MOO2 on Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO2 on Vista

I got it to run on Vista simply by moving the file DPlay.dll from the DirectX directory on the CD to the game directory on the hard drive.

Didn't need compatibility mode or anything.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Good to know, if ever install Vista. It is still in my drawer and may stay there.

Comment

That is why I posted it.

For what it's worth I like Vista quite a bit. Of course, the new computer it came with certainly helps.

ACK!

Comment

I have no longer worries to upgrade my computer since I heard of DOSBox. With the help of DOSBox, the Dos version of MOO2 (orion2.exe) works even on Vista64bit/XP64bit, Linux and MAC OS.

Even MP games work between these different operating systems.

And it is very convenient to play MOO2 in a window. The 640x480 resolution looks a bit outdated in fullscreen now (at least on modern monitors).
        "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

I find DosBox to be irritating. So I don't like to use it.

ACK!

Comment

Try using Dfend as the interface for DosBox. It makes it just a a double click and play.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
              I got it to run on Vista simply by moving the file DPlay.dll from the DirectX directory on the CD to the game directory on the hard drive.

ACK!
              Thank you for posting this. I had given up trying to get MOO2 to work on Vista. I moved the file as you suggested and MOO2 now works just fine. I had to change the display from 32 bit to 16 bit and that is all I had to do.

Having been some years since I could last play MOO2 this was as good as getting a new game for free.

Comment

Next we will be faced with Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post

ACK!
                  Is that after you install it? I'm not able to install it at all.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                    Is that after you install it? I'm not able to install it at all.
                    I have the same problem. As far as I can tell, the installer is trying to access the cd in a way that Vista disapproves. I solved this with a bit of a hack: I copied all the files from the cd to the hard disk, created a text file called (IIRC) orioncd.ini, then configured DoxBox to mount this directory as C: and wrote the letter C in the orioncd.ini file.
                    What I haven't yet figured out is why the game offers to automatically update my ship designs and doesn't offer me access to the design screen (that button is deactivated). It' been several years since I played, so I may have overlooked some setting.

Correction: according to this site , the orioncd.ini file should contain the full path to where you copied the game files. I'll try this tonight when I get back home.
                    Last edited by Dr. A. Cula; August 14, 2009, 04:20.
                    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

You need to select tactical combat to be able to design and upgrade ships. If not selected the game will do it and that will be gray. IIRC it is the top of the three buttons at the game set up.

It has Tactical, Antaran and Random events.

Comment

That did the trick, thanks.
                        The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Interesting! Thanks Tuberski. I've only managed to run MOO off of DOSbox.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                          X