the past.

IMHO the game will go gold as soon as they have fixed the last few bugs and be released shortly thereafter. Maybe it takes as long as Feb. 28th, but maybe we will see the game going gold within the next weeks. It isn´t a thing any IG-Representative can foretell and I think even the Developers aren´t able to do it
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

You guys assume that this information came from Infogrames. I find that unlikely. That doesn't mean that late February is a possible release date. It still could be. But chantz has said once and for all that IG will not set any new release date, nor will they release any more ínformation, untill the game goes gold, be it this month, or next month or whatever.

I find it much more likely that Amazon are just covering their collective asses, and issuing a standard message that they have used before in this type of situation.

Of course I could be proved wrong. I am not omniscient. But chantz was very specific. No info to neither fans nor retailers, nor online shop untill the game goes gold.

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Wahngrok
                      There is no immediate impact on me. But ultimately if they are ineffecient, they will go out of business (not making games for me any more). Also, the losses they take will make them less likely to try projects like this any more.

Why? It's the publisher (IG) who releases the game not the developer (QS). Chatz already stated that there was a policy on IG's side that it would go gold on Nov 28th, no matter what. This has changed for reasons he didn't want to share and probably has to do with internal "politics".
                      The game didn't release because it isn't done yet. I'm sure the publishers have some language int he contract to pretect them when the creators don't manage their project effectively.

You do know that Alan has left the dev team quite some time ago? And that there has been a redesign?
                      Yes. I think a lot of the problem goes back to this. A lot of lost time.

Comment

Welcome back, GP. Having your particular brand of corporate hardass cynism around is actually a relief. Could you please go spank the CBs a bit too?
                        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

And on topic:

I'm happy if its true 'bout Feb 28th. Why?

1) My pool bet on Feb 2003 turns out to be a winner.
                          2) They might actually have the time to fix the most glaring bugs by then.

All you people crying to high heaven about how this is gonna cost'em a bucketload of sales need to chill... it's not like they aren't eminently aware of that, is it?
                          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
                            Welcome back, GP. Having your particular brand of corporate hardass cynism around is actually a relief. Could you please go spank the CBs a bit too?

Just for the fun of it? Or have they been misbehaving recently?

I worry about that project, knowing that Vel published a novel through a vanity publisher. (Did some reading about these things on pro writer websites recently. Vanity presses are a big scam...and a sign of a desperate writer.)

Comment

You are right. I should chill about the lost sales. Still it's a pretty bad sign...

Comment

Working...
                              X