This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then when are you going to provide one?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Then when are you going to provide one?
      i already did in the OP. Whether you think its correct, whether you think its biased, its the statement of someone important in PC gaming. Someone whose company is actually running one of the new business models.

You dont have to like and can call it spam if you like.

Meanwhile we've moved on, Nostromo has provided something else to discuss, and we've been discussing that. if you really have nothing new to contribute (surprising, given your technical knowledge) Im sure there are other threads you can contribute to.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Leave Asher and his XBox alone.
        be free

Comment

why does that sound horribly sad?

So has this Spore thing come out yet(for PC obviously)? I know it has it's own section here, and I haven't been keeping up with it....but are we still waiting? This is probably my next new PC game purchase, I also still have a large back catalog of great stuff still to buy(mostly for my older PC's).

But yeah, good new PC games are thin on the ground - we can probably all agree on that. Is it dead as a platform, no; just having a nap untill common sense pervades the industry imho.

Comment

Fortunately, Spore is not yet out.

Comment

I saw the specs recently and you'll need something beefier than IG to run Spore, BTW.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

The specs say you can use IG...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You're right. Never mind then. Either way, Spore will suck.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

more "spam" from a professional PC advocate, but some interesting points within, I think

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

"Q: And it's primarily this year's NPD sales figures that are behind that perception?
                    Stude: I chuckle when I read through the articles or opinion that say that PC gaming is in a decline and they continue to quote NPD's North American retail sales figures as the reason why they believe they're in decline.

The reason why I chuckle is that NPD decided in the first quarter of 2008 to attempt to quantify North American MMO subscription revenues. And lo and behold, after just a quarter of research, they found--under a rock that they hadn't looked at before--a billion dollars. So what does that tell you? I think they were very limited in terms of the number of games that would even support their research request, so it's not even a comprehensive review of the entire industry. A certain number of companies self-reported to NPD and the rest of the numbers were extrapolated from press releases and figures that were publicly available.

So if you add the billion dollars they claim to have found in annual subscription revenues on top of the $920 million that they were previously reporting in retail, suddenly the PC game piece of the pie is closer to a quarter of all software revenues generated in North America. That's one platform out of eight that's generating a quarter of all the revenues. There isn't another platform generating that big of a share of the pie. And that is woefully underreported at a billion dollars. That's why we're here. That's why we're trying to course-correct the research and reporting problem in PC gaming today because there are decisions that are made based on the results that NPD publishes. It impacts where publishers invest their big budgets to develop new games. "

Thats all rehash, IIUC. But now for some news.

Q: Can we expect a public statement from the PCGA soon?
                    Stude: In August, we will announce at GCDC (Games Convention Developers Conference in Leipzig) or IDF (Intel Developers Forum) the first set of financial research for global hardware and software sales, as well as lay out the time line for when the minimum system requirements committee will have their first guidance out of their work. Those are the first two key milestones that are coming out this year. The research results will come out in August and shortly after that the system requirements.

We will see what they actually announce in August. Good to see the PCGA is actually doing SOMETHING.

Theres much more detail on the standards issue, which I wont quote here.

Some stuff on piracy:

Q: You also have a piracy sub-committee. What kind of piracy initiatives are in the works?
                    Stude: What I can tell you is that we're collecting research on PC game piracy that doesn't exist today. That's the first thing we're doing, trying to have some understanding of how big it is, and then hopefully quantify the economic impact to the PC game industry. If we get to the point where we see it being an overwhelming challenge for the industry--and I would say off the top of my head that I think it is an overwhelming challenge for the industry--but if we find that we need to make certain recommendations for the future based on the size and scope of the problem, we'll go there.

We don't intend to become the police force for PC game piracy. We're not the RIAA, we're not going to become the RIAA. Rather we're a group that's trying to look out for PC gaming, and if there's a problem with it, we're going to make industry recommendations to all the members.

And i find this particularly interesting

Q: What do you make of Valve's nonparticipation in PCGA?
                    Stude: I actually expect Valve to join at the right time. That what I dialogued with them about
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Aww I love you so much LOTM! Give me a huggably soft hug!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                        Fortunately, Spore is not yet out.

I think this

looks like a clever take on the "RTS paradigm" = recognizably RTSish, but breaking alot of RTS cliches.

Comment

• Nice to see it was developed by two 12 year olds.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                            Nice to see it was developed by two 12 year olds.
                            I have great admiration for todays young people. POTM and her classmate did a version of Word:Mastermind in Java for their end of year of project. I look forward to playing it. And some time after that, Spore

Comment

• Is it politically incorrect to say that game looks gay in a really bad way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
                                Is it politically incorrect to say that game looks gay in a really bad way?

dunno, but didnt you think the same thing about The Sims? A good omen for Maxis, then.

Comment

Working...
                                X