Recomend Grandpa Troll a good Role Playing game on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomend Grandpa Troll a good Role Playing game on PC

I been playing online Renaissance Kingdoms, basically you are a worker and have to earn a living, buy food, buy clothes, ect.

You have to get different points to advance, from strength to reputation points.

I was wondering, are there any PC games (RK is a MMORPG) witha similiar format?

I had never played a game of this sort and thought it would be fun, having to go through and build one self up as an individual as oppossed to a whole civilization.

Thanks in advance!

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Never Winters Night 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
      Never Winters Night 2.
      Thanks Dale

Very close, but say without mystical powers, more along say a real feel of a real human with no specific era, heck, would be something like maybe a Max Payne feel but not so much of a battle and kill feel.....more interact and perhaps having to join an army or defender corp..(Militia)

Any chance?

Comment

Hmmmm, Fable could be interesting for you I suppose, though it's a bit more story oriented.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Thanks Dale

Very close, but say without mystical powers, more along say a real feel of a real human with no specific era, heck, would be something like maybe a Max Payne feel but not so much of a battle and kill feel.....more interact and perhaps having to join an army or defender corp..(Militia)

Any chance?
          Maybe the Sims (seriously) ... an entirely open-ended RPG, basically, with no 'role' to play except 'human'... especially if they have any fantasy-setting Sims packs?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Maybe the Sims (seriously) ... an entirely open-ended RPG, basically, with no 'role' to play except 'human'... especially if they have any fantasy-setting Sims packs?
            I have SimCity4..is that what you mean?

What i was more speaking of was interacting in a virtual world environment, maybe as a farmer who builds his finances and then moves up the social rung..for lack of better wording

I guess a military type would be ok, say your a boot soldier...basic archer or what have you and have to earn gold to buy armor or a sword...to advance

Just looking for possibilities..thanks Snoopy369!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Hmmmm, Fable could be interesting for you I suppose, though it's a bit more story oriented.
              Do you have to find objects and interact with characters?

Thanks for any feedback!

See the problem I have is I could google a quere but with you or somone else, perhaps you have played something and either it was soo lame or whatever, i could process that information and make a decision based upon what i want to experience!

Thanks again for taking time to answer me my friend!

Gramps

Comment

Sounds like you want that game.. I forget the name of it, Second Life?

I don't think there's really anything out there that you want.
                be free

Comment

...City of Heroes? Freedom Force?
                  Probably too heroic for what you want... but I'm just throwing this out here.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

A heavily modded Morrowind(GOTY edition) is one of the most satisfying build yourself up single player rpg's I've played. My game is massive with the mods(landmass 50% extra of full GOTY game/thousands of extra clothes and weapons etc/hundreds of new quest lines to follow), so big I may never finish/find it all. So that game is a keeper for me

I had promised a while back to run a thread on all the steps needed to build a massively modded morrowind(using wyre mash), but well real life has been getting in the way. Dig around the other morrowind threads here and I'm sure you will find some great links to where to go to start to do this for yourself - I may still get around to making that thread, but well that in itself is quite a big task!

But yeah worth the effort if you want an ultimate build your char kind of game. You can address most of Morrowinds issues with a good selection of mods(to make it harder etc).

I find DnD based rpgs too.....well....DnD! thats a fine upstanding system but I like to try something different and Morrowinds 'improve as you use' skill system is a great one for that sense of achievement, and to a certain extent, realism.

Or for a different thing what about Mount&Blade - a little combat centrict maybe? but I understand they have been adding a lot of new stuff(I haven't checked it out recently though).

If you want to go real hard-core and oldschool then you could take a look at these:

1. Alternate reality - The City/and The Dungeon:

Seeking to remind myself why Alternate Reality: The City is one of my favorite games of all time, even amidst massively multiplayer game worlds and games approaching nearly life-like graphics, I recently started up a new character on an emulator and found the game still extremely challenging, mys...

That thread explains all you need to do to get the full AR experience on a modern PC.

2. Realms of Arkania - old school team rpg with lots of stats, very good character creation and a huge game world. Pleanty of game to lose yourself in, and a tbs combat engine

The Trilogy is probably what you want to look out for - I've just got the first two in the series, but still have yet to complete them(after years of getting into them etc).

3. A huge ammount of stuff like Ultima/Forgotten Realms etc is out there. All great rpg games. Oldschool can be where its at

EDIT: OPPS! i doubled some text! sorry.
                    Last edited by El_Cid; September 22, 2008, 16:57.

Comment

he doesn't want fantasy crap.

And I agree, I've had enough of fantasy.
                      be free

Comment

Gothic 2

then

Gothic 2 with the expansion pack

Comment

Fallout

Seriously, it's a good time to play Fallout now, and it's a classic. It's not a fantasy game (the setting is a post-nuclear, irradiated and ugly America) and there's a bit less heroism involved. It doesn't have a plot where the world's survival depends solely on you, you definitely can help a lot but it's a bit less heroic than most RPGs. I love Morrowind but it definitely has one of those classic hero-type stories, basically, the fantasy province it's set in depends solely on you to save it from a big evil.

Fallout does have you getting reputation points as well, your treatment of people affects how they treat you and you build up your reputation as you go. Then there's the traditional RPG character development, of course, as in you get better fighting, scientific and other skills. You get to travel with your own party of guys that you can hire. You can even try to play a pacifist game where you get involved in little combat and get around most issues through conversation and other skills, though frankly that's often more challenging than blasting your way through.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Some great choices!

I'll look into these later today, again, thanks for feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                              Fallout
                              Second that, gramps. If you haven't played it before, definitely check it out at least.
                              XBox Live: VovanSim
                              xbox.com (login required)
                              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                              Spore page

Comment

Working...
                              X