SimCity... the end is near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adagio
    If it's that important to be able to make a beautiful city, then how is it that the first SimCity games are that well liked? It's not like SimCity classic or SimCity 2000 had great graphics
    SC2000 was fun because of the gameplay, which they subsequently ruined in SC3000 and SC4.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
      SC2k looked awesome in it's time.
      QFT. SC2k had great graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        Realize that SC has never been a realistic urban simulation of anything, and chill
        I believe I've already said that I agree on that, and I believe I've also said I don't want it to be less realistic than it already is, which it will be when tilted mill makes the game

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        Don't start making "the end is near omfg!" threads just yet
        I could have used almost the same thread title as the one on the tilted mills forum: "You killed Sim City"

Originally posted by snoopy369
        SC2000 was fun because of the gameplay
        Exactly...
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

believe I've already said that I agree on that, and I believe I've also said I don't want it to be less realistic than it already is, which it will be when tilted mill makes the game
          uh, how do you know that?

Comment

who cares anyway. this is such a dumb argument. go outside and play some basketball. i too was worried about the gameplay of the latest sim city spinoff based on two screenshots and a developer comment in a forum , but then i played some bball and got myself a girlfriend.

Comment

Some of the buildings shown in the Simtropolis thread are quite interesting...

Aside from the deformed Chrysler Building in the first screen, I recognize a couple rehashed skyscrapers from Shanghai, and a cloned Iranian monument in the last one.

The overall feel of the graphics isn't so much the image of a city, but of an urban themed amusement park. Like DubaiLand

Can you say copyright infringement? This themepark goes so far as to copy a building in Dubai itself!
              Attached Files
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Meh, I kind of like the idea of having buildings modeled after existing ones. It gives a greater sense of reality to the game. I think it looks a bit too cartoony in those screen shots though. All I've ever played in this series is SC Classic though, so everything is judged accordingly (hopefully I'll be an SC4 virgin for only a few more days though!)
                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                  SimCity... gameplay? My good man, what are you on, and may I have some? The point of SimCity, unless you're simply idly playing it to pass time, is to build a *beautiful* city within the rather loose economic constraints the game imposes on you.
                  What? Are you crazy? The whole idea of SimCity is to while away time.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What? Are you crazy? The whole idea of Video & Computer Games is to while away time.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Why is the traffic light floating?

I hate this game already and I have only seen the screenshots.

Gameplay AND graphics are both valuable to the final product making a success. I imagine it takes as much time for a good graphic designer as it does for a good programmer to complete the same quality of work. So there should be no excuse for having crappy graphics. The above is so bad, it looks like 1995 rendered cut-scene movies.

One of the things that made Simcity great, was its realistic factor. This has gone in the opposite direction. I won't buy it; it must be boycotted to save Simcity 6.
                      be free

Comment

One of the things that made Simcity great, was its realistic factor.
                        simcity 2000 had buildings that housed like 40,000 people. it let you control funding and placement of everything in the city. it featured alien attacks.

that. is. not. realistic. how. many. times. must. i. make. this. clear.

you have no idea they are going in the "opposite direction" with this game.

you don't like 3 early screenshots of the game. boohoo. enjoy your boycott, it's not juvenile at all.

MOTHER I DO NOT ENJOY YOUR PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES AND I SHANT EAT THEM UNTIL YOU FIX ME PROPER SUPPER.

this is what you people remind me of. dwight from the office, when he was being raised in a farm and watched animals boning each other and became highly neurotic and yes, absurdly demanding. he was shunned for 3 years for failing to save excess oil from a can of tuna, is there a similar experience in your history!?

Comment

One of the things that made Simcity great, was its realistic factor.
                          Why is there a comma after "great"? I have never understood people doing that. THERE IS NO GRAMMATICAL JUSTIFICATION FOR IT, and i am highly confused by seeing it everywhere.

Comment

Commas are inserted where the writer would have a slight pause if reading the text aloud.

Comment

THAT IS WHY YOU ARENT MAJORING IN ENGLISH

Grammar

The comma has several uses in English grammar, all related to marking-off separate elements within a sentence:

please look there for explanation of how to use a comma, thanks.

maybe I should start an alarmist thread

GRAMMAR ....THE END IS NEAR
                              Last edited by Wiglaf; June 12, 2007, 00:13.

Comment

Calm down Wiglaf, have a puff of NZ grass.

I don't care how well dressed I am, just like I don't care how well I stick to proper grammar. As long as people understand what I say, why should I care so much?

Anyway, you said SC2000. Wiglaf, sigh.. SIMCITY 2000! It came out, when? '93? It wasn't easy to make games realistic back then, and I'm sure Maxis weren't aware of what direction they were taking SC until they reached SC3, it was then they noticed what their target audience was.
                                be free

Comment

Working...
                                X