No announcement yet.

SimCity... the end is near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't care what it looks like, the game play is much more important to my enjoyment, but less to sales than eyecandy. Strange how this thread has changed from what it will play like to what it will look like....no wonder marketing is confused.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
      I really don't care what it looks like, the game play is much more important to my enjoyment, but less to sales than eyecandy. Strange how this thread has changed from what it will play like to what it will look like....no wonder marketing is confused.
      Of course how it plays like is the most important part, but considering that we only have screenshots (and a few quotes on the tilted mill forum) we can't comment much on the gameplay, except for the fact that tilted mill hasn't made any games with great gameplay yet
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Er, graphics are pretty important. If I put a lot of effort into a city it ought to look pretty cool.

Comment

If it lets me have realistic traffic management (dramatically more so than SimCity 1-4), then I'll be happy. If it doesn't, then to them and to me buying it.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

A preview is up:

he mere fact that you can now select and place all the buildings (rather than watching them spring forth from your zoning) sets the stage for a major metamorphosis.

Just great... they take the WORST feature from city life to replace one of the best features in SimCity

no pipes to lay, no power grids, no manual emergency-response funds to disperse, no individual building-funding.

This is both good and bad... My guess is most SimCity fans would hate those changes, but personally I'm happy that we don't have to lay those pipes manually... IMHO it didn't really add to the game

The game introduces six "social energies" (such as Wealth or Obedience) that influence your city's look and feel

Sounds interesting, but hopefully it wont be anything resembling city lifes take on this. But based on the preview it doesn't sound like it... If done right, this could be good

Sims (yes, they're using that term) will skip work if they're in a bad mood or start engaging in criminal activity

Skip work? How would they show this in the game?

Comment

And there's a few more screenshots available here:

Help, guides, and discussion forums for SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, and other City-Building games.

Comment

The game introduces six "social energies" (such as Wealth or Obedience) that influence your city's look and feel
                Sounds interesting, but hopefully it wont be anything resembling city lifes take on this. But based on the preview it doesn't sound like it... If done right, this could be good
                I have to say, the "Obedience" part caught my eye.

Sadly, it probably wont match my expectations of roving squads of death guards and an ambiance of sims wailing in anguish.

Comment

Hmmm maybe I should play Black and White 2 again, mainly to enjoy the wailing of despair, my own mostly, no doubt.

Comment

No, get back to fixing BtS already.

Comment

SimCity... gameplay? My good man, what are you on, and may I have some? The point of SimCity, unless you're simply idly playing it to pass time, is to build a *beautiful* city within the rather loose economic constraints the game imposes on you. I'm the first to demand more focus on gameplay than graphics in most kinds of games - I happily play roguelikes, for instance - but in SimCity, it's important that the game can make the city you worked hard on look beautiful. More important, IMO, than the details of things like how to make a working subway or plumbing network, since you don't see those things anyway (and, for what it's worth, most of the time later on you don't see things like bus stops either).
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala

The point of SimCity, unless you're simply idly playing it to pass time, is to build a *beautiful* city within the rather loose economic constraints the game imposes on you. I'm the first to demand more focus on gameplay than graphics in most kinds of games - I happily play roguelikes, for instance - but in SimCity, it's important that the game can make the city you worked hard on look beautiful.
                        Spot on
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

If it's that important to be able to make a beautiful city, then how is it that the first SimCity games are that well liked? It's not like SimCity classic or SimCity 2000 had great graphics

Comment

Adagio, this developer quote is what freaked you out earlier:

This SC is not a realistic urban simulation, which I understand, to many, represents the heart of what SC is.
                            Realize that SC has never been a realistic urban simulation of anything, and chill. Don't start making "the end is near omfg!" threads just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                              If it's that important to be able to make a beautiful city, then how is it that the first SimCity games are that well liked? It's not like SimCity classic or SimCity 2000 had great graphics
                              The basic urban planning, which was in no way realistic, was fun and yes, back then watching your city grow from a few green plots into a huge metropolis was pretty cool.

I thought a big city in SC2000 was awesome looking. Standards change.

Comment

SC2k looked awesome in it's time. I don't care for the realism and I have played all SC's and loved them. I don't mind good graphics, in fact while I don't care much for them usually, I want them in a SC game. But I never use the zoomed in function. It's the view of my city getting bigger and fluorishing I love so much.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X