Mass Effect PC: DRM'ed Alien Sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

A cursory search at a certain website reveals that this is false.
    You know what "nuked" means, right?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I didn't break any rules

Comment

I'm presuming graphically intensive new games will start being a lot less graphically intensive relative to the state of the art.
        well that would still be good for the PC as a platform,no? Since it would mean that new budget PCs could actually play new games.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Is Mass Effect playable on the PC yet?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
            well that would still be good for the PC as a platform,no? Since it would mean that new budget PCs could actually play new games.
            It would make things possibly even harder for game developers, making the whole thing a wash.

Comment

A cursory search at a certain website reveals that this is false.
              Then he must be covering up his guilt.

Comment

It would make things possibly even harder for game developers, making the whole thing a wash.
                wait a second. Are you saying that we are hitting diminishing marginal returns in graphics improvements in general (included closed platforms ie consoles) or that we are hitting diminishing marginal returns on PCs only?

If the former, it would make it harder for developers on all platforms, but would specifically address a key problem in the PC market the last decade or so, the very large proportion of new PCs sold which cannot play any new games, and which, we are told, turn off potential new PC gamers ("what, my Emachines $300 (with Intel Supermagic IG ) special CANT play any of those kewl games in the store, this PC gaming thing sucks, Im getting an XBOX")
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Can we get back to discussing ME please? There is another thread for discussing other junk, or make one

ME is playable. It still crashes for me, but I can live with it. I just upgraded my video drivers, so perhaps the newest one will have some ME fixes...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    wait a second. Are you saying that we are hitting diminishing marginal returns in graphics improvements in general (included closed platforms ie consoles) or that we are hitting diminishing marginal returns on PCs only?

Not quite either. We aren't getting diminishing marginal returns in the sense that the pace of graphical improvement is slowing down. we're a long way from graphics being "good enough" the way sound is.

We are, however, reaching two situations:

1. It's becoming progressively more expensive and difficult to generate the content for each generation of graphics hardware. On the PC, this is exacerbated (a lot) by the difficulty of development for the vast number of card/OS permuations, and the fact that graphics have to be designed on a sliding scale.

2. It's now possible to buy a computer that can handle "good enough" graphics for this generation for a lot less than it used to be, which means it's harder for graphics companies to sell the high-end chips that fund the bleeding-edge R&D. This is exacerbated by (1), which has resulted in very few games being produced which need a high-end chip.

We're not getting diminishing marginal returns in the sense that each generation of graphics represents less of an improvement. We're getting diminishing marginal returns on the $ investment it takes.

Consoles are less susceptible to this than PCs, being stable platforms, played on less demanding displays (a TV is usually a lot farther away than a monitor), using older hardware.

Comment

• Seriously... please take the console/pc discussion to the appropriate thread...
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Humm, was there a thread for actuall game discussion of ME? You know, what's the best armor, who's got the best lines (Wrex), etc?

I do still see a bunch of bugs. In the safe-cracking minigame, the character on occasion moves as I move the arrow. Rather distracting. Also, my guns often overheat... And stay that way. Only a quicksave-reload unjams them. No, it's not an enemy engineering talent. Quite annoying, as one cannot allways save-reload...
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• I am pleased to report that when I played this game on the 360, many months ago, I faced none of those issues.

Comment

• I'm pleased to report that I finished my first playthrough a few days ago and had no issues other than those caused by my idiocy

Comment

• Must have been a rough ride.

Comment

• It was actually

Comment

Working...
                                X